Streaming Services? More And More? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-09-22, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thumbs down Streaming Services? More And More?

I'm not that good in this "New Age" of streaming services, but it appears to me that more and more services are coming on line?
Disney+
Peacock
CBS Access
Netflix
Amazon Prime
ETC

The way I see it(and this is (only a guess)is that streaming services like Peacock, CBS Access service like that ,which own there own shows(network)or movies will start having exclusive rights to their own shows, hence to watch all the shows or movies you want you'll have to sub to several streaming services to get what you want?

Now grant you services like Crave TV Netflix that presently have rights to shows/movies owned by other streaming services will most likely have those shows untill their contract with such said ordinal right holders expires, after that they'll loose those shows & movies.

So your back at where you started, instated of pay $50-$100 for cable/sat/IPTV, you'll be instead pay the same or perhaps a little less to to all these streaming services.

You get S*****D either way. Either by the BDU's or by the Streaming services. You can't win

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-09-22, 02:39 PM

For now there is a difference.
You can cancel a stream service and switch to another anytime you want. So technically you can rotate the stream services and catch up with the shows you want.
This obviously will not work with the stream providers for very long and I am sure they will come up with some restraints like having to subscribe for a minimum of X months.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-09-22, 11:10 PM
Veteran

The main advantage to streaming is that the money goes directly to the company that "broadcasts" the programming. That may result in better programming and a reduction or elimination of commercials. I personally would not watch or subscribe to an OTT service that has commercial advertising so that eliminates a few. Don't know how it will all shake out in the long run but the sooner we can get rid of BDUs that charge us $50/mo for a basic package of OTA and service channels they pay practically nothing for, the better off we will be. Markups on individual channels under pick and pay are exorbitant. We can also get rid of their ridiculous contracts and extra fees for nothing of value. Unfortunately, the Canadian broadcasting system is set up to favour big BDUs that lock in popular programming and leverage that into ridiculous markups for junk that customers do not want. It's time to break up the Canadian broadcasting cartel and give consumers a fair shake.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-09-23, 10:30 AM

Come on! Nothing will change. Costs will only go up and up..as program quality goes down. You can already see that as Netflix churns out a lot of "poor" programs. Start adding up the streaming services and your bill quickly goes over the current fees for cable/sat subscriptions. Its your money...due as you please.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-09-23, 01:17 PM

The thing is, nobody is required to subscribe to every service. Most people, especially among those who don't frequent sites like this one, don't need to have access to everything on TV. They can pick a handful of services and swap them out as necessary, and build a TV package which covers their needs for well under $50/month.

And, as mentioned, that comes with additional perks like being commercial free, multi-screen/multi-platform support, and on demand access. Of course there's also the downsides of multiple accounts/payments to monitor and varying platform support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlStatic View Post
This obviously will not work with the stream providers for very long and I am sure they will come up with some restraints like having to subscribe for a minimum of X months.
Some of them (Crave, Amazon Prime, and Disney+ jump to mind) are attempting to combat this by discounting subscriptions if they're made on an annual basis, rather than month to month.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-09-23, 03:31 PM

The only reason I still have cable is for sports (TSN & Sportsnet). I dont remember the last time I watched news or some shows on another channel with commercials.
Here is a breakdown of sports and Movies for me without cable:

Netflix : $10.00
Disney + : $9.00 (you can save $1.50 per month with annual subscription)
DAZN : $12.50 (paid 150 for a year)
Sportsnet : $20.00 (if I pay 250.00)

Streaming Options when I need it:
TSN : $20.00
Crave : $20.00
Amazon prime and ….

Keep in mind that lot of people share streaming services, I dono if it’s allowed or not. I still have cable and with Disney plus launching soon, I'm really rethinking it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-09-23, 03:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Keep in mind that lot of people share streaming services, I dono if it’s allowed or not.
It's not but is difficult to enforce without some onerous restrictions. Netflix is aware of the issue and is working on it. Most services restrict simultaneous streams to one or two with higher numbers for more expensive "family" plans.

Others attempt to restrict the number of different devices and make customers delete devices when a fairly low limit is reached. Crave and some other Canadian VOD services have done this but it's a gigantic PITA. It seems like they count every browser update as a new device. It also accomplishes nothing to combat account sharing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in