Netflix Canada discussion - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 2018-11-29, 05:01 PM
Veteran

IMHO, Netflix is generating more high quality TV content than any other content producer, including Disney. Like the Haunting of House Hill (I just finished that series); it was very well done. In the "bad old days" of cable, nobody was producing as much high quality content as Netflix does. Most of the "big TV networks" were producing a handful of very mediocre scripted series, one or two good scripted series, and a lot of slop (e.g. reality TV shows).

Plus, you only got to see one episode a week, had to deal with advertising, and you often needed proprietary hardware to view the content. Oh, and it cost much(!) more than even Netflix new (higher) prices.

I don't miss cable. At $14 CAD/month Netflix is still a steal. I figure Netflix is probably going to increase their new content spend and they need more revenue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 11:07 AM
Veteran

I don't have an issue with Netflix, yeah it produces Content good for them, but its also content that the majority of us have never watched before cus it never existed outside of netflix. So I hope you understand where I'm coming from. Not everyone can simply "Forget" or "give up" on their favourite tv shows or programs they are used to watching on cable or antenna, and simply sign up to Netflix and move forward in life as nothing has changed. Its a BIG change, some people mite "like" the change in programming, some people might absolutely hate it. The people who hate netflix cus it does not have stuff they like or are interested in, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them, they are very smart people who actually have a unique but perfect taste in television that Netflix is NOT smart enough to cater to. Just because its High Quality Content, does not mean its Content that Everybody wants to watch or enjoy. Disney was also high quality too and my kids loved disney movies on Netflix but they are going to be Very Sad that it will be gone for good. Just because Disney is moving their content to their own Over The Top Streaming platform does not mean everyone will jump ship and sign up either, a lot of people have tough choices to make, should they keep netflix, should they scale back, should they sign up for Disney Plus + or what ever they decide to call it? or should they go with another company? pretty soon the price of over the top streaming services will add up to what you were paying for with cable already or close to it.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 01:13 PM

I've never subscribed to Netflix - the reason I don't is that they provide the content I'm interested to other service providers or on DVD/Blu-Ray.

If they kept the content on their platform, I would need to subscribe, but since I can pick up a DVD of Trailer Park Boys, Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, and many other "Netflix" exclusive shows for a couple bucks and resell it for the same to the next person, why would I pay a monthly fee?

Some older shows are showing up on OTA now. Even House of Cards when it was popular was going to be on CHCH before Kevin Spacey's problems.

I just think they are losing a lot of revenue from people like myself who don't mind waiting to save a lot of money - if they didn't release their content elsewhere, it would force me to subscribe.

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 01:51 PM
Veteran

It's not difficult to see where this is headed. Netflix $14 + Crave $20 + Amazon Prime $8 + PBS Passport $6 + Britbox (BBC+ITV) $8 + CBC $6 + CBS $6 / Hulu $10-$16 + AMC Premiere $6 + TCM Filmstruck $8 + FXNow $6 + Disney $? +++

Netflix is one of the better players since all of its content is available immediately and it's spending the bulk of its money on new original content. As such it's considered a premium service and can command premium prices. Lists for TV premieres of new programming are dominated by Netflix. By comparison, Crave and HBO spend a lot of their money on purchasing second run movies from studios. Most other services pale in comparison. Some services don't even make their current programming available and charge $6 or more for a limited selection of programming that has been syndicated and aired on TV for decades.

That said, Netflix is far from being a complete selection of the best or new programming available. It's programming is very eclectic and most of it won't appeal to everyone. Most broadcasters produce a limited selection of high quality programming each year. To get a complete selection of the best programming that appeals to all tastes, access to a wide variety of broadcasters is necessary. Cable television always excelled at that. Then OTT services arrived and siphoned off some of the best content. Now we need cable plus OTT to access everything we want to see.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 02:16 PM
Veteran

Netflix also admitted they offered their streaming service at a discount to you for the last few years to increase their subscriber base and popularity, this resulted them operating at a loss for the last few years. If any of you have been paying attention to the News, it means Netflix has increased their prices recently and may continue to do further increases to now become profitable. I suspect other streaming services are doing the same, so its only a matter of time now that in the next 2 years or so, the price of 2 streaming services will cost you as much as a basic or entry level cable tv or satellite tv or iptv solution would cost, and please do not forget "ton of exclusive high quality content" =/= better. They are still missing out on live news, live sports, the weather, local community programming, local affairs, local multicultural programming affairs, etc. specific targeted content that people want like renovation shows, home improvement, multicultural, local sports, etc. when this happens call me.
metalhawk likes this.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 02:19 PM

Will consumers eventually be able to purchase bundled streaming services?
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 03:42 PM

Having a profit is entirely based on how do you juggle the books. Part of the problem is the ridiculous payments to stars such as Ellen, Hart, Springfield, numerous movie stars and so on. Twenty million to Ellen for one show. We enjoy the service but it is not subscribers that should be forced into higher prices. Another example of good old American greed.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 05:01 PM

I have been a regular Netflix subscriber for a long time, and there is no doubt that it is still the highest quality streaming service, when it comes to content. However, this huge price increase got me start thinking of cancelling. I'll just try to see a few more shows, as planned, and then probably go for a very intermittent subscription (a month or two on, and then a few months off). Since they don't give any discounts on yearly versus monthly subscription, it just doesn't make any sense for me to have it all year round. Financially, that was the case even before, but another 30-ish% price increase is a slap in the face.
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 05:16 PM
Veteran

The reason people like Ellen get $20 million is because they can generate more than $20 million in revenue with just one show. That's how capitalism works. That's why some movie and TV stars get paid in the multiple millions per movie, show or season. It's a win-win for everyone in the long run because stars provide bigger audiences which increases income for producers and spreads costs between more viewers. Sometimes it misfires but that's the risk broadcasters, producers and investors take.

Netflix is estimated to be spending $9 billion in 2019 for new original content. That's a lot of money and a lot of it will be in the form of debt. At some point, Netflix needs to pay back it's debt. Some of it will be due in the next 10 years. Netflix is already experiencing short term problems due to the amount of debt it is carrying and issues with subscriber growth. It needs to start making a profit, soon. That's a balancing act between spending on new content to attract new subscribers while not spending so much that long term debt causes financial collapse.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 2018-12-01, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
I just think they are losing a lot of revenue from people like myself who don't mind waiting to save a lot of money - if they didn't release their content elsewhere, it would force me to subscribe.
On the other hand 1) how much are they making from licensing content and selling DVDs to people who would never subscribe anyway? And 2) how many people do they lure in to subscribing by giving them a taste of their Netflix Originals that way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
It's not difficult to see where this is headed. Netflix $14 + Crave $20 + Amazon Prime $8 + PBS Passport $6 + Britbox (BBC+ITV) $8 + CBC $6 + CBS $6 / Hulu $10-$16 + AMC Premiere $6 + TCM Filmstruck $8 + FXNow $6 + Disney $? +++
People like to cite this kind of thing as an example of how cord cutting doesn't actually save money, but it's a bit of a fallacy. First of all, how many people actually want all of the services? Most people pick a few that interest them and don't bother with the rest.

Secondly, even if you do want all the services, do you want them all at the same time? With most of these services you can add and drop them on a monthly basis and mix and match depending on what you want to watch. And of course that's not even accounting for the password sharing that a great many people use to share costs on these services.

If you're the edge case who watches a ton of TV every week and needs all the channels then streaming services aren't going to be great for you. But there's fantastic news: a cable subscription is going to be an excellent deal for you! For everyone else, these services may be a better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17671 View Post
They are still missing out on live news, live sports, the weather, local community programming, local affairs, local multicultural programming affairs, etc. specific targeted content that people want like renovation shows, home improvement, multicultural, local sports, etc. when this happens call me.
Netflix is betting on a younger generation who get live news and weather through the internet, and has no interest in watching it on TV. Most sports are moving to streaming services themselves. I don't know if Netflix has any home renovation shows (I've never looked, but I know they have cooking shows) but if not there are other services that do. They do have multicultural programming, but I don't know what you mean specifically there. I'm deeply concerned about local programming of all kinds, but that's not Netflix's business model.

But it sounds like you like what you get through your cable package. If you're hoping that Netflix can replace everything that you get through your cable package for $15/month, then I think you're misunderstanding what Netflix is.
emmy1500 and Mr.6 like this.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 2018-12-01, 09:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Secondly, even if you do want all the services, do you want them all at the same time?
We've had this discussion before. I agree that nobody needs all of those services all the time but more than one at a time is probably necessary for many people. The shows I watch are spread around well over a dozen channels and services so 2 at a time is probably adequate. That's if I don't want to stay current and don't mind seeing a few spoilers before shows end and I binge watch the entire series. If I just absolutely need to see all my favourite shows as they unfold than a half dozen or more services at a time may be needed. Maybe more will be needed to keep up with premium services that constantly have new content. Then there are things like news services that need to be current.

I have no doubt that some services will institute measures to combat churn from binge watchers. There will be lots of people who subscribe to a service for 1, 2 or 3 months a year and binge watch past shows. I do that with Netflix. At one time we could cancel cable or satellite for a two week vacation and save two weeks fees. They stopped that by instituting 2 or 3 month minimums. Then they decided to institute monthly fees for suspended accounts and/or reconnection fees. One time I decided to cancel satellite for 3 months in the Summer and save some money. They responded by taking away my low priced legacy package when I reactivated the service. Will OTT services do something similar? I'm sure some will.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 2018-12-01, 10:34 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
But it sounds like you like what you get through your cable package. If you're hoping that Netflix can replace everything that you get through your cable package for $15/month, then I think you're misunderstanding what Netflix is.
Look man, I GET IT, I understand that Netflix does NOT replace a Cable or satellite or IPTV subscription, I know that I know how to compare the two services they differ greatly, but tell that to the rest of the world including my WIFE who does NOT know the difference and thinks its a bargin, but she does not understand that MEN like to watch LIVE SPORTS, News, italian programming not necessarily italian movies, and other miscellaneous programming like renovation shows, cp24, cnn, etc which does NOT exist on these platforms. I GET IT, I know the difference, but SOME Women out there do not get it and do not know the difference and had to go behind my back and subscribe to Netflix when we cancelled satellite TV, and is telling all her girl friends that there is nothing bad about netflix we are not missing out on any content, but shes wrong and shes a women and does not know nor does not care.

And point #2, don't get me started on millenials and the young generation who get their news and weather from the internet. You and I both know how how much of a failure this is. For the love of god I can not stand those silly millennials who think they know what's going on in society because they use facebook and twitter instead of a trusted news organization whos been around for 100 years and when you talk to them they are SO F'N CLUELESS about what actually is happening in society and instead of fessing up they blame it on something else and try to change the topic so they do not look stupid.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 2018-12-01, 11:30 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
This thread is about Netflix. Let's try to stick to that topic please. Thanks.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 2018-12-02, 10:46 AM
Veteran

Netflix may still be good value for the money but as it is losing Disney’s content especially Marvel production in the future it may face more competition and loss of subscribers.
Personally I love most of Marvel’s shows but Netflix original production is a hit and miss for me and some of them look more like low budget shows or movies.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 2018-12-02, 11:39 AM
Veteran

Netflix just cancelled production on some of their Marvel original shows. I'm guessing that Marvel is going to be going downhill from now on. The loss of Stan Lee will probably be a factor and the whole franchise is starting to feel a bit oversaturated. Disney is a force to be reckoned with. It may siphon off a lot of young family subscriptions.

The biggest threat to Netflix appears to be its debt level. It needs to start making a profit soon. Any downturn in subscriber numbers or failure to meet business expectations could force it into bankruptcy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in