amazon
40K views 156 replies 34 participants last post by  Peppermint P 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Heard this on the news this morning.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

#2 · (Edited)
Amazon to Launch Prime Video Channels for Canada
(Full Press Release from Amazon)

Beginning soon, Prime members will be able to add a wide range of live and on-demand TV and streaming entertainment channels to Prime Video, including hayu, STARZ, Super Channel and the STACKTV multi-channel package, which includes 12 TV networks from Corus Entertainment, and more

Prime Video Channels will be available as paid monthly subscriptions, from as little as CDN $3.99 per month, with no long term contracts and anytime cancellation

All channels will be available via the Prime Video app; customers will be able to enjoy the same user experience as Prime Video, including the ability to easily subscribe and watch anywhere at any time, offering a simple and straightforward way to choose the TV entertainment they want to watch

SEATTLE, WA, June 3, 2019 - Amazon today announced the upcoming launch of Prime Video Channels for Canada. Prime Video Channels will allow customers to get even more out of their Prime memberships by adding their favourite TV stations and streaming channels for a low monthly subscription fee, without the need to enter a lengthy contract, and the convenience of a single account, login and user experience. Prime Video Channels subscriptions that will soon be available for Canada include hayu, STARZ, Nickelodeon as well as STACKTV, a multi-channel package from Corus Entertainment that will feature the latest episodes of hit shows from 12 popular networks live and on-demand.

"We are excited to soon bring even more selection to our Prime members in Canada with the upcoming launch of Prime Video Channels," said Greg Hart, Vice President of Amazon Prime Video. "By simplifying our customers' entertainment experience all within the Prime Video app, we can make it even easier to select, subscribe and enjoy TV shows and movies from our channel providers, like STARZ, hayu and Nickelodeon. Prime Video Channels also allows us to team up with Canadian content producers and broadcasters like Corus Entertainment to build unique products like STACKTV for our Canadian Prime members."

"Corus is committed to providing best in class content to our audiences wherever and whenever they want it, and STACKTV delivers exactly that," said Doug Murphy, President and Chief Executive Officer, Corus Entertainment. "Working with Amazon to provide top tier TV brands through Prime Video Channels allows us to reach new audiences, while offering consumers ease of access, choice, and must-see content."

Prime members in Canada will be able to select from a variety of channels that not only provide easy access to their favourite TV shows and movies, all in one place, but also channels that bring popular Canadian content to their fingertips to enjoy anywhere, anytime. On the new STACKTV group of channels from Corus, viewers will be able to access a variety of content, like hit series Top Chef Canada from Food Network Canada; home improvement programming like Island of Bryan and Property Brothers from HGTV Canada; compelling series like Vikings from HISTORY; kids programming like Max & Ruby from Treehouse; and fan-favourite hits like Big Brother Canada from Global.

In addition to great, Canadian programming, Prime members will be able to stream popular series including buzzworthy dramas like The Act, a STARZ exclusive in Canada, and STARZ's upcoming supernatural, spy thriller The Rook, that will debut June 30, hit reality TV shows like Keeping Up With the Kardashians and its spin-offs – and both The Real Housewives and Million Dollar Listing franchises on hayu, and the reality competition series RuPaul's Drag Race, alongside other diverse and inclusive programming for customers in Canada, on OUTtv. Prime members will also be able to subscribe to the Nickelodeon channel, the best of Nickelodeon, Nick Jr. and Nick Retro all in one spot, to watch shows like SpongeBob Squarepants and Dora the Explorer instantly or downloaded to watch on the go.

Channels benefits for Prime members include:

• Selection
    • Tens of thousands of new titles
    • Access to live TV and on-demand content
    • Latest episodes of popular TV shows available same day or day-after broadcast
  • Customer control:
    • Easy to subscribe and watch
    • Free trials on most channels
    • Download to go for select on-demand content
    • Easy to cancel at any time
  • Seamless experience:
    • Single login account and billing method
    • Easy to find content, all housed within the Prime Video app
    • Streamlined watchlist and consolidated search and browse
Prime Video Channels will be available via the existing Prime Video app to watch anytime, anywhere on smart TVs, iOS and Android mobile devices, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick and more. For a full list of capable devices, please visit www.primevideo.com/help.

Additional subscriptions will be added in the coming months. Prime Video Channels subscriptions, along with monthly pricing in CDN$ (plus applicable taxes), that will be available at launch for Canada include:
  • Acorn TV – Exclusive originals, addictive dramas, arresting mysteries and more from Britain and beyond, including fan favorites such as Doc Martin, A Place to Call Home, and Line of Duty for $7.49.
  • hayu – From NBCUniversal International, has loads of shows the same day as TV and thousands of episodes of binge-worthy reality series right from the beginning; hayu is Canada's home of reality programming for $5.99.
  • Hollywood Suite – Unlimited access to the movies that shaped the 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s , plus essential Hollywood classics from the Golden Age, all for $4.99.
  • Love Nature – Discover nature through original series, shorts and documentaries for the whole family, presented in 4K and HD for $3.99.
  • MGM – Offering hit television series, as well as popular and classic films from MGM Studios for $3.99. Titles include Get Shorty, Teen Wolf, the ROCKY collection, Legally Blonde 1&2, Overboard (1987), The Thomas Crown Affair (1999 and 1968), Silence of the Lambs, Hoosiers and Barbershop 1&2.
  • Nickelodeon – Popular kids TV programming targeted to pre-schoolers and young adults, including favourites Spongebob Squarepants, Dora the Explorer, iCarly and more for $5.99.
  • OUTtv – Canada's national LGBTQ+ television network that offers hits like RuPaul's Drag Race along with a compelling mix of drama, comedy, talk, documentaries and award-winning movies for $3.99.
  • Shudder – The largest selection of high-quality, handpicked classics and original horror, thrillers, and supernatural for $5.99.
  • Smithsonian Channel – Award-winning programming that shines new light on popular genres such as air and space, history, science and pop culture for $3.99.
  • STACKTV – Offering the latest episodes of hit shows from 12 of Corus' great networks. This all-in, entertainment multi-pack from Corus includes popular shows like NCIS, Big Brother and Survivor for $12.99. Customers can enjoy both live and on-demand programming, including content from Adult Swim, Food Network, Global, HGTV, History, National Geographic, Slice, Showcase, Teletoon, Treehouse, W Network and YTV.
  • STARZ – STARZ is the home in Canada for all new STARZ Original series, full seasons of hit television series, and a vast library of all-time favourite Hollywood movies. Available for $5.99.
  • Sundance Now – Offers a gripping and rich selection of true crime, fiercely intelligent thrillers, and heart-stopping dramatic series from around the world for $6.99.
  • Super Channel – Four diverse linear channels plus on demand, with access to hits including Harlots, Mr. Mercedes, Pure and When Calls the Heart as well as access to library films and e-sports, all for $9.99.
To learn more about Prime Video, visit www.PrimeVideo.com.

Along with access to critically acclaimed and award-winning Amazon Original series and thousands of popular movies and TV episodes through Prime Video, Prime Video Channels will join the growing list of benefits for Prime members in Canada including unlimited FREE Two-Day Shipping on millions of items, FREE One-Day Delivery in 19 cities and towns, FREE Same-Day Delivery in Toronto and Vancouver, Prime Music, Twitch Prime, Amazon Photos and more.

Prime Video Channels for Canada follows the launches of Prime Video Channels in the US, UK, Germany, Austria and Japan, which combined give Prime members access to over 300 channel subscriptions that can be added to their membership.

EDIT: Click on the press release link to see an illustration of the user interface.

#3 ·
CORUS DEBUTS STACKTV ON AMAZON PRIME VIDEO CHANNELS
(Full Press Release from Corus)

Corus Entertainment announced today a new multi-channel television package called STACKTV, featuring 12 top-tier linear networks, as part of Amazon’s upcoming Prime Video Channels launch. Available soon to Prime members in Canada, STACKTV includes some of the best entertainment, drama, lifestyle and kids television channels, delivering audiences the latest episodes of hit series live and on-demand.

STACKTV will include: Global, Food Network Canada, HGTV Canada, W Network, HISTORY®, Adult Swim, Slice, Showcase, National Geographic, Teletoon, Treehouse and YTV.

“Canadians rely on Corus for powerhouse brands and hit series, and STACKTV is another way we’re working with new distributors to deliver our diverse portfolio of premium broadcast content to new audiences,” said Doug Murphy, President and Chief Executive Officer, Corus Entertainment. “We know that choice and accessibility are important for our viewers, and working with Amazon through Prime Video Channels allows Corus to extend its reach to new viewers, giving them the live and on-demand content from the channels they love.”

Through STACKTV viewers will be able to watch new and returning series from their favourite television channels, live and on-demand, such as: long-running hits Survivor and Big Brother alongside buzz worthy new series like Prodigal Son and Evil from Global; deliciously delectable shows like Top Chef Canada and Duff Takes the Cake from Food Network Canada; record-breaking series like Island of Bryan and upcoming series Property Brothers: Forever Home from HGTV Canada; must-see reality series like Vanderpump Rules and The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills from Slice; gripping series like Alone and Vikings from HISTORY®; highly anticipated animated series like Rick & Morty from Adult Swim; awe-inspiring programs like Wicked Tuna and Hot Zone from National Geographic; and popular kids programming like Thomas and Friends from Treehouse, Teen Titans GO! from Teletoon, and The Loud House from YTV. Providing viewers with every type of content they need, Corus also delivers beloved kids series through the Nickelodeon subscription video on-demand (SVOD) channel. Offering viewers a combination of live action, animation, and the best of Nick Jr. programming, the Nickelodeon channel is the ultimate destination for side-splitting, kid-friendly fun. Kids can watch their favourite Nickelodeon shows all day, every day, including brand new series Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, returning favourites Henry Danger, Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn, Dora, and Shimmer and Shine, and beloved classics like SpongeBob SquarePants and Rugrats, as well as specials like Blurt! and SpongeBob: The Legend of Boo-kini Bottom. The STACKTV package of channels will be available to Amazon Prime members in Canada for an additional $12.99 per month, and the Nickelodeon SVOD channel will be available for $5.99 per month, plus applicable taxes. Prime Video Channels will be available via the existing Prime Video app to watch anytime, anywhere on smart TVs, iOS and Android mobile devices, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick and more. To learn more about Prime Video, visit www.PrimeVideo.com.

#4 ·
I wonder whether these channels will offer streaming free of advertising? The price seems a tad high as well, especially as an add on to regular Prime Video, which is much more of a bargain in my opinion. I'm sure this will appeal to at least a few people, though. Also, will there be closed captioning or a subtitles option? These questions should be answered in any press release, and I don't see the answers here.

I hope that this won't mean too much loss of content on the regular Prime Video channel.

#6 ·
The prices are in Canadian dollars. I don't think you will be able to pay for the channels a year in advance to get a discount. I have a little more research I want to do and a few comments when I have time.

You will need the base Amazon Prime membership to subscribe to any of the channels, CDN $7.99/month or $79.00/year (Equivalent to $6.58/month) 30-day free trial. Quebec residents receive an initial 2-month membership for $7.99/month, instead of a free trial.

#9 ·
So STARZ is going to be available on Crave and Amazon Prime!!! I am not sure if two streaming service will be carrying same contents. Although, I have Crave TV channels but I don’t get the STARZ channels, I only get their contents (I think). Like The handmaid’s Tale will start on June 9 as advertised on Crave TV.

I read somewhere that Super Channel is not doing well, specially their e-game station. I think they only have one good channel that has older movies. One of 4 channels shows weak, low budget romantic movies.

#10 ·
I wonder whether these channels will offer streaming free of advertising? The price seems a tad high as well, especially as an add on to regular Prime Video, which is much more of a bargain in my opinion. I'm sure this will appeal to at least a few people, though. Also, will there be closed captioning or a subtitles option? These questions should be answered in any press release, and I don't see the answers here.

I hope that this won't mean too much loss of content on the regular Prime Video channel.
If you watch a channel live, like Showcase, you will probably see the same ads as everyone else. My guess is the On Demand portion will be commercial-free.

Since Amazon isn't a BDU (Broadcast Distributor), they aren't regulated by the CRTC and aren't required to provide closed captioning, pick-and-pay, etc. However, I believe they provide closed captioning on their other services, so I think they will on these as well, assuming the caption files are available from the source.

There's no reason to believe there would be any loss of content, since Amazon has been doing this in the U.S. since 2015.

.....will a person have the option of paying for the channel(s) a year in advance as with Prime video?
Some services like Acorn TV offer a discounted annual price, so Amazon may offer the annual price in those cases as well.

Currently STARZ is in the Crave group so would that come to an eventual end?
Bell signed a multi-year agreement with Starz, so it won't disappear from Crave anytime soon. In the U.S., several OTT services offer Starz, Showtime and HBO as addons.

It is odd that this is the only Bell Media channel on this service. I wonder if there is a provision in the Starz contract to allow this.

Although, I have Crave TV channels but I don’t get the STARZ channels, I only get their contents (I think). Like The handmaid’s Tale will start on June 9 as advertised on Crave TV.
The Handmaid's Tale is a Hulu program and is included in the basic Crave. A few Starz programs like Power Season 1 and Counterpoint Season 1 don't require the Staz addon.

#11 ·
Super Channel has never done well. They reduced the price some time ago in order to try and get more subscribers.

Hollywood Suite is a bit of a bargain compared to incumbent BDUs. The Corus stuff seems a bit overpriced and would typically be about $10 or less on a BDU. The extra cost might be worth it if the OD were ad free. The rest seems competitive. This is a nice development for cord cutters who want access to some Canadian specialty channels. I'm a little surprised to see Starz. Other Bell channels are conspicuous in their absence and will not likely ever be on Amazon Prime Video. It looks this is the competition to Crave now that Shomi is ancient history.

Previous seasons of The Handmaid's Tale also aired on Bravo in Canada. Don't know about the upcoming season.

#12 ·
The Amazon channels beak down into 3 basic categories:

1. Existing standalone streaming sites offered for the same price. The main advantages are consolidated billing and a unified interface. These only make sense price-wise if can justify Amazon for other reasons.
    * Acorn TV, hayu, Shudder, Sundance Now
  2. TV channels available through cable companies, etc. Prices are similar to cable addons, depending on the company.
    * Hollywood Suite, Super Channel, Love Nature, Smithsonian Channel, OUTtv, STACKTV, STARZ
  3. Custom On Demand packages that don't seem to be available anywhere else that I can think of.
    * MGM, Nickelodeon

Previous seasons of The Handmaid's Tale also aired on Bravo in Canada. Don't know about the upcoming season.
The upcoming season is on Bravo as well.

#14 ·
If you already have access to these services or channels through a subscription or through cable / IPTV, can you access them through Amazon Prime once it's started? I ask cause my family has Bell Fibe with all of the Stack channels, Starz (through my full Crave package) as well as a Hayu subscription and some of the other channels and this would make it easier to view on a single platform especially for Hayu which can't be watched on my main tv as it doesn't have a Samsung TV app yet so my wife can only watch it on the Roku on our bedroom tv.

#15 ·
Doubt it. Amazon takes a cut of the subscription if you get it through them, so they want you to do it that way. But you could always cancel your Hayu subscription and resubscribe through Prime, then use the Prime app on both the Samsung TV and the Roku.

This is an interesting way for smaller streaming services to get more exposure, and more platform support without having to support dozens of platforms themselves, which isn't economical for them. I wonder whether Amazon is doing the hosting for these as well? My experience is that Prime Video is fairly solid, so that might be another selling point.

#28 ·
Sure, but they might still be limited in bandwidth or have other issues with their software. If it's all Amazon controlled from end to end then it would be more sure to replicate the Prime Video experience. Apple is planning a similar channels setup for their upcoming service, and they're hosting many of them for that reason.

#17 ·
I see that all of these channels are already listed on a row in the Amazon Prime channel, so they are available now. Although I'm not interested in the channels that I already get through my cable provider, there are some, like Shudder, that may interest me. It's nice to see that a list of some of the movies on that service are given, including whether they have CC, without having to subscribe.

If only there was a way to subscribe to channels that I already get through cable by logging in using my cable credentials, but that isn't possible. Subscribing through Amazon requires a separate subscription, at extra cost.

#18 ·
I was wonder where the Corus streaming had all gone the other day ...

Hang on ... $12.99 for Corus's Stack add-on ... that's nearly double what Prime is costing ... I was just looking for a couple of Treehouse shows.

That seems very exorbitant ... compared for example to the CTV app, which is free for those who have a Cable or Satellite TV account.

Are there other options for those who'd watch commercials or have Cable already?

Am I missing something here?

#26 ·
They were present on my Fire TV 4K stick as of yesterday.
Oh great, that's more crap I'm going to have to wipe off the fire stick, so it doesn't crash every 30 minutes.

The only things I've got on there now are CBC Gem, CTV, and Crave after the latest factory reset ... and drilling some holes through the plastic venting to increase the ventilation.

It's amazing how poor and frustrating the Amazon device is compared to Roku ... and how badly Crave is implemented on it.

Glad these will be on Roku! I wish Bell and CBC would go there as well, and I can never touch the thing again ...

#27 ·
That's really odd, nfitz, since I have found my Amazon Fire TV 4K stick to be very reliable. I have it plugged directly into one of the HDMI ports on the TV. I know that the memory, as well as the processor, in the latest model have made it more stable than earlier, non 4K models. I admit that the interface on it is rather messy, though.

Ironically, the reason that I bought the Fire TV stick in the first place was that my Apple TV kept crashing. I later found that the reason for that was that it wasn't automatically going into sleep mode, and I needed to put it into sleep mode manually. That fixed the Apple TV issues.

My apologies for the off topic post.

#31 ·
The channels now can be watched on Apple TV 4K, but have to first be ordered from another device (for me Roku or PC). Same is true for IOS. The PC has a Channels menu item but the Roku just has an extra line on the first page showing the various channels available. The extra line is not on the Apple TV until you order, and then just shows what you have ordered.

#35 ·
Lots of people will only ever see it through Apple TV and won't know they can get it cheaper elsewhere, and it's against Apple's rules for services to tell them. Most subscription services on Apple platforms are left with the options of:
  1. Charging a premium for subscribers signing up through their apps on Apple platforms (and presumably losing some prospective customers because the price is too high)
  2. Not allowing customers to sign up through their apps on Apple platforms (and presumably losing prospective customers who can't figure it out or can't be bothered, especially since they're not even allowed to tell people subscriptions are available on their website)
  3. Charging the same price and losing money on subscriptions registered through their apps on Apple platforms
Increasingly, large services like Spotify, Netflix, and Kindle have been taking option 2, believing that they're big enough that people will go out of their way to subscribe (or in the case of Kindle, buy books) on their websites. But even Spotify has been increasingly crying foul that they're likely losing customers to Apple Music, which you can easily sign up for in the app, as a result.

For a service like Acorn, which probably isn't hugely profitable and doesn't have the name power of Netflix, they won't want to take any chances with losing customers who just can't figure out what they are or how to sign up. And they probably can't afford to hand 15% of their revenue to Apple. So they chose option 1.