Has Streaming Hit The Bubble? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-07-19, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Has Streaming Hit The Bubble?

I've tried a few different services but ended up canceling them all except Amazon Prime as Prime video is just a side benefit.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/17/2...zon-stock-drop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-07-19, 05:03 PM
Veteran

I'd say that Netflix is not living up to its promise. It's throwing money at programming that often doesn't live up to its potential.

Netflix also appears to be paying too much for some programming. For example, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee: how Netflix totalled Seinfeld's star vehicle
Quote:
It was once a cheap and cheerful YouTube series. But then the streaming giant threw $100m at it and now the low-stakes charm has been lost
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-07-19, 05:42 PM
Veteran

Regarding the subject, it'd be interesting to see subscriber numbers for all services before declaring some kind of bubble has burst (and NetFlix did manage to add ~2.5 million subscribers overall).
Zank Frappa likes this.

--
Neil

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-07-19, 05:58 PM
Veteran

Netflix has managed to add 2.5 million subscribers but it was about 2 million less than was expected. It also lost 130,000 of American customers. As of yesterday Netflix stock has gone down about 11%

Last edited by bev fan; 2019-07-19 at 08:15 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-07-19, 08:02 PM
Veteran

^^^ How do you get "millions of American customers" from 130,000?

--
Neil
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-07-19, 08:15 PM
Veteran

You are correct, my mistake.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-07-19, 08:34 PM
Veteran

The 2.5 million and 2 million figures were global subscribers.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-07-20, 09:54 AM

Netflix actually has meaningful competition. Everybody who makes video or is video-adjacent seems to be launching a streaming service. Disney+ and HBO Max may not have gone live yet, but in puling back their rights they're already making their presence felt. And outside the US, local services are popping up all over the place.

So I don't think the streaming bubble has burst by any means, but I do think maybe the Netflix bubble has. Which isn't at all to say that Netflix won't be big or even the biggest player in the space for a long time to come, I just think we're maybe transitioning to a world where they're not the default streaming service for most people anymore.
andyk, Inglewood, Mr.6 and 1 others like this.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-07-23, 09:31 AM

I think the bubble will burst when streaming services become unaffordable to the average consumer. Prices keep going up, content doesn't really improve, and the consumer will spend money elsewhere or look to cheaper options.

I for one cherry-pick services - subscribe to one for a month or two, cancel, and subscribe to another a month or so later for a few weeks.

I also think there is too much content saturation this moment - any project that would have been dumped 10 years ago is getting a green light as American streaming services are dying for original content.

There are several bubbles at play here - the bloated services themselves, and also the industry - lots of productions are happening at the moment that employee lots of people, and when the bubble bursts they will be looking for jobs.
andyk likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-07-28, 11:14 AM

Streaming is just turning into cable television now where you're going to have to spend hundreds of dollars across multiple platforms if you want to watch everything.

The one benefit of streaming though is you can subscribe and cancel at a whim. Sign up for Netflix, watch the new season of [show] and then cancel it after a week or two. Rinse and repeat with Amazon Prime, Crave, Disney+, CBS All Access, etc.
DonR likes this.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-07-28, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticky View Post
Sign up for Netflix, watch the new season of [show] and then cancel it after a week or two. Rinse and repeat with Amazon Prime, Crave, Disney+, CBS All Access, etc.
That's what I plan to do. After the latest Netflix price increase a few months ago, I dumped them (after being a member for several years). I went to Amazon Prime instead (considerably less expensive, plus Prime shipping, as a bonus). I have Crave as well, just because I was able to get annual plan at lower, locked-in price. But when that plan expires, I will most likely dump them as well.

The plan was, just like you're saying, to switch between these services, but for now I'm staying with Amazon Prime, because there's still shows there that I want to see. When there's nothing more to see, I'll probably get a month or two of Netflix, and then back to Prime, maybe Crave.

What's really confusing to me about Netflix is that they don't offer any discount on annual plan, as opposed to their monthly plan. I suppose, as the leader in the game, they got a bit too cocky. Well, with no annual discounts, and very steep price increase...they lost me. I keep getting emails from them, asking me to come back, but offering no incentives for me to even reconsider.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-07-28, 02:59 PM
Veteran

Netflix provides more and better content than both Crave and Amazon Prime combined. By the way I subscribe to all of them. Keep Crave for now because of 50% discount and Prime for free delivery.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-07-28, 05:45 PM

No argument about Netflix providing most content, however right now I find Amazon Prime at $7.99/month (even cheaper on annual plan) to be a better value, at least for me, than Netflix at $13.99/month. And there's free shipping too. Of course, it all depends on what you want to watch. Definitely more stuff on Netflix than on Prime. Like I said, being with Prime for only a few months now, I still find a lot of stuff that I want to see. And when I get tired of them, I'll probably just keep switching between these services. Having all of them at the same time is obviously the best option, talking about content, not so sure that my wallet appreciates that. :-)

What did you mean by 50% discount on Crave? My annual plan expires in December, and it is roughly about $6/month.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-07-28, 10:42 PM
Veteran

I have Crave package that includes HBO and Starz so it costs me $12.50 a month.
As for Netflix it is still the best service for me even at a higher price since all of my family members can find something to watch that suits their preference and age and it is still cheaper than Crave.
Amazon Prime is good only because of free shipping otherwise I would never subscribe to it.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-07-29, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticky View Post
Streaming is just turning into cable television now where you're going to have to spend hundreds of dollars across multiple platforms if you want to watch everything.

The one benefit of streaming though is you can subscribe and cancel at a whim. Sign up for Netflix, watch the new season of [show] and then cancel it after a week or two. Rinse and repeat with Amazon Prime, Crave, Disney+, CBS All Access, etc.
Another advantage to streaming compared to cable is that you can share subscriptions over multiple households. We share our Netflix with other family members and split the cost.

Although I do wonder how long Netflix will allow this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in