"Sundance Now" streaming available in Canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 2018-07-30, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

"Sundance Now" streaming available in Canada

It seems that it wasn't widely publicized, but the Sundance Now streaming service has been available in Canada since March, 2017.

Toronto Star article in PressReader.com

The price is $6.99 per month, or $59.99 per year, with a seven-day free trial. For Canada, the the prices will be adjusted to reflect local currency.

Supports iOS, Apple TV, Android, Roku, Amazon FireTV, Chromecast, web browsers as well as through Amazon Prime Video.

Here is the Xbox One app for Canada: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/stor...w/9pmc6gc3d82n

You can browse the catalog at sundancenow.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 2018-07-30, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

SUNDANCE NOW's fall highlights include:

"Dead Lucky" (U.S. and Canada Premiere; Four episodes)
Series Begins Streaming Thursday, September 20

"54 Hours" (U.S. and Canada Premiere; Four episodes)
Streaming Date to Come

"The Bureau" (U.S. and Canada Season Four Premiere; 10 episodes)
Streaming Date to Come

"The Cry" (U.S. and Canada Premiere; Four episodes)
Streaming Date to Come

"Cheat" (U.S. and Canada Premiere; Four episodes)
Streaming Date to Come

See the Full Press Release for series descriptions
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 2018-07-30, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Here are the 2018 press releases, just to catch up on the news. Most content should be available in Canada, but I noticed that the Baroness Von Sketch Show in the last press release doesn't show up in the series list for me. Since that show was produced for CBC, they probably retained the exclusive Canadian streaming rights.

SUNDANCE NOW TO EXPAND ITS OFFERINGS WITH THE LAUNCH OF ORIGINAL SCRIPTED PODCAST "EXETER" STARRING JEANNE TRIPPLEHORN AND RAY MCKINNON

SUNDANCE NOW AND SHUDDER ACQUIRE "A DISCOVERY OF WITCHES" BASED ON THE #1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

STEPHEN FREARS TO DIRECT ROSAMUND PIKE AND CHRIS O'DOWD IN "STATE OF THE UNION"

SUNDANCE NOW CELEBRATES PRIDE MONTH WITH THE EXCLUSIVE U.S. PREMIERE OF "TAKE 5: BEYOND THE PARADES"

TELE MÜNCHEN GROUP (TMG) ANNOUNCES PARTNERSHIP WITH AMC NETWORKS' SUNDANCE TV & SUNDANCE NOW FOR "THE NAME OF THE ROSE"

SUNDANCE NOW ACQUIRES CRITICALLY-ACCLAIMED SCRIPTED COMEDY "MOTHERLAND" FROM LIONSGATE

SUNDANCE NOW GREENLIGHTS SECOND SEASON OF ORIGINAL RELATIONSHIP DRAMEDY "THIS CLOSE"

SUNDANCE NOW ANNOUNCES THE EXCLUSIVE U.S. PREMIERE OF AN ORIGINAL, THOUGHT-PROVOKING DOCUMENTARY COLLECTION: "TAKE 5: THE SHADOW OF ISIS"

SUNDANCE NOW'S NEW SUSPENSEFUL SERIES "INNOCENT," STARRING LEE INGLEBY, SET TO MAKE ITS U.S. DEBUT ON THE PREMIUM STREAMING SERVICE THURSDAY, MARCH 22ND

SUNDANCE NOW ANNOUNCES DIVERSE 2018 WINTER PROGRAMMING SLATE, FEATURING ORIGINAL COMEDIES, DRAMAS AND TRUE CRIME STORIES

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 2018-07-30, 11:22 AM
Veteran

Just checked out the web site. This will definitely be of interest to people who like documentaries. I counted 180 documentaries, many of which were about well known people. Some of them look quite interesting. I also counted 33 scripted dramas. Not all were original.

The one shortcoming I saw was in the devices available for streaming. Most of the popular devices were listed, including iOS and Android apps, Roku, Xbox One and Amazon Fire. Notably missing are Apple TV, web browsers such as Chrome and any mention of smart TVs. I do most of my streaming using Chrome on Windows so that is a concern. I don't want to have to buy another $100 device for just one streaming service.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 2018-07-30, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

My summary of supported devices in post 1 is a consolidation of various lists published by Sundance Now. Unfortunately, they have several different lists scattered around. They support Apple TV 4th gen and web browsers including Chrome. "We are working hard to expand the devices available for streaming....Smart TV Apps and additional gaming platforms are definitely on the horizon."

Support: Sundance Now | Portal
Tip for enabling Silverlight on Chrome: Sundance Now | Where are my video controls on my comput...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 2018-07-30, 12:52 PM
Veteran

It looks like a case of those devices working but not being officially supported yet.

Another issue I see is that their videos are only available in 480p and 720p. That's OK but not good seeing as other premium services have most titles available in 1080p with some newer titles in 4K. I hope their new original series will be available in 1080p and 4K.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 2018-07-30, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It looks like a case of those devices working but not being officially supported yet.
I'm not sure where you get that impression. Here is a quote from the press release in post 2 that says they are officially supported.

"To stream all Sundance Now content via web, iOS, Android, Roku, Apple TV, and Chromecast, visit SundanceNow.com and sign up for a free trial."

and another support article:
Sundance Now | Sundance Now on AppleTV
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 2018-07-30, 05:16 PM
Veteran

I can't see the full article in the link and the web site only mentions the devices in my post. Maybe they need to update their web site.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 2018-08-27, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 2018-09-30, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Sundance Now announced that Exeter, its first-ever scripted podcast, will premiere Thursday, October 25th. Season 2 of the thriller podcast series has also been greenlit with new episodes slated to premiere in early 2019.

Full Press Release
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 2018-10-07, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 2018-10-13, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Sundance Now announced that the U.K hit series The Cry will begin streaming in the U.S. and Canada starting Thursday, November 8th. (Source)
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 2018-10-15, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Sundance Now is partnering on the Scandinavian crime series The Oslo Killing and will launch the six-hour documentary series in 2019 in the U.S., Canada and its European territories. (Source)

----

Additional new programming in this Sundance Now Press Release:

Jonestown: Terror in the Jungle – Premieres December 20
Exeter – Debuts October 25
This Close – Available Now
Cold Blooded – Available Now
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 2018-10-16, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

The second season of This Close is currently filming eight, 30-minute episodes in Los Angeles for a 2019 release date. (Source)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 2018-11-04, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Sky, the British pay-TV giant, has ordered seasons two and three of A Discovery of Witches. Season one is available on Sundance Now and Shudder. (Source)

Tags
amc , sundance now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in