Amazon to Launch Prime Video Channels for Canada
(Full Press Release from Amazon)
Beginning soon, Prime members will be able to add a wide range of live and on-demand TV and streaming entertainment channels to Prime Video, including hayu, STARZ, Super Channel and the STACKTV multi-channel package, which includes 12 TV networks from Corus Entertainment, and more
Prime Video Channels will be available as paid monthly subscriptions, from as little as CDN $3.99 per month, with no long term contracts and anytime cancellation
All channels will be available via the Prime Video app; customers will be able to enjoy the same user experience as Prime Video, including the ability to easily subscribe and watch anywhere at any time, offering a simple and straightforward way to choose the TV entertainment they want to watch
SEATTLE, WA, June 3, 2019 - Amazon today announced the upcoming launch of Prime Video Channels for Canada. Prime Video Channels will allow customers to get even more out of their Prime memberships by adding their favourite TV stations and streaming channels for a low monthly subscription fee, without the need to enter a lengthy contract, and the convenience of a single account, login and user experience. Prime Video Channels subscriptions that will soon be available for Canada include hayu, STARZ, Nickelodeon as well as STACKTV, a multi-channel package from Corus Entertainment that will feature the latest episodes of hit shows from 12 popular networks live and on-demand.
"We are excited to soon bring even more selection to our Prime members in Canada with the upcoming launch of Prime Video Channels," said Greg Hart, Vice President of Amazon Prime Video. "By simplifying our customers' entertainment experience all within the Prime Video app, we can make it even easier to select, subscribe and enjoy TV shows and movies from our channel providers, like STARZ, hayu and Nickelodeon. Prime Video Channels also allows us to team up with Canadian content producers and broadcasters like Corus Entertainment to build unique products like STACKTV for our Canadian Prime members."
"Corus is committed to providing best in class content to our audiences wherever and whenever they want it, and STACKTV delivers exactly that," said Doug Murphy, President and Chief Executive Officer, Corus Entertainment. "Working with Amazon to provide top tier TV brands through Prime Video Channels allows us to reach new audiences, while offering consumers ease of access, choice, and must-see content."
Prime members in Canada will be able to select from a variety of channels that not only provide easy access to their favourite TV shows and movies, all in one place, but also channels that bring popular Canadian content to their fingertips to enjoy anywhere, anytime. On the new STACKTV group of channels from Corus, viewers will be able to access a variety of content, like hit series Top Chef Canada from Food Network Canada; home improvement programming like Island of Bryan and Property Brothers from HGTV Canada; compelling series like Vikings from HISTORY; kids programming like Max & Ruby from Treehouse; and fan-favourite hits like Big Brother Canada from Global.
In addition to great, Canadian programming, Prime members will be able to stream popular series including buzzworthy dramas like The Act, a STARZ exclusive in Canada, and STARZ's upcoming supernatural, spy thriller The Rook, that will debut June 30, hit reality TV shows like Keeping Up With the Kardashians and its spin-offs – and both The Real Housewives and Million Dollar Listing franchises on hayu, and the reality competition series RuPaul's Drag Race, alongside other diverse and inclusive programming for customers in Canada, on OUTtv. Prime members will also be able to subscribe to the Nickelodeon channel, the best of Nickelodeon, Nick Jr. and Nick Retro all in one spot, to watch shows like SpongeBob Squarepants and Dora the Explorer instantly or downloaded to watch on the go.
Channels benefits for Prime members include:
- Tens of thousands of new titles
- Access to live TV and on-demand content
- Latest episodes of popular TV shows available same day or day-after broadcast
- Customer control:
- Easy to subscribe and watch
- Free trials on most channels
- Download to go for select on-demand content
- Easy to cancel at any time
- Seamless experience:
- Single login account and billing method
- Easy to find content, all housed within the Prime Video app
- Streamlined watchlist and consolidated search and browse
Prime Video Channels will be available via the existing Prime Video app to watch anytime, anywhere on smart TVs, iOS and Android mobile devices, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick and more. For a full list of capable devices, please visit www.primevideo.com/help
Additional subscriptions will be added in the coming months. Prime Video Channels subscriptions, along with monthly pricing in CDN$ (plus applicable taxes), that will be available at launch for Canada include:
- Acorn TV – Exclusive originals, addictive dramas, arresting mysteries and more from Britain and beyond, including fan favorites such as Doc Martin, A Place to Call Home, and Line of Duty for $7.49.
- hayu – From NBCUniversal International, has loads of shows the same day as TV and thousands of episodes of binge-worthy reality series right from the beginning; hayu is Canada's home of reality programming for $5.99.
- Hollywood Suite – Unlimited access to the movies that shaped the 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s , plus essential Hollywood classics from the Golden Age, all for $4.99.
- Love Nature – Discover nature through original series, shorts and documentaries for the whole family, presented in 4K and HD for $3.99.
- MGM – Offering hit television series, as well as popular and classic films from MGM Studios for $3.99. Titles include Get Shorty, Teen Wolf, the ROCKY collection, Legally Blonde 1&2, Overboard (1987), The Thomas Crown Affair (1999 and 1968), Silence of the Lambs, Hoosiers and Barbershop 1&2.
- Nickelodeon – Popular kids TV programming targeted to pre-schoolers and young adults, including favourites Spongebob Squarepants, Dora the Explorer, iCarly and more for $5.99.
- OUTtv – Canada's national LGBTQ+ television network that offers hits like RuPaul's Drag Race along with a compelling mix of drama, comedy, talk, documentaries and award-winning movies for $3.99.
- Shudder – The largest selection of high-quality, handpicked classics and original horror, thrillers, and supernatural for $5.99.
- Smithsonian Channel – Award-winning programming that shines new light on popular genres such as air and space, history, science and pop culture for $3.99.
- STACKTV – Offering the latest episodes of hit shows from 12 of Corus' great networks. This all-in, entertainment multi-pack from Corus includes popular shows like NCIS, Big Brother and Survivor for $12.99. Customers can enjoy both live and on-demand programming, including content from Adult Swim, Food Network, Global, HGTV, History, National Geographic, Slice, Showcase, Teletoon, Treehouse, W Network and YTV.
- STARZ – STARZ is the home in Canada for all new STARZ Original series, full seasons of hit television series, and a vast library of all-time favourite Hollywood movies. Available for $5.99.
- Sundance Now – Offers a gripping and rich selection of true crime, fiercely intelligent thrillers, and heart-stopping dramatic series from around the world for $6.99.
- Super Channel – Four diverse linear channels plus on demand, with access to hits including Harlots, Mr. Mercedes, Pure and When Calls the Heart as well as access to library films and e-sports, all for $9.99.
To learn more about Prime Video, visit www.PrimeVideo.com
Along with access to critically acclaimed and award-winning Amazon Original series and thousands of popular movies and TV episodes through Prime Video, Prime Video Channels will join the growing list of benefits for Prime members in Canada including unlimited FREE Two-Day Shipping on millions of items, FREE One-Day Delivery in 19 cities and towns, FREE Same-Day Delivery in Toronto and Vancouver, Prime Music, Twitch Prime, Amazon Photos and more.
Prime Video Channels for Canada follows the launches of Prime Video Channels in the US, UK, Germany, Austria and Japan, which combined give Prime members access to over 300 channel subscriptions that can be added to their membership.
: Click on the press release link to see an illustration of the user interface.