Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Netflix Canada discussion

73K views 210 replies 53 participants last post by  David1953 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
"The Flash" on Netflix Canada?

My apologies if this is the wrong place for it, but can someone tell me why Netflix Canada has not uploaded the two most recent episodes of The Flash? With CTV dropping the series there's no other way to watch it in Canada(unless you watch it on The CW).

#29 ·
Netflix may still be good value for the money but as it is losing Disney’s content especially Marvel production in the future it may face more competition and loss of subscribers.
Personally I love most of Marvel’s shows but Netflix original production is a hit and miss for me and some of them look more like low budget shows or movies.

#30 ·
Netflix just cancelled production on some of their Marvel original shows. I'm guessing that Marvel is going to be going downhill from now on. The loss of Stan Lee will probably be a factor and the whole franchise is starting to feel a bit oversaturated. Disney is a force to be reckoned with. It may siphon off a lot of young family subscriptions.

The biggest threat to Netflix appears to be its debt level. It needs to start making a profit soon. Any downturn in subscriber numbers or failure to meet business expectations could force it into bankruptcy.

#31 ·
Generally, I don't keep track of what's going on with Netflix programs and trying to sort out what's specific to Canada, so don't depend on me to post Netflix news. If you see something relevant to Canada, feel free to post it. Occasionally, I will post news items I come across.

The first season of Lifetime’s drama You will air as a Netflix original outside of the U.S. beginning Dec. 26. Starting with Season 2, Lifetime U.S. will drop the series to focus on movies and You will become a Netflix global original. (Deadline)

#32 ·
For those watching The Flash on Netflix Canada, a special Sunday night episode airs tonight in the US but it won't be on Netflix Canada until Tuesday. It's Part 1 of a 3-part crossover with Arrow (Mon night on Space) and Supergirl (Tues night on Showcase), so you'll want to either wait until Tuesday to watch all 3 (and record Arrow on Monday), or watch The Flash on The CW tonight if you can (and then Arrow on Mon and Supergirl on Tues).

Why does Netflix Canada wait 2 days for The Flash, but only 1 day for Riverdale? it would be a lot better if it were next-day.

#34 ·
I have Netflix via a Roku stick+. Works fine. The Roku is plugged in to my AVR.

Started watching an episode of Travellers and noticed no sound. Clicked up arrow on the Roku remote and selected Audio settings. I saw I was set to 'Original English 5.1'. I tried 'Original English' and the sound came on.

Is this a Netflix thing or a Roku thing? If it is a Roku thing then I am posting in the wrong place I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#35 ·
Netflix has cancelled Travelers after its third season. The series first launched on Canada’s Showcase in 2016, with Netflix handling international distribution. Netflix then took over as the sole production company for Season 3. (TVLine) All 3 seasons are available for streaming on Netflix Canada. Corus is still showing reruns on the first 2 seasons on Showcase, DejaView and ABC Spark.

#37 · (Edited)
Spider-Man 3 is on Netflix, as is Spider Man Homecoming 1 and 2 for now. I’ve noticed Spider-Man 1, 2 and 3 are all on Canadian Prime Video as they have movies on there now. Not sure how long they have had them now as I’m new to it. I’m watching Spider-Man (1) as I type on Prime.You can subscribe for $7.99/month and you get a 1 month free trial for anyone interested in that too. It sure has gotten better !

#38 ·
Today, Netflix announced it is creating a dedicated production hub in Toronto, choosing two studio spaces in Toronto that expand its production presence in Canada.

At Cinespace Studios, Netflix will lease four sound stages, along with office space and support space totaling approximately 164,000 square feet.

At Pinewood Toronto Studios, Netflix will also lease four sound stages and adjacent office space comprising a total footprint of approximately 84,580 square feet.

More info: Netflix Press Release

#42 ·
Netflix: Mindhunter (2017)
Just finished this well-acted, well-produced series. I believe the series is set in the 1970's judging by the cars and the dial telephones they use. The only thing that bugs me about the show is:The FBI agents never lock their cars even when they visit a high crime area! A couple we know told me what a good show it was and that it was about serial killers and what makes them tick. I then asked them if they could name a few of the characters in the show. They said one was called Richard Speck and another one was named Ed Kemper. They were shocked when I told them that these were based on real people and not fictitious characters.BTW:The actor who played Ed Kemper was a giant like Kemper: 6ft 9inches and weighed well over 300 lbs and was a dead-ringer for the real Kemper.

#43 ·
Mindhunter is great, it's based on a book by retired FBI agent John Douglas and a writer. This accurately shows the beginning of the Behavioral Science Unit of the FBI circa 1976. What makes this stand out is nothing is sensationalized, it's protagonist is methodically unraveling what makes serial killers tick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_Science_Unit

Here's a video of the real Ed Kemper, notice how dispassionate he is talking about how he killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9bMsfEMKqs

#44 ·
Thanks for this, Zank! That video was really chilling! During the early 60's I was a Psyche Nurse at Riverview Psychiatric Hospital in B.C. During my six years there, I talked to a couple of serial killers and the one thing that really stood out was the dispassionate way they talked about their crimes! BTW: I recall a TV interview with a psychiatrist who studied serial killers. He found that most of them have five red flags in their background when they were young: 1.constantly lied to their parents 2 lit many small fires 3. were bed wetters 4.stole money and small objects 5, extreme cruelty to small animals such as kittens, puppies, and pet rabbits etc.!!

#49 · (Edited)
I remember reading an article in a reputable trade mag that said that international streaming for those shows would continue in some countries, but didn't go into details about which countries.

WarnerMedia probably won't launch any version of HBO Max in Canada, so Friends should stay on Netflix. I don't know if Comcast/NBCU plan to launch their streaming service in Canada, which would affect The Office.

EDIT: @jeffaustin90 I found the article I read:
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/warnermedia-hbo-max-friends-netflix-1203263656/

#52 ·
Still having some problem in digesting the services audience numbers but what is most disconcerting is the cost of programs. How on earth is "The Irishmen" costing 200 million dollars. Is Netflix the new retirement funding source for old Hollywood actors. Regardless of its subscriber base the money is running out. I suppose cheap programs from Japan, India, Iceland, France, etc. help balance the books.

#53 ·
Netflix serves over 90 countries so, cost aside, it makes sense that its programming would be produced in other countries in order to serve those markets. It's not just Netflix. HBO has produced shows in other countries for a number of years. Importing and co-producing TV shows by specialty stations and public TV networks has been common for decades.

As for programming costs, streaming in general and Netflix in particular have created a new "golden age of television." I look at it as more of a "gold rush" as actors and producers pile on to get a piece of the 10s of billions of dollars being spent each year. A lot of the new programming comes with high cost production costs and salaries but, in my opinion, fails to live up to its potential.

#54 · (Edited)
I noticed tonight Netflix has two seasons of Spongebob Square Pants.With all l the Disney stuff leaving Netflix makes me think they are shifting focus to Nickelodeon. They also added Teen Titans Go (didn’t notice this before) which is owned by Warner Brothers (not that I care lol). Might be other stuff.As we all know Di.ney Plus will cause Netflix to have to look for new content.