Why The Streaming Wars Are Ruining TV - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-11-16, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Why The Streaming Wars Are Ruining TV

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...tv/2516655001/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-11-16, 04:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Lawler USA TODAY
Peak TV was supposed to represent the height of the TV industry, the point at which no more shows could possibly be created until a bubble burst and the number of series – and possibly networks that aired them – diminished wildly.
What we are seeing is expansion of the streaming industry and disruption of traditional TV broadcasting. We saw similar things with specialty cable channels and direct broadcast satellite about 40 and 20 years ago. There will be contraction and consolidation. Consolidation of the broadcast TV industry has been under way for a couple of decades. The streaming and broadcast TV industries are already consolidating under brands like Disney, AT&T and Hulu with streaming services owned by conventional broadcasters. Huge investments by streaming pioneers such as Netflix were designed to disrupt the TV industry and gain worldwide market share. In addition, companies like Google and Facebook have disrupted conventional advertising revenue. That sent broadcast adverting revenues into a tailspin. The end result will be the decline, consolidation and and possible disappearance of conventional broadcast TV, cable TV and satellite TV. DirecTV has recently lost 11 million subscribes and the trend appears to be accelerating. The rest of the industry may not be far behind.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-11-16, 08:55 PM
s40

I think if the streaming services are smart, they will have all the apps on cable. Then you can watch tv and go to an app all in the same place. I noticed years ago that Telus for instance, has Youtube and Netflix that are part of your guide, if you pay the money for the service you won't have to go to each service separately. If all the various streaming services were to be in one place like cable, and if you opted in for a few of them maybe getting a discount, I could see that they might do much better.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-11-16, 09:19 PM
Veteran

IMO, the subject heading s/be streaming wars are ruining streaming...
I don't agree with paying anyone a subscription to stream a single tv show or movie...

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-11-23, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Be prepared to get grumpy https://youtu.be/rj_rw5En8Qo

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-11-24, 06:48 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom View Post
I don't agree with paying anyone a subscription to stream a single tv show or movie...
That's fair, as long as you are willing to accept commercials that you can't skip - which is how some services are working (Tubi, etc.)
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-12-25, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

I guess Streaming isn’t going to get easier anytime soon. https://www.engadget.com/2019/12/24/...-tv-streaming/

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-12-25, 02:19 PM
Veteran

Streaming is part of this brave new "service" world where you pay for everything but actually end up owning nothing. Amazingly few see this for the cash grab and fraud that it really is. They never look beyond the monthly subscription price or tally up what they'll be paying the "service" over five years or ten years. The big corporations love them for their ignorance.

(Merry Christmas!)
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-12-25, 02:39 PM
Veteran

It's part of the new rent seeking economy. Wealthy people and corporations retain or regain full ownership and buy everything they can. Then they make people pay for their use. It basically cuts out the poor and middle class from ownership or investment in property that increases in value over time and makes them pay much more over the long term than they would if they purchased. It's part of the reason why everything from borrowing money to housing are escalating are becoming more expansive. I've also seen it with things like computer software that is now often sold as an annual license instead of a perpetual license. Instead of buying or renting a video disc we must now pay for every viewing or pay a monthly rent to access the catalog. The expansion of streaming is also an expansion of the rental economy. The current streaming environment is an early expansion phase. Attrition and consolidation will soon follow and then, once the incumbent competition is eliminated or acquired, profit seeking will start on a large scale. Then we will be talking about the good old days of cable and satellite TV.
denben73 and DSgamby like this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-12-25, 02:45 PM
Veteran

@ExDilbert : OK you call it the rent seeking economy, I call it the service economy because the suppliers now see themselves as providing a service (streaming, leasing, subscribing, delivering) rather than providing a product. Of course they make more money this way and know that their income is more more assured than ever before. The loser, as I'm sure you'll agree, is the consumer.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-12-25, 04:10 PM
Veteran

The difference with a rent seeking economy is that businesses still produce goods but choose to rent them rather than sell them. The products are no longer for sale must be rented perpetually. That's different from products that may be sold but have a service component. Movie studios have always straddled the line by doing both. You can buy a copy of a movie with perpetual rights or you can pay to view it. At one time, owning a physical copy of a movie included more extensive rights that it does today. The movie industry has been moving away from conferring any kind of ownership or perpetual rights in recent years and has actively and successfully lobbied to extend copyrights and limit consumer rights. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act and similar laws in other countries are examples.

Internet technology has made streaming a viable business model that is also acceptable to consumers. However, it turns over full control to the studios as to how movies and TV are viewed. That's working in consumers' favour right now due to low prices, little or no advertising for paid services and unlimited access to catalogs. That will change as markets mature, competition is eliminated, consumer choices disappear and profit seeking takes over. The movie and TV industries have a long record of increasing profits by limiting consumer choice, forcing consumers to watch excessive levels of advertising, making them endure revenue enhancing schemes and lobbying for laws that inflict punitive measures for relatively minor offenses. That's not gong to change in the long term.
DSgamby likes this.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-12-26, 11:38 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidw View Post
The loser, as I'm sure you'll agree, is the consumer.
Well, no. If you only watch a few movies and TV shows or only listen to a few albums then perhaps. But as someone who owns thousands of CDs, digital tracks, DVDs, and Blu-rays, I am fully on board with subscription services at their present cost. These days I rarely consume something I own, as it's cheaper to subscribe and continually receive new content. Apple News+ is $12.99/month which is significantly less than Toronto Star's monthly home delivery cost. Are you telling me you're going to store old newspapers that you "own"? How about the 300+ magazines that come with the subscription? For music, I broke down my costs here: https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/26-...ml#post3062709

I am also unclear why paying $50-$60/month for subscription services is a cash grab and fraud while a $100/month cable bill is not (unless you're recording everything they're broadcasting).

--
Neil
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-12-26, 02:50 PM
Veteran

Personally I prefer streaming services over buying or renting DVDs.
nfitz likes this.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-12-26, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

From my own experience I like streaming and use it quite often but I will always purchase a movie I want on 4K Blu-Ray and TV shows I want to own on Blu-Ray first then if not available I’ll buy it from iTunes. I have Amazon Prime Video thanks to being a prime member and Crave TV + HBO + Movies(or whatever they call themselves) since I subscribe to it from satellite. I had Netflix before but I cancelled it as it’s not worth $17/month to me and I will try Disney+ sometime soon. I also have Apple TV+ free for a year thanks to my new phone purchase on Black Friday. I’d definitely consider buying my 4K movies from iTunes in the future but the quality has to get better first. With my movie purchases I usually get a digital copy and providing I can redeem it through iTunes and not the google play store(which I hate) I usually get the 4K Dolby vision & Atmos and I’ve done a few comparisons and I’ve been surprised at just how bad the digital version is compared to the 4K Disc copy. I see the streaming field getting more convoluted this year and prices continue to rise.

Mr.6 likes this.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-12-29, 08:30 PM

I don't see how any of this has changed dramatically with the transition to streaming as the delivery method. Cable TV was just as ephemeral, and why would I want to own the TV shows that I watch? With the volume of high quality TV being produced these days, I don't have time to watch it all once, let alone re-watch it multiple times.

The movie industry operated for decades on a rental model that was also just as ephemeral (and still exists). You can still rent or buy movies, or you can watch whatever happens to be on your streaming service just like you could watch whatever movies happened to be on TV.

The only one that has really changed dramatically is music, and for most people that's fine. Music streaming services are generally pretty comprehensive and relatively inexpensive (especially if you get a group subscription). The other alternatives still exist, but for most consumers, especially young ones, Spotify represents a much better value proposition.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in