Streaming New Movie Releases in UHD - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2019-02-26, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Streaming New Movie Releases in UHD

I am looking to clarify what is required to stream new releases in UHD. Using the new release A Star is Born as an example, FibeTV (who I am with) only has the HD version, looing at Cineplex same you can rent and stream the HD version however on YouTube it shows you can rent the UHD version but the UHD version requires Chromecast so I assume it will not stream via an HTPC playing YouTube via the web browser.

I am fine with purchasing a Chromecast Ultra device but before I do I wanted to confirm if anyone is using that and successfully renting and streaming new releases in UHD.

Lastly since my setup is front projection is anyone aware of issues plugging the Chromecast device into an AVR.

….If anyone has another suggestion on a better solution let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2019-02-26, 02:24 PM

I don't know about renting on YouTube, but free 4K HDR videos on YouTube worked fine on my Chromecast Ultra connected to Denon 4200W when I tested it (since then I moved it to HDMI 4 input of my TV)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2019-03-08, 09:18 AM

I don't have the Chromecast Ultra but do stream UHD movies from Google Play. My setup is a Vizio M (F series) tv with built in CC and a 5.1 system with a Denon (pre 4K) receiver. TV is connected to receiver using ARC.

Here is what happens when I rent an UHD movie from Google

Cast from tablet using GP Movies to my tv I will only get 480p and DD sound.
Cast from tablet using YT to my tv I will only get 480p max and stereo sound.
Use the internal YT app I will get 4K and stereo sound.

For the last two, I still get 5.1 sound although extracted form the 2.0 source. Still not the same as a proper Dolby Digital feed but I haven't found a way to get 4K and DD.

I am able to cast Netflix and YT from my table to the tv and do get 4K (Netflix will give DD+ sound). This makes me think GP Movies like to control things differently.

No idea how the CC Ultra will deal with things.

Samsung 61A750 - McCormack LD-2/DNA-250 - Dynaudio Contour S1.4 - SVS PB12-Plus - Oppo BDP-83 - PS3/Xbox360

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in