• 1 Post By LONSat
  • 1 Post By OlStatic
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert
  • 1 Post By MCIBUS

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-09-17, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

NBC Peacock

And yet another streaming service. No indication if it will appear in Canada.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/09/17/n...alled-peacock/

Apparently featuring a Battlestar Galactica reboot - which seems unnecessary so soon after the last version.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...reamer-1239018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-09-17, 12:33 PM

From The Hollywood Reporter article the executives at Peacock indicated it would launch stateside first with expansion to follow. I would take that as US only for now.
nfitz likes this.

LONSat
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-09-17, 05:20 PM

What's next? "The CBS Eye"? aka CBS All Access

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-09-18, 08:03 AM

I wonder if they would bother selling the shows to various networks here in Canada, or if they would rather just keep them as "Peacock Exclusives" and wait until they come to Canada with the streaming service so it's more enticing for Canadians to purchase. For example iif they go and sell the new BSG to CTV Sci-Fi, what reason do I have to order Peacock? I'm already paying for CTV Sci-Fi, no need to order something else.

...this is a signature...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-09-18, 09:59 AM

NBCUniversal Announces "Peacock" as the Name of Its Streaming Service and Unveils Initial Content Lineup

From the Official Press Release: "Peacock rolls out in April of 2020 with over 15,000 hours of content and takes center stage at the end of July during the 2020 Summer Olympics. As previously announced, Peacock will be both advertising and subscription supported. Details on pricing and distribution will be announced closer to launch."

Previous announcements also said they would be adding several programs in October 2020 when their contracts are up with Hulu.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-09-18, 11:06 AM
Veteran

Peacock will have advertising. Hulu is losing NBC content. OTT users see an increase in costs. It looks like corporate bean counters are running NBC.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-09-18, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONSat View Post
From The Hollywood Reporter article the executives at Peacock indicated it would launch stateside first with expansion to follow. I would take that as US only for now.
I was scratching my head for a bit - that's in a second Hollywood Reporter article I hadn't seen - https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...vealed-1240157

I'd guess day one, they'll be selling to Canadian services, ala Hulu, if there's no immediate Canadian launch. (mind you CBS launched quickly here despite selling most of their exclusive content elsewhere!)

In related news today, apparently the new BSG series isn't a remake - but instead something in the same universe as the 2003 series. I'm not entirely sure how they do that, given how it ended. Caprica was an attempt at a prequel, but without the epicness of the BG plotline, never really achieved the same following. Though I suppose it could follow another post-invasion Battlestar or group. https://ca.ign.com/articles/2019/09/...-robot-creator
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-09-18, 03:23 PM

This is the future... networks offering their products (shows) in their own streaming package (at a cost) and still have it full of ads. (With the advantage that they can be targeted).
In other words it wont be long where people will be spending in streaming services what they were paying for cable with the added expense of needing a higher tier internet service at high cost....
Fun times...
nfitz likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-09-18, 03:47 PM
Veteran

Plus Canadians either won't get some US streaming services or their most popular content will be sold to conventional Canadian broadcasters. That will increase the cost even more in Canada since consumers will need a BDU subscription plus the available US OTT services to get everything they want to watch. Crave has a lot of that content but it's not a replacement for OTA like NBC Peacock or CBS All Access are in the US.
nfitz likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-09-20, 03:58 PM
Veteran

Like I said before soon to watch everything you want you.ll have to sub to 3 or 4 streaming services cost you as it once did for cable/IPTV/Sat.
nfitz likes this.

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-09-24, 03:18 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Plus Canadians either won't get some US streaming services or their most popular content will be sold to conventional Canadian broadcasters. That will increase the cost even more in Canada since consumers will need a BDU subscription plus the available US OTT services to get everything they want to watch. Crave has a lot of that content but it's not a replacement for OTA like NBC Peacock or CBS All Access are in the US.
Studios can choose to do that if they want but many people (like me) will simply not watch the shows that are destined for conventional TV. I'm done with conventional TV. As for multiple streaming services, you don't need access to all of them at once. There is only so much TV you can watch. Simply just rotate the services as needed.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-09-24, 03:43 PM
Veteran

While I'm finding conventional TV less appealing all the time, I'm not writing it off yet. There are shows I like spread across networks, cable channels and OTT services. That's the problem. Broadcasters and studios use the proliferation of channels and services to increase revenue and force consumers to subscribe to many of them to obtain a variety of content. Rotating subscriptions helps keep costs down but it's only part of the solution.

In the US, it's possible to get most, if not all, of the available programming on OTT services. In Canada that's not the case. I'm well aware of the workarounds to reduce costs but Canadian broadcasters use their monopoly to reduce their effectiveness. With the amount of advertising and self promotion on networks, the only thing that makes network TV palatable is the PVR. I won't watch OTT services that insert advertising that cannot be skipped because its too annoying and wastes too much time. I've better things to do than try to watch a TV show that wastes 1/4 to 1/3 of my time and eliminates any enjoyment it might otherwise provide.

It looks like I won't be subscribing to Peacock for the reasons cited. That they plan to insert advertising is a non-starter for me. If they offer a no advertising option, like Hulu, that may make it palatable.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-09-24, 09:57 PM

Actually I am quite the opposite I am basically turned off streaming. You have to scroll through endless screens to find something you might be interested in. I find it a waste of time to scroll through categories a tiles to find something. Search only works if you know that a certain show or movie is on the service you are currently logged into. Every service has a slightly different interface. At least with a BDU it is one consistent interface.

LONSat
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-09-24, 10:45 PM
Veteran

Or a consistently bad interface with some BDUs but at least it's consistent. With streaming services or VOD I am usually looking for a particular show or movie. At the very least I am looking for a very specific genre. I find that the suggested shows and movies on Netflix are at least in the ballpark, unlike some BDUs.

The main issue I have with the multitude of streaming services and channels or VOD on BDUs is finding shows. There are search functions and sites that help but they don't always work well. Even the sites for the stations that air the shows don't seem to have them listed sometimes. Then there are the shows that show up days, weeks or months late. It's usually really easy to find when and where a show is on in the US. There is lots of publicity and many sites that fully document new or returning shows for US channels but not much in Canada.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in