Question about Canadian Streaming rights - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-02-09, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Hey all, I have a question about Canadian Streaming rights. If CBS All Access here in Canada has an old show (re-run) in its line up is it possible for that same show to show up on Prime Video here or Netflix and both services, whichever one to have said show at the same time? or can only one streaming service have rights to an old show for streaming purposes exclusively at a time?

I know movie rights and tv show rights can be different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-02-09, 10:00 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
It all depends on the rights owner whether they wish to make a particular programme exclusive or not and where to license it geographically.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-02-09, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Oh ok thanks !

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-02-09, 11:43 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Of course the entity that is purchasing the streaming rights may influence the final decision. For example, they may pay significantly more for exclusive rights or worldwide rights, etc, so the rights holder is not the only one involved. It's a negotiation, like many things in life and may also include a time limit.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-02-09, 08:41 PM
Veteran

I'd think a lot of classic stuff on CBS All Access Canada is available for others to stream, for the right price.

They've got precious little new programming, and they've made some of that available to stream elsewhere - such as The Good Fight - which is on Amazon Prime Video in Canada.

Also a lot of their classic streaming content is available for broadcast as well - a lot can be seen on CHCH channel 11 in Hamilton for example.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-02-10, 02:47 PM
Veteran

I agree that CBS All (well maybe some) Access is a big disappointment. CBS has probably lost the rights to most of programming they originally aired. It's even worse in Canada since they may have sold the first year and rerun rights to Canadian broadcasters for several years. I doubt that streaming rights for TV programming were even considered over 20 years ago so other companies may own exclusive rights for all methods of distribution for programming produced before then.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-02-11, 12:54 PM
Veteran

Not so much a disappointment - if they'd have held onto the rights for some of their current programming, I'd have subscribed already for $5.99 a month. Hard to be disappointed because I don't need to subscribe to watch Star Trek Discovery or The Good Fight.

And they do seem to have a significant amount of classic content, unlike many others (Prime, Netflix, Crave). And what I did check out while I had the 1-month free was very good picture quality. CBS (like everyone else) might not have preserved all their rights to their old programmes - but they appear to have done better than many networks. And they do seem to be trying to put out well curated stuff, not just any old poor-quality crap they can upload.

If it's a disappointment, it's not a big one. I'm currently more disappointed that we haven't had better offerings from NBC or ABC/Disney, which seems months to years behind CBS in Canada.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in