Apple 4K 32gb Vs 64gb - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-12-12, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Apple 4K 32gb Vs 64gb

Sometime between Boxing Day and Jan 5 Iím going to purchase an Apple TV as I started to buy shows that I canít get on Blu-Ray from iTunes on my iPhone. What would I need the larger unit for? Once purchased and I own the shows donít I just stream them off iTunes or do I have to download all purchases? If so even 64gb wonít get me very far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-12-12, 03:03 PM

Location: Kingston, ON - Bell ES 9241, Onkyo TX808, Oppo93, AppleTV3, Vizio 55", PSB & Yamaha speakers for 7:1
I asked the same thing of my son-in-law. [32 vs 64]

He said he needs the extra gigs 'cause he downloads games etc.

??
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-12-12, 03:32 PM

The movies you purchase are stored in iCloud. You can watch them on any of your devices (where you are signed in with your Apple ID) and they do not take up space on the AppleTV. You can download the movies to your iTunes library on your computer. If you don't have enough space there, you can maintain your iTunes library on an external drive. This is the way I understand it. I have 3 AppleTVs with lots of Apps on them, including a few games. All are 32GB and I've never run into any warning about lack of space to add another App.

I hope that helps with your decision.

Telus 4K PVR & 2 wireless boxes; switched from Shaw for more HD and 4K channels, 3 AppleTVs

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-12-12, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Thatís good to know. I wonít be playing games on it just watching shows I purchase so unless the 64gb is as cheap Iíll stick with the 32gb.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-12-15, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Iím assuming I can use Netflix & Amazon Prime through The Apple 4KTV but does anyone know if you can also use the new Crave TV through it?

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-12-15, 12:52 PM

Yes, I have all three and prefer them that way. Netflix, Prime and Crave. The new CBC Gems App is nice, too.

Telus 4K PVR & 2 wireless boxes; switched from Shaw for more HD and 4K channels, 3 AppleTVs
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-12-15, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Thatís good to know. Iím currently watching Netflix & Prime on my Panasonic UB900 but would like all through the Apple.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-12-15, 04:23 PM

I could watch through TELUS for Netflix and Crave or my LG TV for Netflix and Prime (no Crave on there yet), but I prefer to use Apple TV for all of them. Apple’s TV App can remember what you’ve been watching and displays what episodes you night like to look at, etc, across the top of the screen. It harmonizes also with the CBC, Global and CityTV Apps.

Last edited by meshmellow; 2018-12-15 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Inaccuracy about Netflix
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-12-15, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Thatís good to know. By the sounds of things the Apple TV will integrate the shows I purchase off iTunes and Netflix, Prime along with Crave quite nicely.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-12-27, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Well Iím leeringly starting to purchase some shows from iTunes. Hopefully they donít disappear some day. I canít quite figure a few things out. My plan is to buy what I can on BD and purchase what I canít get on BD through iTunes. As an example: I have the first three seasons on Power & Ray Donovan on BD, after that they went DVD only so Iíll buy the remaining seasons on iTunes in HD, now we watch most shows we want to keep on our own time so how is it my wife wanted to buy season 8 of The Walking Dead on BD for $55 or up to $75 depending where you look. That price is crazy and I wonít pay that much, but on iTunes the season is only $32. You canít tell me that physical discs are that much more to produce. I also found The Americans S2-5 for $9.99/each season which is cheaper than the DVDís. I canít get all the logic for the pricing structures but it is what it is I guess.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-12-27, 10:30 PM
Veteran

Video discs cost under $1 to manufacture. The higher costs for discs is largely due to distribution costs and retail markup. Depending on the product, distribution and retail markups can account for up to 90% of the price. It costs very little to distribute a disc electronically and Apple takes about a 30% commission.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-12-28, 12:03 AM

@Smokin Joe your right to stream movies and TV shows from iTunes only lasts as long as Apple's contract with the studio. Here's an interesting article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...rchases-issue/

The deal you got on The Americans may have been part of an iTunes sale that started on Black Friday.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-12-28, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Thatís exactly what Iím talking about Dr. Dave. For the exact reasons in the article I wonít ever purchase any actual movies from iTunes as Iíll still buy the 4K BDs. Iíll limit my purchases to shows I canít get on Blu-Ray only.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-12-28, 12:16 PM
Veteran

I've got to wonder if it's worth purchasing any videos. Never mind licensing issues, most of the newer videos for sale on iTunes will end up on OTT streaming services or other subscription services within a year. Renting or borrowing discs are almost always significantly cheaper than purchasing for newer material. If the price is good, as in cheaper than renting or a monthly OTT subscription, then purchasing a disc may be a good option. I've seen several physical media options disappear. Tapes are history, including Betamax and VHS video. I've seen 2 types of 12" videodiscs become obsolete. None of those can be played without a vintage player and quality is marginal at best. I couldn't even give away my videodisc player once the video stores stopped renting the discs.

The main thing to remember is that physical media of all types is rapidly becoming obsolete. Apart from a few hard to find titles, CDs are almost worthless and DVDs are following the same trend. 1080p Blu-ray isn't far behind as major streaming services are rolling out on-demand 4K titles and 4K Blu-ray titles appear to be taking over the videophile market. The main thing I don't like about Blu-ray is that licensing for discs can be revoked without warning. (It's not just an issue with online digital only purchases.) I haven't heard of that happening but I have heard of Blu-ray player licenses being revoked. When that happens, a new player must be purchased to play new titles.
meshmellow likes this.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 2018-12-28, 02:58 PM

I went with 64G as the difference between the two models were about $15, I think. Now the difference is $5 at that famous membership store.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in