TVOntario & TFO DTV Transition Status (closed) - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 771 (permalink) Old 2009-12-08, 01:49 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Yes we are Back to TVO DTV please.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 771 (permalink) Old 2009-12-08, 01:59 PM
Veteran

I received an email back from TVO yesterday, describing all the things they're doing to get ready for Aug 31, 2011, but no mention of having HD available to BDUs earlier.
post #48 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-01-10, 03:16 PM

TFO HD

The French language counterpart of TVO, TFO, has been available on Rogers Cable in 720P HD for several weeks on channel 609. HD versions of basic service French language channels SRC, V, TVA, RDI and TV5 are also available. Several other channels that are carried in French service packages are also available in HD to subscribers taking those services.

post #49 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-05-04, 12:24 AM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
16 months to go

TVO doesn't seem ready to divulge any details publicly - like when and where they will go digital. The speculation seems to indicate only where they have to and on the deadline date which is probably a good estimate of what the answer will be.

They longer this goes on, the more I start to believe the transition will happen after the deadline and tvo will go dark for a while except if you have cable or satellite.

I notice that TVO has a section on their press releases called "Where to find TVO".

It says "Cable channel 2 (channel may vary in some areas), Bell TV channel 265, Shaw Direct channel 353". No mention of OTA at all.

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #50 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-05-04, 10:42 AM

Yeah, but, if you goto their site, under "contact", they have a FAQ. The first question is answered by listing all the TVO transmission towers. Page 2 of the FAQ answers a question about how to access TVO without cable. Page 3 of the FAQ answers a question about TVO broadcasting in HD, where they discuss picking up OTA using a converter box if using an older TV.

Heh, maybe we should write a question to Steve Paikin of the "Agenda" and ask what the "agenda" is for TVO to convert to OTA digital broadcasting in the near future.

Mayhem Creations-"The Art Of Emotional Creation"
sites.google.com/site/maycreates/Home -for viewing all my DIY projects
post #51 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-05-04, 10:54 AM

I've had several communications with TVO, and they've consistently indicated that they will be going digital OTA. The process has been slow, as they've been busy upgrading their facilities for HD--and they're not funded with advertising.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #52 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-05-04, 10:56 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

TVO DTV transition info

From TVOntario's web site:
Quote:
TVO reports to the Ontario legislature through the Minister of Education, in accordance with the Ontario Educational Communications Authority Act.
Ideas for someone really wanting to dig into the question of TVO's DTV transition plans:
  • contact TVO directly
  • contact the Ministry of Education
  • ask your MPP to check into it
  • check for any related public documents from Ontario Legislature proceedings (Hansard, appropriate committees, etc.)
  • request documents under the province's Freedom of Information Act (Part II)

post #53 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-05-04, 10:59 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbles_00 View Post
Heh, maybe we should write a question to Steve Paikin of the "Agenda" and ask what the "agenda" is for TVO to convert to OTA digital broadcasting in the near future.
That is actually a good idea. The topic could be broadened to "Will Canadian Broadcasters be ready for the Analog Shutdown" though they could spend some of their time discussing the situation at TVO.
post #54 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 05:16 PM

http://www.tvo.org/TVO/WebObjects/TV...id?90168068001

Or watch any other Agenda video.

Looks like they're already shooting HD, or at least 16x9. I highly doubt the video is a crop from the SD TVO feed that we see broadcast. I can tell because the watermark is on the bottom right, and it when I zoom in the entire video fits on my 1920x1080 monitor. If it was a crop of the 4:3 TV feed, then the watermark wouldn't even be visible. That [A] logo is where it cuts off on the broadcast version.

Looks like their production end looks ready. Can anyone watching TVO via BDU confirm this?
post #55 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 05:31 PM

Their website already talks about the production and editing facility digital update that has taken place. They've got a completely new HD digital production facility up and running.

It's possible--if they're permitted to do so--that we'll see HD TVO via BDU's before digital HD OTA.

The last piece of the puzzle is the digital broadcasting component. Which, due to funding constraints, likely won't happen until conversion date.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #56 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 05:39 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
It is quite possible they are filming in 16:9 and letter-boxing it on their analog channel. I don't think they have applied for an HD cable feed yet (or at least I don't think it hasn't been published yet).
post #57 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 06:14 PM

How sad.

TVO being a publicly-funded network with the most transmitters in the province, I would have at least half-expected them to make OTA a priority over BDUs.

At the very least their main transmitter off the CNTower. I'll put in a good donation to TVO if they can promise such a basic commitment to broadcasting in this province.

My question is why spend all that money getting a digital production facilities and not even broadcasting it? Seems like a total waste of resources. It's good that they're prepared, but I gather the cost of implementing a transmitter would be MUCH less in proportion to the costs they incurred by upgrading their facilities.

What do they have to luse?
post #58 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 11:52 PM

now you know why I donate money to my local American PBS station which is WQLN. TVO is a nice station and I believe could benefit if it did more on the OTA side of things.

roof mounted 35ft UHF Antennas Direct XG91, VHF Delhi VIP 302SR, RC 6292, Tii Coaxial Lightning Surge Protection
post #59 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-08, 11:59 PM
Veteran

Location: Dunnville, Ontario on the Grand River, North shore Lake Erie
TVO is largely funded by the province of Ontario. I'd doubt that McGuinty would see any urgency in dishing out funding for digital OTA of TVO prior to the drop dead date, since he likely has premium cable, light-speed internet and premium satelite services at his home and cottage.

WQLN is awsome. WNED and TVO should tune into WQLN to see what real programming lineups should look like for public service channels.

3D SSH III with ZZ4 refl. http://imageshack.us/user/jmsdigital
post #60 of 771 (permalink) Old 2010-06-09, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little-infinity View Post
How sad.

My question is why spend all that money getting a digital production facilities and not even broadcasting it? Seems like a total waste of resources. It's good that they're prepared, but I gather the cost of implementing a transmitter would be MUCH less in proportion to the costs they incurred by upgrading their facilities.
It's too cost prohibitive for them to do it all at once. Divide and conquer....

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in