Cutting The Cord Cutting - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-06-18, 02:53 PM

If you were like me and the only option to know what was going on with any game was on the radio, you got used to it.

Kids today probably don't realize that only a short time ago, you couldn't get scores instantly, and not every game was available on TV. Some games didn't even have a camera crew there, and blackouts were a thing just a few years ago (for example, as a Buffalo Bills fan, games were not always on TV just a couple years ago).

Plus the price of TSN and SN is crazy these days - $50 goes a long way a month to an early retirement...

Radio is great - I can close my eyes, do something else (read, work on the garden, hobbies, etc) and still follow the game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-06-18, 03:43 PM
Veteran

It's called being spoiled. Kids now a days have a sense of entitlement. Take away their phone and they go ape sh!t. they are too involved in technology, they do not know the risks, they do not know how people survived before technology was mainstream and do not want to know.

I cut the cord one year ago. I did it for several reasons, but the biggest one was expense. My wife and I are both hard working middle class citizens, we make good, not great money, but good enough to live and have money left to spend on a nice trip or so. We could afford cable if we wanted to, but there has been some unexpected things in life that has caused our expenses to go up, some in part by decisions by politicians and governments, I do not want to make this political so I am not going to explain about it but it has really been the biggest change which has caused us to spend more of our income on things like babysitting and Daycare, social services for children with learning needs, Taxes, Utilities, Food, and even changes to our Health Care. So to sum it up, TV was one of the easiest things to cut for us. Not just TV alone but We also cut the cord to our landline, and made changes cellphone and internet packages by trimming a bit and only keeping the packages with the options we actually use, so yeah no long distance.

Its a bit of a trickle effect cus it has forced us to rely more on apps to make calls to our family in the USA and overseas Europe/Africa, so instead of calling them like we did before, we now use third party apps for video and audio calls to our family which has saved us some $$$ on long distance, we still get our daily news and cast it to our tv via apps like cbc and city tv. I watch the free (and legal) tv shows via apps, some have ads which i do not mind hey its free after all, we do have a netflix but netflix is garbage so we are probably cancelling it cus netflix is not what it used to be. We are testing amazon prime video and music for a while to see if it satisfies our needs, I have a TV at work so I watch the news and headlines there, we still have TV at our in laws house so we can watch sporting events at their house, and some sporting events like the NBA finals were televised on antenna so we were able to tune it in for free legally, plus I did go to one of the Jurassic park viewing parties to watch one of the games there.

So to sumarise you can live as a cord cutter but you have to make small changes to other aspects of your life and if your on board you can easily adjust to this new life comfortably
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-06-29, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
If you were like me and the only option to know what was going on with any game was on the radio, you got used to it.

Kids today probably don't realize that only a short time ago, you couldn't get scores instantly, and not every game was available on TV. Some games didn't even have a camera crew there, and blackouts were a thing just a few years ago (for example, as a Buffalo Bills fan, games were not always on TV just a couple years ago).

Plus the price of TSN and SN is crazy these days - $50 goes a long way a month to an early retirement...

Radio is great - I can close my eyes, do something else (read, work on the garden, hobbies, etc) and still follow the game.
I remember in decades past, when there was hardly any live soccer on TV in England and the England national team was playing somewhere that didn't have the necessary floodlights, the game took place in the afternoon.

I would take a day or half day off work to listen to the radio commentary. I even stayed up until after 3.00 am to listen to match commentary coming from South America.

So I'm very familiar with the benefits of radio.

But I'm puzzled by this idea that kids are spoilt. Availability is what they are used to, just as availability of the radio was what we were used to. Do we abandon our fridges because our grandparents never had one and used to stand their milk bottle in a bowl of cold water?

What if those who came before us said "can't you wait until the newspaper to see the result, it was good enough for us."

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-06-29, 01:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur Rioux View Post
But I'm puzzled by this idea that kids are spoilt. Availability is what they are used to, just as availability of the radio was what we were used to. Do we abandon our fridges because our grandparents never had one and used to stand their milk bottle in a bowl of cold water?
It's 17671's usual "old man yells at cloud" schtick. I remember when the Atari 2600 came out. You couldn't get us off that for *months*. These days, take away my tablet and I'd go ape sh!t too. Coming to rely on new products/devices/services as they become available is not becoming spoiled. I'd love to see the reactions of CFO's of various clients if I came up and said to them, "You're a spoiled brat who has a sense of entitlement. Take away your spreadsheets and databases and you go ape sh!t. You are too involved in technology, you do not know the risks, you do not know how people survived before technology was mainstream and do not want to know."
faston and emmy1500 like this.

--
Neil
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-06-29, 10:31 PM
Veteran

While most of us appreciate the advancements in technology, there are a select few of us, some even post in this forum, who think that being spoiled means no cars, no coffee makers, no spread sheets, I guess they can not tell the difference between a "comfortable level" of technology is, and an "overly extremely dependant level" of technology. No where have I or anyone else I know said technology is bad, its good to some degree, but some of us are too reliant on it, they are the Extreme, there has to be limits on what technology can and should do for us, even when it comes to television and entertainment (to keep this on topic).
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-06-29, 11:00 PM
Veteran

And many of us realize that an older generation's definition of "an overly extremely dependant level of technology" can be in many cases the younger generation's definition of "a comfortable level of technology". This goes way back to Socrates and his views on writing ("an aid not to memory, but to reminiscence, and you give your disciples not truth, but only the semblance of truth; they will be hearers of many things and will have learned nothing; they will appear to be omniscient and will generally know nothing") and probably further.

--
Neil
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-06-30, 02:20 PM
Veteran

just a reminder, try to stick to the topic. Even I when replying to an off topic post I try to stick to the topic or make a point relevant to the topic.

So a change of topic here, Did you guys know that there are other streaming sites OTHER than netflix out there. In the last 2 months I discovered Tubi TV. I kept hearing about it for a while but never had the time to actually look into it mainly because I am very busy working hard while taking care of my 2 kids most times with no help. anyways back to the topic, Sometimes netflix is not always the only choice nor is it the best choice. Did you know Tubi actually has some GREAT movies? yeah just because they did not get millions of dollars in advertising or get millions of dollars in the box office revenues does not mean theyre garbage movies, theyre just as great as netflix, but they differ because there is no agenda in tubi like there is in Netflix to be a monopoly tubi does not produce their own movies other film companies do, so this is one difference, you actually get to see what else is out there besides being created by netflix, so yeah netflix is not the only creator in this world, secondly, its FREE, ya they put about 2 mins of commercials in it, but hey, if you studied anything about economics you will see that people actually have less money to spend than the previous generaton did and i dunno bout you but i would love a few commercials any day to make it free. netflix is expensive and they stopped carrying box office movies, they only carry their own kind,. and besides, the kids wont know the difference nor do they care, kids just want entertainment, and they are happy with commercials and learning not to be binge watchers, good for them, will people think of the kids sometimes, and yes thanks for listening to my post
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-06-30, 03:49 PM
Veteran

You really do have very little knowledge regarding most of what what you write about, don't you?

1) Most of Netflix's content is not created by Netflix. Netflix's "agenda" is to maximize their profits. They do this by showing content (both acquired and original) people want to see at a price they're willing to pay. They must be doing something right as rather than being garbage (as you called them) they "became the most nominated network at the 2018 Primetime and Creative Arts Emmy Awards with 112 nominations, therefore breaking HBO's 17-years record as most nominated network at the Emmys, who received 108 nominations" (from Wikipedia). Their paying subscriber count also keeps going up, despite increased competition in the streaming services area.

2) "netflix is expensive and they stopped carrying box office movies, they only carry their own kind" Wow! You mean Avengers, Wonder Woman, John Wick, Monty Python, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Inception, etc., were all created by Netflix? Wow! Netflix's highest plan, at $17/month, is also much cheaper than the previous generation's basic cable plan.

--
Neil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in