Cord Cutting Costing More - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-07-07, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Cord Cutting Costing More

As a new cord cutter things are going well so far. My antenna works great. https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...own/764921002/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-07-07, 12:48 PM
Veteran

Of course its going to cost more, they capitalize on anything that is growing in demand, this was a given, and I predicted this to happen a few years ago. I myself am a new cord cuter, not cus I dislike cable tv, but because of my current temporary financial situation (or lack of one, lol). So I have decided to cancel not only my satellite tv but my home phone too. I am currently watching my wifes netflicks account but I really do not like netflicks because half the shows I am used to watching are not even on there. but I have plans to eventually get an Antenna and start watching Antenna broadcasts why? because Antenna is Free, people seem to forget that. and there are channels on Antenna with tv shows that are NOT on netflicks, and guess what? I like some of those shows on Antenna.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-07-07, 01:22 PM

Unsurprisingly, the logic in this article is super lazy:
  • The author doesn't even bother trying to find an alternate internet provider (maybe impossible in that area but we're not told)
  • The author assumes that those with cable won't also have Netflix and also that those without cable must have Netflix, neither of which are safe bets
  • The author seems to be trying to recreate his cable package without cable, but lots of people don't want that
  • The author describes a collection of services that are almost certainly significantly more robust than their cable service (Netflix, YoutubeTV, Hulu, HBO Now, and CBS All Access), then expresses dismay that this would be more expensive

That said, I'm with him that OTA is a great option for those living in areas where it's possible!

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-07-07, 01:25 PM
Veteran

I have cut the cord and I am saving over $100 a month. With cutting the cord one can cut the cost a lot or can pay a lot by subscribing to many streaming services. I have Netflix, OTA, CBC, CBS and Prime Video all of that for less than $30 per month.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-07-07, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

My setup was costing me $140/month easily. Now I have Amazon Prime(which I got for the shipping &perks not for the streaming) Netflix, DirecTV Now(had to fudge my location as to get US networks) and OTA which gets me 4 channels here in SK. All for about $50/month and is more than enough. Sasktel has no cap so I don’t have to worry about usage.

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-07-07, 01:44 PM
Veteran

Trying to recreate a cable service with OTT services is a dumb idea. A lot of cable channels only have one or two blockbuster hits a year so it's worth waiting until they are cheaply available from other sources. Another option is to just subscribe to an OTT service long enough to binge watch their latest content. I only subscribe to Netflix a few months each year when network programming is on hiatus. A lot of content is available OTT for free from the stations themselves if you don't mind being forced to watch commercials.

CraveTV just went up $2 per month for non-Bell customers. They gave me 3 months for free but I found almost nothing I wanted watch or hadn't already seen. CBS All Access is the same.

Netflix may be increasing prices but the amount of new content they are creating is also increasing rapidly. They are spending more money on original programming than CBS, the previous biggest spender on original TV content. The difference between Netflix and CBS is that Netflix still has rights to all it's original content. CBS only has a small portion of it's content on All Access.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-07-07, 02:48 PM
Veteran

I keep CBS All Access mostly for American news not the shows since I don’t have cable. I don’t think people are expecting to have cable OTT service and most channels would not make in OTT world anyways but services like HBO, FX or AMC as OTT would make it for sure and would be positive move in Canada since these are premium channels and only available with higher cable packages anyways.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-07-07, 04:41 PM
Veteran

Funny thing, last night I called Rogers and changed my plan. My Internet connection went from 60 Mb & 200 GB cap to 75 Mb (92-93 Mb according to speedtest.net) and 500 MB cap for about $17/month less. Everything else stays the same, except I lose a couple of TV channels that I have never watched.

One thing I learned a long time ago is the lowest price is often not the best price, as it tends to cost more in other ways.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-07-07, 04:45 PM
Veteran

I got a similar deal from Rogers. The CSR said I would have more channels. Problem was I started noticing lots of channels missing that were there before. Quite a few were ones that I watch. It ended up costing about $10 to add them back in.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-07-07, 05:28 PM
Veteran

^^^^
We went through the changes and there were some channels I watched that would be cut. It cost $6 to keep them. However, I'm still $17 ahead.

I guess it all depends on what you watch. However, I'll have to ensure I still have all my regular channels.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-07-07, 05:51 PM
Veteran

Recently cost of cord cutting in Canada has gone down contradictory to the article. There is a lot of competition when it comes to internet service.
I am paying $30 a month for 50Mbps unlimited service from Virgin.
Not having to call Bell every few months to negotiate the cost of their service is priceless.
The only time I may consider tv service if there would be something like Direct TV Now available in Canada.
No need to bundle home phone or Internet service with TV service.

Last edited by bev fan; 2018-07-07 at 08:41 PM.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-07-10, 09:50 AM

I don't like how the term "cord cutting" is being used when people are just "cord substituting".

True "cord cutting" is ditching all pay services in my opinion.

The article is really about alternative providers for the same services - which is substituting "newer" technology for cable/satellite.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-07-10, 09:58 AM
Veteran

EXACTLY, cord cutting is different than cord substituting 100% percent hands down. A lot of people probably do not know the difference or do not know the correct term so they just label it as cord cutting.

My situation I had Satellite TV, then cancelled it, and I am going to try no TV for one year, to SAVE MONEY cus of my financial situation, yes I miss TV and watch it when im at my inlaws or parents house but taking care of my family and saving up is my upmost importance right now, so yes I am a cord cutter
Inglewood likes this.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-07-10, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Agreed. To me a cord cutter is using nothing but an OTA antenna.

Inglewood likes this.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-07-10, 12:19 PM
Veteran

I would include internet and OTT services such as Netflix. Cord cutting means cutting the cable TV cord and it's replacements such as DBS TV and BDU operated IPTV over cable and fibre. If you want to cut all cords, why not include telephone, hydro and municipal water? Real chord cutters live in a remote area with no outside services.
bev fan likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in