Why The Streaming Wars Are Ruining TV - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Why The Streaming Wars Are Ruining TV

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...tv/2516655001/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Lawler USA TODAY
Peak TV was supposed to represent the height of the TV industry, the point at which no more shows could possibly be created until a bubble burst and the number of series – and possibly networks that aired them – diminished wildly.
What we are seeing is expansion of the streaming industry and disruption of traditional TV broadcasting. We saw similar things with specialty cable channels and direct broadcast satellite about 40 and 20 years ago. There will be contraction and consolidation. Consolidation of the broadcast TV industry has been under way for a couple of decades. The streaming and broadcast TV industries are already consolidating under brands like Disney, AT&T and Hulu with streaming services owned by conventional broadcasters. Huge investments by streaming pioneers such as Netflix were designed to disrupt the TV industry and gain worldwide market share. In addition, companies like Google and Facebook have disrupted conventional advertising revenue. That sent broadcast adverting revenues into a tailspin. The end result will be the decline, consolidation and and possible disappearance of conventional broadcast TV, cable TV and satellite TV. DirecTV has recently lost 11 million subscribes and the trend appears to be accelerating. The rest of the industry may not be far behind.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 08:55 PM
s40

I think if the streaming services are smart, they will have all the apps on cable. Then you can watch tv and go to an app all in the same place. I noticed years ago that Telus for instance, has Youtube and Netflix that are part of your guide, if you pay the money for the service you won't have to go to each service separately. If all the various streaming services were to be in one place like cable, and if you opted in for a few of them maybe getting a discount, I could see that they might do much better.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 09:19 PM
Veteran

IMO, the subject heading s/be streaming wars are ruining streaming...
I don't agree with paying anyone a subscription to stream a single tv show or movie...

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in