Digital Codes A Crap Shoot? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-07, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Digital Codes A Crap Shoot?

I buy a lot of 4K Blu-Rays of movies and some TV seasons on Blu-Ray. Most of them come with digital codes and Iím having difficulty with probably 50% of the codes not being available to redeem on iTunes? I thought Apple was a fairly big player but most codes want to redeem through Flixster which I havenít figured out how to airplay to the Apple 4KTV yet. Some(Most Fox titles) even go to google play store only. Very strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-07, 10:19 PM
Veteran

That's what happens when there are a lot of players all vying for exclusive rights deals and market share. They do it to make more money and control the market but it really screws over consumers. Compatibility was relatively good for awhile when the big studios controlled distribution but now we have a bunch of streaming services all competing for a piece of their market. Throw in a handful of different digital licensing schemes, dozens of distributors and hundreds of different hardware platforms and it's a real mess. In 20 years the market will settle down but in the meantime consumers are confused and inconvenienced. What makes it even worse is that every country is different due to segmented copyright markets so what works in one country may not work in another.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-07, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Thatís kind of what I thought. Not a huge deal as I have the discís.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-07, 10:52 PM

Lightbulb

Also, don't forget that some digital codes have expiration dates. And some do require that the disc is inserted in your computer to redeem them, as they will direct you to a very specific page (in the case of iTunes).
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-08, 08:56 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Joe View Post
I buy a lot of 4K Blu-Rays of movies and some TV seasons on Blu-Ray. Most of them come with digital codes and I’m having difficulty with probably 50% of the codes not being available to redeem on iTunes? I thought Apple was a fairly big player but most codes want to redeem through Flixster which I haven’t figured out how to airplay to the Apple 4KTV yet. Some(Most Fox titles) even go to google play store only. Very strange.

Others have covered the how/why some are only on some platform.

As for playback on the apple TV.. if it doesnt have an app itself, you should be able to airplay from a device.

Use the FLIXSTER VIDEO app (not the regular flixster).

EDIT:

While they should still play from Flixster video.. i just logged into mine, and got a notice that they are no longer operating in the US.. and can link to VUDU.

Will have to look into it more and see what that means for canada.. as i redeemed a few a week ago just fine..
and not sure if canadian can sign up for VUDU.

EDIT2:
Yeah, appears its only a redeem and playback in the US only. Plays back fine here.

GDKitty
Rogers 9865, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Onkyo HT-R690.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-08, 11:45 AM

I agree with original post. It is extremely frustrating.

We need movies anywhere to be available here in Canada asap.

Mr.6
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-08, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

I use to not bother with codes if I had the physical disc but now that I have the Apple TV & IPhone XS Max with a large screen I like to redeem them in addition to having the disc. Iíll have to check into it.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-08, 10:40 PM
Veteran

I have never bought a movie that came with free digital download but ive been tempted to try it once. I do not use iTunes and probably wont ever use them, Are the digital download codes compatible with purchasing the movies from the Google Play movies app store? I would not mind a copy of the movie on the cloud incase the disc gets damaged or lost.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-09, 10:12 AM
Veteran

@17671

Will depend on what you buy. If you are buying a DVD, will rarely have code with it.
Codes generally only come with the bluray or higher packages.

As for what/how/where they can be redeemed?

That a roll of the dice unfortunately. Most stuff from one company seems to be the same.. but beyond that.. no real standard.
I have redeemed some, which are iTunes only.
Some give an option of iTunes, google play, ultraviolet.
Some just ultraviolet.
I just redeemed Venom... and its google play ONLY.

GDKitty
Rogers 9865, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Onkyo HT-R690.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-09, 10:50 AM
Veteran

If I have a choice to buy DVD versus Blue Ray, I will opt for Blue ray since i have a High definition TV, and a high definition blue ray player, so might as well fill in the missing link and get the high definition disc too right? and watch it in high definition like the director intended or sometimes they offer combo pack with one dvd, one blue ray and one digital download which I have never bought this yet for myself, I have bought it for a gift for someone else tho

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in