AppleTV+ - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-03-25, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

AppleTV+

Apple announced that their streaming service would be launching this fall and that Apple TV would be available on other devices such as smart TVs.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19...ue-programming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-03-26, 09:18 AM

Just watched the launch presentation - assume this will be $180 a month based on the money they are throwing around.

I know that Apple has a lot of money, but they are not a TV/Film Production house....maybe we just saw Apple, and the OTT/VOD industry jump the shark...

Love that they hired Oprah - and probably paid her millions. They must have forgotten OWN and her venture with Sirius radio. Good on Oprah for getting lots of money again - she's a genius for getting $$$ out of everyone.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-03-26, 10:20 AM
Veteran

Apple may not start out big but they have staying power. Apple has very deep pockets, a lot of experience with digital marketing, a lot of loyal customers and business relationships with a lot of content providers. Apple does not need to produce content, that's what independent production houses are for. Apple just has to pay them. The big question is whether Apple will stick with it if they don't make a profit. Apple is known for expecting very high profit margins. Streaming is unlikely to provide that, at least in the near future.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-03-26, 10:22 AM
Veteran

They said the streaming Apple TV + service will cost about $9.99 USD per month. No word on whether canadians will see the same price range for the equivalent service. Either way, it does not seem bad for a price. but the only problem is, people do not just want tv shows they want variety they want news, sports, weather, comedies, etc they also do not want more "original content that they never heard of" before, no matter who is the executive producer or director. They want content they know and love. Let's see how this plays
nfitz likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-03-26, 04:38 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17671 View Post
They said the streaming Apple TV + service will cost about $9.99 USD per month.

They said no such thing. They said pricing will be revealed this fall.
Deanoyyz likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-03-26, 06:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
The big question is whether Apple will stick with it if they don't make a profit. Apple is known for expecting very high profit margins. Streaming is unlikely to provide that, at least in the near future.
I don't think Apple is expecting great profit margins here. I think they're looking to keep/bring people in their ecosystem. AppleTV+ will be on other platforms but the experience will probably be better on Apple hardware. There's also bundling opportunities with services that only run on Apple hardware - News+, Music, games.

--
Neil
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-03-26, 06:13 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17671 View Post
...but the only problem is, people do not just want tv shows they want variety they want news, sports, weather, comedies, etc they also do not want more "original content that they never heard of" before, no matter who is the executive producer or director. They want content they know and love. Let's see how this plays
Who are these people? I'd like to know how they handle the fall and winter months when the traditional TV networks premiere "original content that they never heard of" before. Do they only watch Law & Order and NCIS spinoffs and reruns?

--
Neil
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-03-26, 08:14 PM

the $9.99 price he was talking about is for apple news+ that will have news and magazines
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-03-26, 08:23 PM

So will AppleTV+ show new episodes of broadcast/cable shows weekly like Netflix does for some shows (Riverdale, The Flash, etc)?

...this is a signature...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-03-26, 08:30 PM

what I understand is some form of apple tv+ will be launched on napple devices in may and non apple devices in the fall.they also said it would be availuable in over 150 counties with no mention of Canada.the only thing he mentioned about Canada was the new apple news+would be launched in both usa and Canada with Canada getting a striped down verion of it.in the usa they get 3 newspapers and 300 magazines in Canada we would be getting the Toronto star and about 33 magazines that are made for Canada only
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-03-26, 08:34 PM

apple tv+ will let you subscribe to Netflix hulu and hbo stars and any America streaming service and putting under one roof.so in the usa if you sub to any of those services it will learn your habits and suggest shows you mite like.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-03-26, 10:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heans View Post
the only thing he mentioned about Canada was the new apple news+would be launched in both usa and Canada with Canada getting a striped down verion of it.in the usa they get 3 newspapers and 300 magazines in Canada we would be getting the Toronto star and about 33 magazines that are made for Canada only
Not sure what was said but both the Toronto Star and Globe & Mail are available along with hundreds of magazines. There may be 33 Canadian owned magazines among them.

Looking at this list https://www.macstories.net/news/a-co...he-u-s-so-far/ I'd say a good 90-95% were available in the Canadian version.

--
Neil

Last edited by NeilN; 2019-03-26 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Add list
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-03-27, 06:58 PM
Veteran

I won't be touching any apple devices with a bargepole ... I just want to know if I'll be seeing a channel with their original or licensed content on Roku or Fire Stick ...

(My Globe and Star apps lands on my doorstep every morning ... though landed in a bucket of (melted) water one day last week ... had to reboot them both draped on chairs all day before I could open them ... .... gosh, I sound like an old man, don't I ... )
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-03-27, 10:20 PM

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/m...2-417462&sr=em this should give you all your answers
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-03-28, 12:03 PM
Veteran

The AppleTV+ announcement definitely says original content. Noticeably absent is any mention of other content. They will need a lot of original content to get a significant number of long term subscribers. Got to wonder if they have plans to round it out with shows and movies from other sources.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in