Can I Use Any Android Box to Chromecast on Another TV? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 2018-11-19, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Can I Use Any Android Box to Chromecast on Another TV?

We're getting a new android box and it will be in the bedroom connected to the TV in there. I want to be able to cast what's streaming on the android box onto a TV in the kitchen. Can I mirror anything that's on the android box onto the TV in the kitchen if I have a Chromecast in the kitchen TV?

I'm under the impression that since the box is android, I can mirror what's on it using Chromecast. Just like I can with an android phone. Is this true? Or do I need special software? Or is this only true for certain android boxes like the Nvidia Shield.

Sorry if it's a silly question...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 2018-11-19, 10:26 PM
Veteran

Provided the app supports it, just about any Android box can cast to a Chromecast. The Chrome browser can also cast from a PC. Haven't tried it from Chrome on Android.

Mirroring, or monitoring and watching what is being cast, is another issue. A lot of services stream directly to the Chromecast. That means the playback is controlled from the originating device but the content is no longer displayed on it. There may be situations where the content can be monitored on both devices but Crave and Netflix are not among them. There are protocols that actually mirror the screen to a streaming device but my experience is that these don't work as well as a Chromecast.
TheHans likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in