TVOntario & TFO DTV Transition Status (closed) - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 11:16 PM
Veteran

Location: Dunnville, Ontario on the Grand River, North shore Lake Erie
For the discussions on TVO's expenses regarding digital upgrades, the term "digital production facilities" mostly refers to the ability to have digitally produced [virtual] backgrounds, while the actual on set filming was done using a green or blue background.

http://www.cybercollege.com/tvp026-2.htm

3D SSH III with ZZ4 refl. http://imageshack.us/user/jmsdigital
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 11:25 PM

Well, TVO acquired a digital HD "Air Pack" portable studio in 2008. The specs of which indicate it's capable (in fact designed for) HD recording. During 2008-2009, they launched their digital tapeless production facilities, and named them after a former Premier of Ontario. Doubtful they'd go to such lengths for the simple ability to produce digital backgrounds...

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #63 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-22, 02:48 PM
Veteran

This might be sacrilege to some in this forum but for broadcasters like TVO maybe it makes sense to switch to internet distribution of their content in addition to BDUs and to not bother with OTA transmitters, particularly outside of the big markets. Given their unique educational focus and government ownership they could probably retain their "must-carry" status. Perhaps this is a better way for them to fulfill their vision which is "To empower people to be engaged citizens of Ontario through educational media. "

post #64 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-22, 03:17 PM

Wayne: The problem with Internet distribution is that broadband is still costly and/or logistically difficult to obtain in much of Ontario. There are many regions even in Southern Ontario that lack viable broadband options. Not everyone lives in a city or town with cable and/or DSL.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #65 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-22, 06:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88 View Post
Wayne: The problem with Internet distribution is that broadband is still costly and/or logistically difficult to obtain in much of Ontario. There are many regions even in Southern Ontario that lack viable broadband options. Not everyone lives in a city or town with cable and/or DSL.
That may be true but I would bet that for schools that showing content on PCs is a better option than watching on TV, especially if you have content available on demand. But for all I know they have been doing that for years.
post #66 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-22, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
This might be sacrilege to some in this forum but for broadcasters like TVO maybe it makes sense to switch to internet distribution of their content in addition to BDUs and to not bother with OTA transmitters, particularly outside of the big markets. Given their unique educational focus and government ownership they could probably retain their "must-carry" status. Perhaps this is a better way for them to fulfill their vision which is "To empower people to be engaged citizens of Ontario through educational media. "
Because of the fact TVO is funded by taxpayers, they have an obligation to deliver the service to people free of charge without forcing any of us to subscribe to a cable or satellite service, or require people to have internet access.

I really would like to see more of a DTV educational campaign going on here. I've already corrected several friends, who had assumed the digital transition meant they would be forced to switch to cable to receive any televison, that terrestrial reception was simply "going away". And even as far as to suggest I was pirating TV when I explained I was receiving high definition signals without paying anything.
post #67 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-22, 08:57 PM
Veteran

the nice letter or email or whatever from Laura at TVO, points out thier position if you read it right:
"...by the required date of August 31, 2011; the mandatory markets in Ontario..."
It looks to me that TVO's position is that they are being forced to convert, which to me, sounds like it would be a gov't way of begging for more money from us taxpayers.
I suspect that they'll transition to DTV only if and when the Ontario Gov't tells them to. and wouldn't the ontario gov't want money from the Feds, since they're being forced to meet the "required" date for "mandatory" transition? I don't know where the 'free of charge' part comes in, I pay a lot of taxes.

Samsung TV, Pio-Elite AVR, OppoBD, Wharfedale Speakers, Kicker/Crown Subs, DB-4e OTA:)
post #68 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-22, 11:19 PM

Quote:
I don't know where the 'free of charge' part comes in, I pay a lot of taxes.
TVO gets about $30 million a year from the Ontario government. By my calculation, that's less than $3 per Ontarian. Not a bad deal in my opinion.

Now if only they would get on with the conversion to DTV...
post #69 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-23, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.F.1 View Post
I don't know where the 'free of charge' part comes in, I pay a lot of taxes.
Let's be sure now to differentiate between *paying* for something, and being *billed* for something.

All of us in Ontario pay for this TV station to operate through our provincial taxes. Which entitles us therefore, to receive the service without being further *billed* to receive it. There is no charge, because you've already paid for it.

This is why I would be quite upset if the government decided to continue TVO in a Cable/Satellite only fashion, as I believe this would be cheating many in Ontario out of TV they've already paid their fair share to receive.
post #70 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-23, 08:16 AM
Veteran

The cost of converting to DTV will eventually pay for itself in the cost reduction of electricity usage, since DTV requires a lot less power to cover the same area.. Some small LP stations in the U.S. have done the conversion for as low as $100K per transmitter. I can understand why some broadcasters want to wait until the deadline so they don't have to operated 2 transmitters at the same time. The DTV stations currently operating in the major markets should be allowed to shut down their analog transmitters asap, meaning now.
post #71 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-23, 09:00 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewdc View Post
The DTV stations currently operating in the major markets should be allowed to shut down their analog transmitters asap, meaning now.
There are a lot of people still using those analog broadcasts because they are unable to receive the DTV ones due to lack of awareness or lack of funds to buy a digital box. To allow the stations to shut down early without warning would be a huge disservice to those people. As it is we are running out of time to educate the public with the current shutdown date. Lets just focus on making the current schedule successful without pushing the agenda further.
post #72 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-23, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.F.1 View Post
I suspect that they'll transition to DTV only if and when the Ontario Gov't tells them to. and wouldn't the ontario gov't want money from the Feds, since they're being forced to meet the "required" date for "mandatory" transition? I don't know where the 'free of charge' part comes in, I pay a lot of taxes.
TVO already has HD production capability. I think they needed it to get 16:9 and HD for their foreign sales of children's programming. The French language side of TVO, called TFO, is already available on Rogers Cable channel 609 in 1280 x 720P. I think they will convert TVO to DTV on-channel where possible which means the conversion will probably be in 2011.
post #73 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-24, 11:13 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
In the SunTV News Channel Application Means No DTV Anymore? thread there is some speculation about what could be done with SunTV's OTA transmitters. One of the ideas was they could be sold to TVO. The Ottawa and London transmitters are not only on the same tower as TVO, but they are using the same antenna. For Toronto, they are both on the CN tower. With these three transmitters, they could be up and running with minimal effort and greatly reduced expense in early 2011.

TVO doesn't have a Hamilton transmitter, so that one could be moved to either Windsor or Thunder Bay for post transition use. They may also be able to scavenge bits from SunTV's 2 analog transmitters.

It is also conceivable that SunTV could give them to TVO as a charitable donation and get a tax receipt. The big question with this is, does SunTV own the transmitters, or are they leased. If leased, they would have to either take over the lease or buy them from the actual owner. Since I believe TVO owns the tower in London, it is conceivable they already are the owner of that transmitter.
post #74 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-26, 10:39 AM
Veteran

I would have thought CBC owned the Byron tower and site, but might not because they got into TV later (1988 or so, when Blackburn dis-affiliated CFPL from CBC).
post #75 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-26, 11:09 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
I would have thought CBC owned the Byron tower and site, but might not because they got into TV later (1988 or so, when Blackburn dis-affiliated CFPL from CBC).
I might be wrong. I just seem to remember reading somewhere (Sun TV's DTV application?) that TVO owned the tower.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in