CTV Thowback, CTV Movies, etc. Streaming Discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-05-17, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

CTV Thowback, CTV Movies, etc. Streaming Discussion

I was browsing through CTV Throwback and came across some new series they must have added recently. I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched. Along with Bewitched 1970s short-lived spin-off Tabitha - gosh I haven't seen that anywhere since it first aired.

Good to see some 1960s content starting to appear!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-05-18, 12:18 PM

Please use this thread to discuss streaming content from the CTV web site and the CTV apps on supported platforms. The original announcement and some previous discussion is available in this thread:

Large CTV Cable Channel/VOD Rebrand

Summary: CTV Throwback and CTV Movies are available for free to anyone in Canada as an Ad-supported Video On Demand (AVOD) streaming service. A TV service provider login is not required to access those areas of CTV.ca. Those programs are only available by streaming and are not included in the TV provider VOD section of your cable box. CTV Throwback seems to add a new series every "Throwback Thursday."

Most current series that are broadcast on the CTV and CTV2 channels are available for streaming next day on CTV.ca for 7 days. After 7 days the content is only available with a TV service provider login.

SYSTEM AND PLATFORM COMPATIBILITY

CTV.ca supports the following desktop platforms:
Windows desktop, tablets, and smartphones running version 8.1
Mac desktop running OS 10.6+ (Snow Leopard)
Internet browsers: IE11+ on a Windows 8.1+ computer, Firefox 52+, Chrome 58+, Edge 14+, Safari for Mac 10.6+

CTV MOVES and CTV THROWBACK support:
iPad, iPod and iPhone running iOS 8.0+ with AirPlay
Android tablets and smartphones running version 4.0+
Amazon Fire TV Gen 1+

Chromecast also seems to work, but there is a known problem trying to cast from an iPhone or iPad.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2019-05-22 at 01:02 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-05-18, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Does CTV streaming even work? I thought the kids might enjoy I Dream of Jeannie ... but I couldn't even open the CTV app on my Amazon firestick this morning (shame they don't add it to Roku). I confirmed the stick was working by successfully watching something on Crave ... and then rebooting, without success.

Then I figured I'd just try it on their website this afternoon ... and although I can browse programming, when I try and play something I get "This content is not currently available for viewing in your browser. For the best video experience, we recommend using a supported browser for your platform" ... browser is a 2019 version of Google Chrome under Windows 10!

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2019-05-19 at 10:53 AM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-05-18, 04:11 PM

I just tested the first episode of I Dream of Jeannie and it works fine on Windows 10 using Chrome. Make sure you aren't using a VPN and you may have to disable any Chrome extensions that interfere.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2019-05-19 at 10:54 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-05-18, 06:35 PM
Veteran

Exclamation

Tony Nelson was a idiot. He had this HOT GENIE and could have as many wishes as he wanted, but he kept on making her stay in her bottle. I would be in PARADISE Barbara Eden was smoken in her day.

Gilligan was another idiot Mary Anne was another Smoken babe in her day as well.

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-05-18, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
I just tested the first episode of I Dream of Jeannie and it works fine on Windows 10 using Chrome. Make sure you aren't using a VPN and you may have to disable any Chrome extensions that interfere.
Working now on the laptop (though CBC Gem was all the time) ... perhaps CTV was having problems - maybe like Rogers, they too need a more competent Internet provider.

Still doesn't work on Amazon stick ... so I ripped it out of the Amazon Fire Stick and reset it a couple of times to try installing again ... seems to work now. Gosh, I hadn't realized that I Dream of Jeannie was colourized ... at least Season 1 seems to be.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2019-05-19 at 10:55 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-05-19, 11:04 AM

@nfitz I reconsidered your point about this being a separate thread and decided to move the posts here. I've deleted some posts and modified others since those discussions are no longer relevant. I will add more info to the summary in post 2 later.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-05-19, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

BTW, I was looking at the Bewitched episodes ... I have a relatively recent DVD set (Mill Creek 2015) - all very good quality, but 4:3, with seasons 1 and 2 in B&W. Looking and comparing to what's on CTV, Seasons 3 to 8 have been rescanned in HD and are presented as 16:9. The colours look very good! The loss of picture at the top and bottom is a bit annoying - oddly compared to the 4:3 version, they seem to have picked up some screen on the right, and lost a bit on the left. All very watchable though, and probably slightly preferable to the SD 4:3 scans.

But for Seasons 1 and 2, they've use the old colourized versions, resulting in 4:3 versions with relatively poor picture quality - I'm guessing that the original colourization many years (decades?) ago was done on relatively poor-quality copies ... and to keep seasons 1 and 2 in colour, it's not economic to go back to the rescanned black and white prints (negatives?).

I've been watching with my daughter, who moaned about the first two seasons being in B&W - but now I've seen how poor the colourized versions on CTV look, even she admits she's glad we watched in B&W.

I haven't looked at I Dream of Jeannie as closely - but the quality of the colourized versions (of Season 1) looked a lot better than Bewitched - though still clearly colourized, with the depth of skin tones never looking right. The entire series seems to be 4:3 ... decent pictures, but I think they are all SD scans.

Now if only I could find Gilligan's Island somewhere - I'm hesitant to accumulate too many more DVDs in this streaming age. (trying to find something both the kids will watch, that I can stomach too, is always a challenge ...)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-05-20, 09:59 PM
Rookie

Hi everyone, just re-joined after being away for a few years.

I went to the CTV site and checked out the Throwback "Live Streaming" thing.

I have Fedora 27 Linux w/ Mozilla Firefox 63 with Adblock Plus turned OFF.

No deal. The page loads but no video window.

I have sent an e-mail to CTV Feedback. Because it was the long weekend, I doubt anyone will look at it till Tues. morning.

There is always Popcorn Time.

-- Jim
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-05-21, 07:03 AM

Have you tried Chrome?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-05-21, 04:26 PM

wish ctv would have the series called the trouble with tracy in there throw back as they own that series
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-05-22, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
I have Fedora 27 Linux w/ Mozilla Firefox 63 with Adblock Plus turned OFF.

No deal. The page loads but no video window.

I have sent an e-mail to CTV Feedback. Because it was the long weekend, I doubt anyone will look at it till Tues. morning.
I finally got around to updating post 2 with the supported platforms. CTV.ca officially supports Windows and Mac, so you probably won't get much help with Linux. I second the previous suggestion to give Chrome a try.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-05-28, 10:45 PM
Rookie

I watched Trouble With Tracy when it was originally broadcast in the late 60s / early 70s on CJAY Winnipeg (CTV).

Saw it again on YTV or some other station in the late 80s / early 90s. To me, the series didn't hold up that well for longevity. It just looked kind of dated in the worst way.

You Can't Do That On Television is still pretty good, although lots of 1980s culture in that which can make it look dated too.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-05-29, 12:14 AM

Using Linux Mint 19.1 with Chrome, it works fine.
Dr.Dave likes this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 2019-06-21, 10:00 AM

The following is starting to roll out at www.ctv.ca/Summer-On-CTV. I mentioned it here for those people that don't read the CTV thread and only believe in streaming.

CTV.ca is also set to celebrate the warm weather with entertaining TV series and blockbuster movies available with no subscription or sign-in required. CTV.ca will roll out titles throughout the summer including Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Iron Man 2, Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy, JANN, CARDINAL, SEINFELD, THE GOLDBERGS, and THE BIG BANG THEORY, in addition to the extensive content viewers can already stream for free on CTV Throwback and CTV Movies.

Tags
bell media , ctv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in