Disney+ - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-19, 03:37 PM

Simpsons won't be leaving FX Canada anytime soon. FX is owned by Disney and FX Canada by Rogers. No reason why they would remove it from their own channel (Simpsons owned by Disney on a Disney licensed channel). It isn't streaming anywhere legally now in Canada from what I know and that will probably not happen anytime soon. My hope is they bring Hulu to Canada soon. Even with limited content to what isn't licensed to another provider there is still a lot available that would be great to see including Simpsons, King of the Hill, Family Guy, Futurama, Modern Family, Fresh Off the Boat plus a lot more (pretty much anything Disney purchased from 20th Century Fox which isn't available currently on a Canadian streaming service).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-19, 11:00 PM

Here is Disney's official press release. The info posted here seems to be accurate, but I've seen some reporting that was a little muddled.

New Global Launch Dates Confirmed for Disney+
post #63 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-20, 05:32 AM

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia(Maestro whole home PVR with two terminals)
I'm wondering whether the reason it's not being listed for the Amazon Fire Stick is that there could be an issue between Disney and Amazon? A lot happens behind the scenes of which we are not aware. Hopefully, they are negotiating.

post #64 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-20, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

It could prob very easily be side loaded unto iit while ou are waiting. I use the Downloader App which Firestick has already and use Tiny URL for a few that I’ve done. When the time comes search for the “Disney Plus APK”

Test it with the App with the Firestick remote once it’s downloaded and if it doesn’t work search for another Disney Plus APK until you find one that works. In most cases it’s not hard
though.

Also make sure “Apps from Unknown Sources” and “ABS Debugging” is turned on in settings before you begin.

Last edited by wmjfoley85; 2019-08-20 at 08:29 AM.
post #65 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-20, 09:26 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
I don't see Samsung not supporting Disney+ for long. It's probably in development. Some TVs have Roku or Android interfaces so they may get it at launch. It would be nice if TV makers could agree on a standardized TV interface.
Yeah. My TV is a good 5 years old now. But works perfectly fine, so in no hurry to replace it.
Its just nice to not have to worry about having to have like 5 different devices/inputs.

I do 3/4 right now via my rogers ignite box (cable, netflix, youtube), and the smart TV does Crave and my Plex server.
I have an android TV box.. which rarely gets used (as most of the kodi apps are CRAP now). I could probably load the Disney+ on there.. but again another input
If I am doing that.. I might as well re-plug in my Apple TV3, as long as it has a supported app. At least then can access any of my itunes purchases, as well as screen share, etc.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #66 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-20, 09:56 AM

Articles from both Entertainment Tonight and in the Financial Post today confirming 30 seasons of The Simpsons catalog is coming to Disney + to answer the questions from yesterday, great news and can't wait to see what else is on there!
Dr.Dave likes this.
post #67 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-20, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

I heard Malcom in the Middle is suppose to be on it too, but hopefully that’s the case for Canada as well. That show is not available to stream anywhere here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/disney/st...190849?lang=en

Last edited by wmjfoley85; 2019-08-20 at 10:24 AM.
post #68 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-20, 11:04 AM

I'm guessing a large bank of content not on services in Canada in the Disney Catalog will be on here including stuff that may be on Hulu in the US. I'm sure shows like Home Improvement, the old TGIF catalog from ABC in the 90's, the Fox animation catalog and lots of other stuff including Malcolm in the Middle will end up on there.
post #69 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-20, 11:45 AM

I think The Simpsons will continue on FX Canada linear TV since that contract with Rogers Media predates the Disney takeover and is still in force. That contract doesn't appear to include digital rights, so Disney+ Canada should be able to stream the first 30 seasons with no conflicts.

FX U.S. had linear and digital rights predating the takeover and Disney is shutting down Simpsons World, making Disney+ the exclusive streaming source for the show. (Deadline) FX U.S. and Freeform will continue to show past episodes on TV.

----

Here is the list of Disney+ content that I posted in April, which includes Malcolm in the Middle. I expect any of those shows that aren't available in Canada currently will be on Disney+ in Canada. Old TV series that are airing might be a little murky because it's hard to know if they have exclusive rights. I doubt that Disney+ will include any TV series in Canada that isn't on that list, although that may change down the road.

https://deadline.com/2019/04/disney-...ce-1202594496/
post #70 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-20, 11:53 AM

A little surprising it's so light on Fox content outside The Simpsons and Malcolm in the Middle. Even stuff like Bobby's World from Howie Mandel, King of the Hill, Futurama, etc. can be included. Could this be because of Hulu and holding stuff back for them in the US? Would they eventually bring a scaled back version of Hulu here with stuff already licensed out removed like CBS All Access?
post #71 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-20, 12:33 PM
Veteran

The old TGIF line-up was mostly distributed by Warner Brothers so I doubt many if any at all will be on Disney+. Some Warner content was/is on Hulu though. Netflix in Canada has Full House. No idea why they didn't try to get Family Matters, Step by Step and Growing Pains (all of which is on Hulu and none if which appears to be taken up by any Canadian rights holder).

Home Improvement was Touchstone so that could certainly end up on Disney+ I would also expect down the road How I Met Your Mother and Last Man Standing will probably move to Disney+. I wouldn't be surprised if Golden Girls, Blossem and Boy Meets World end up there too. I know Boy Meets World has aired on ABC Spark but I don't think any of the Disney brands are part of Corus' package that's available through Amazon Prime. My guess is Corus probably doesn't have exclusive rights to Disney's back catalog of Disney shows.
post #72 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-20, 01:59 PM

Keep in mind that the list I posted was for the U.S., so I don't think it contains Hulu shows, but I haven't checked.

Disney has said that they want to expand Hulu internationally, and they can now do that since they established operational control. They might follow offer a stripped-down service of "leftovers" like CBS All Access or they might skip Canada altogether and just continue with the licensing model that has been so successful for the U.S. studios. Whatever happens, I don't think they will include any extra content during the launch of Disney+ Canada that isn't on Disney+ in the U.S.

Disney also said they want to keep Disney+ family-friendly, so that would also exclude certain content.
post #73 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-20, 03:53 PM
Veteran

I'm assuming that would mean shows like Family Guy might continue to be licensed to Netflix rather than bringing it over to Disney+ I wonder where they will draw the line with 20th Century Fox movies? There is probably quite a few movies that wouldn't meat family friendly criteria.
post #74 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-20, 08:50 PM

https://etcanada.com/news/491842/the...ter-stunt/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #75 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-20, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgut View Post
Articles from both Entertainment Tonight and in the Financial Post today confirming 30 seasons of The Simpsons catalog is coming to Disney + to answer the questions from yesterday, great news and can't wait to see what else is on there!
That's great, the're a few seasons and few random episodes that I haven't seen, they never air for some reason. I keep track (spreadsheets) of every shows and episodes I watch.

I wonder if The Big Bang Theory will be on Disney+ since it's also made by Fox, just like the Simpsons.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in