Disney+ - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-07, 12:55 PM
Veteran

Sports is one of the most expensive types of programming to license. Sports franchises know that fans will pay high prices and the leagues essentially serve as cartels to keep sports broadcasting regulations restrictive and fees high. I expect Disney will raise their fees once they build a large customer base. Disney+ will likely be close Netflix in price after a few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-07, 01:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
Sports is one of the most expensive types of programming to license. Sports franchises know that fans will pay high prices and the leagues essentially serve as cartels to keep sports broadcasting regulations restrictive and fees high.
Why then is the non-bundled ESPN price only $5 a month?

And compare the $13 bundle price to CTV's $26 bundle of Crave/Starz/HBO.
emmy1500 likes this.
post #33 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-07, 02:51 PM
Veteran

Why is HBO Go US$15/mo and Starz US$9/mo while Disney+ scheduled to launch at US$7/mo? The US versions of HBO Go and Starz would cost CDN$32 if purchased directly. They are premium channels with premium, high priced content and no advertisers. Disney+ is a new service with low pricing to build a large customer base.

I suspect that ESPN is only $5 for one of two reasons. It's either a loss leader to build subscribers or they keep costs down by only purchasing cheaper programming. Sportsnet One or Sportsnet East are CDN$7 each (Rogers,) essentially the same price.

To make a valid comparison, compare ESPN with TSN and Sportsnet. The ESPN bundle price is US$14 while Sportsnet World is CDN$20 and the TSN bundle is CDN$18 (Rogers.) TSN and Sportsnet have some of the highest wholesale prices for standard specialty channels and their standalone retail prices are high. In addition, they have a very high proportion of advertising vs programming. TSN butchers sports programming so badly with advertising that I can't stand watching it. Purchase TSN and Sportsnet in a large TV bundle with hundreds of other channels and their proportional cost is a lot less. Chalk that up to gouging by Canadian broadcasters.

post #34 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-07, 02:52 PM

the espn+ is $5 us it only gives you 75% of the cfl games and a few baseball games and some soccer games.espn 1,2,3 university and news channels are not included in the espn+.all the other espn channels you need a cable login to receive them as you can' buy espn only espn+.
Leafs13 likes this.
post #35 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-07, 07:24 PM

I'm guesting that it might be too soon to know if Disney + will offer gift cards just like Netflix do.

And hopefully Disney + will have Disney Channel shows, specially older shows that does not currently air on Disney Channel.
post #36 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-07, 08:06 PM

if any place that would sell Disney+ gift cards it would be in the mall at the Disney stores once the service gets up and going
post #37 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-08, 08:49 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterwolf View Post
I'm guesting that it might be too soon to know if Disney + will offer gift cards just like Netflix do.

And hopefully Disney + will have Disney Channel shows, specially older shows that does not currently air on Disney Channel.
From what I have heard, there is/may be a LOT of stuff on the disney+

That they plan on having the back catalog, like full series of the original Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, etc.
Not sure on things like say their 'live' stuff like Hanna Montana, etc.

I just really hope they get it all figured out, before their new exclusive series on it start coming out.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #38 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-08, 12:33 PM
Veteran

Disney has been producing content for 95 years. Most of the early stuff was cartoons and animation but it also founded Touchstone Pictures. Disney is now the largest movie studio in the world with assets like the Disney Channel, Pixar, Lucasfilm, Marvel Entertainment, the Disney Digital Network, ABC television network, Fox Studios, the ESPN sports network and Radio Disney. That's a lot of programming.

Disney is famous for retaining rights to it's major copyrighted assets and using limited release schedules to extend their profitability. There will be lots of available content for Disney+ to choose from, subject to Disney regaining streaming rights once current agreements expire. Most, if not all, of it will be family oriented in nature since Disney is divesting and downsizing it's Miramax and Touchstone studios that produce more mainstream content.

Disney spends slightly more annually on new content than Netflix though less of it goes or likely will go directly to streaming. Add that new content to Disney's 95 years of back catalog and it's easy to see why it has potential to be a huge player in the streaming market. Disney will focus exclusively on family oriented programming so it stands to dominate the family subscription market.
post #39 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-08, 03:56 PM
Veteran

I really hope Disney bypasses Corus Entertainment and starts streaming Disney Channel, Disney Jr and Disney XD series via Disney+ in Canada. Usually program supply agreements are on a 5 year basis so the contracts likely expire next year for Corus.
post #40 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-08, 05:51 PM

^^

Agree also allow Radio Disney to live stream in Canada.
post #41 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-16, 04:53 PM
Veteran

This is old news, but new to me. Disney's new Star Wars live-action series "The Mandalorian" will premier on November 12 - the first day that Disney+ starts streaming. https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-mandalor...1833985687/amp

Though precious little else as new content on day one other than the High School Musical series.

That alone might convince me to subscribe, if it's available in Canada. Though it will be unfortunate if it isn't - somehow I don't think Disney will be as quick to licence this content to Canadian TV channels in the same way that CBS has been doing with their CBS All Access exclusive material.

What is new (and led my to the this) is that Ewan McGregor might be back as Obi-Wan Kenobi (or is it Obi-Wan) in a third live-action series that's in pre-production. (well, as long as Hayden Christensen doesn't return, I'm good!). The second live-action series apparently is a spin-off from Rogue One. https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/obi...us-1203304387/
post #42 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-16, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
The price of ESPN+ just goes to show how out to lunch Rogers and Bell is with Sportsnet and TSN. They charge $25 each for their over the top services.
You're comparing apples and oranges. ESPN+ doesn't show any of the programming that is broadcast on ESPN / ESPN2 / ESPNU / ESPNews / SEC Network / etc. It is all additional programming and more than half of it is low-ratings stuff like CFL, European soccer, etc.
post #43 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-17, 11:33 AM
Veteran

I agree. Comparable Canadian and US sports channels and services have comparable prices. Comparing the cost of a basic cable channel to a premium service isn't valid.
post #44 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-17, 02:58 PM

Radio Disney is available on Sirius XM I believe and can stream from the Sirius app so technically it is available in Canada already.
post #45 of 110 (permalink) Old 2019-08-17, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

That’s correct..... I use to listen to it in the days I subsribed to Sirius XM Canada !

Back on topic though from the rumours I’ve heard Disney Plus is suppose to come to Canada next year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in