Cord Cutting Costing More - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-07-10, 12:37 PM

Location: Kingston, ON - Bell ES 9241, Onkyo TX808, Oppo93, AppleTV3, Vizio 55", PSB & Yamaha speakers for 7:1
Waiting to cut the cord [well, one of them]

Apparently TSN will offer it's channels on an Apple TV app. When this happens, bye, bye, Bell Sat. All I need is TSN [CFL fan], News - Canadian, mostly[not sure what will be available], and Streaming of world-class drama series. I have years worth of down-loaded shows and movies in my iTunes app. and now Netfilx, which may or may not be permanent. Amazon Prime a good deal if you use their free shipping service a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-07-10, 01:44 PM

The TSN app is available now.

$24.99 a month.

Still gonna say bye bye to Bell Sat.?

Mr.6
Inglewood likes this.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-07-10, 03:34 PM

I tried cord cutting for 2 year (during university). Got news and shows with an antenna which brought me 25+ channels in Toronto including American ones.
I dont like any one them since every show and news has commercial.

I get my news by a second with Twitter account for free. But for watching soccer, I have no option for free except world cup games and twice a month premier league on NBC!!! Therefore, I need to pay for the channels either on cable or subscribe online since the free streaming isn't really that good or reliable.

Back to the main topic, after many research I've come to the conclusion to stick with my cable deal since it's either cheaper or same price as cutting the cord and switching to online subscription.

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-07-10, 03:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
I don't like how the term "cord cutting" is being used when people are just "cord substituting".

True "cord cutting" is ditching all pay services in my opinion.

The article is really about alternative providers for the same services - which is substituting "newer" technology for cable/satellite.
I have replaced my subscription to BDU with OTA and have the same channels as I would have had with cable subscription to Starter package. I have Netflix and couple of news services. Maybe I am not a cord cutter according to some but having extra $100 a month in my pocket sure feels like I cut the cord.
Now if someone wants to use the term cord cutting literally then having OTA and services like Netflix would also mean that the person has not cut the cord.

Last edited by bev fan; 2018-07-10 at 04:08 PM.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-07-10, 04:30 PM

Both Bell (Satellite only in my area) and Cogeco have been sending me some good offers lately - even when the promo period ends, they are a little enticing for my family.

I cancelled my Bell Satellite service just over 3 years ago now. I have been using a combo of OTA, an OTA DVR, free online content, and now TSN GO.

I was paying $95 a month for Bell Satellite to get everything I wanted - now I pay just under $30 for TSN (with taxes) which will be cut-off after CFL/F1 ends in November, and I am paying $30/month more for internet because I previously was on basic service with a 20GB download limit. I also spent about $750 in equipment (antenna, grounding, mounting, amplifiers, OTA DVR, laptop, better router/wifi to keep up) to replace the Bell box I had.

At this time, I'm at $45/month average in new expenses before I cut off Bell, plus amortizing my new equipment (about $20/month for how long it's lasted) for a total of $65/month. I've saved well over $1000, but with the ease of watching TV more complicated with the various boxes and services.

The most expensive package I would want now would be basic/locals + TSN and a DVR rental. I can get that on promo for $35 from Cogeco (goes up to just under $80 after 36 months), and long term on Bell is about $70/month - plus I would get more channels where I am more reliably.

In a few years, my OTA equipment will be a brick when ATSC 3.0 is introduced - do I go back to a provider, or invest in a new OTA DVR, and possibly other equipment again?
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-07-12, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I’m trying out a few Service’s now but will ultimately only keep one plus Prime & OTA once the trials are over. https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ble/746319002/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-07-13, 07:01 AM
Veteran

I don't know why would anybody be considered a cord cutter just by switching from Direct TV satellite to Direct Tv Now.
I guess Cord Cutting is widely used term that has different meaning to different people.
Inglewood and Mr.6 like this.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-10-15, 03:55 PM

Interesting https://globalnews.ca/news/4538209/c...-tax-download/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-10-15, 05:39 PM
Veteran

Sound like the CD tax all over again. CDs were taxed to compensate artists for people who used them to copy music. The problem was that many people had never used CDs to copy music but they had to pay the tax anyway.

Now another group wants to arbitrarily tax people for downloading data. I can easily say that I repeatedly go over 15GB/mo without any TV or video streaming. Email, software updates, web browsing and similar tasks consume about 50Mb of data each month without any video streaming. That is steadily increasing as the size of web pages and other types of data increase annually. With the increased use of cloud backup, for things like personal photos and data, it amounts to taxing people for their own work. It also places an unfair burden on people who work from home. Then there are people who already pay high fees for IPTV services that are increasingly internet based or have an internet component. Music streaming, for which I pay $10 a month, probably consumes another 20GB. Why should Canadians be forced to pay the Screen Composers Guild of Canada a tax on that? I suspect that most of the stuff that does get streamed isn't even Canadian anyway and was created by non-Canadians.

This is just another case of a group of self-entitled Canadians trying to use government regulation for a money grab. If they want better pay they should bargaining with TV and movie producers for it like everyone else does with their employers and customers. Arbitrarily taxing other Canadians because their business model is failing is not the solution.
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-10-15, 05:48 PM

Now that pretty much nobody uses CD anymore when is that tax going to stop btw?
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-10-15, 05:53 PM
Veteran

It's been replaced by the music royalty tax on SiriusXM. At least that doesn't apply to non-listeners.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-10-15, 09:46 PM
Veteran

Quote:
It's been replaced by the music royalty tax on SiriusXM. At least that doesn't apply to non-listeners.
If that is true, that's hilarious. You are paying a fee to access copyrighted content that has been legally licensed yet somehow the recording industry is being cheated out of money?

Quote:
I keep CBS All Access mostly for American news not the shows since I don’t have cable.
If that's the only reason you have CBS All Access, I'd suggest watching TYT. They stream weekdays at 6:00pm ET on YouTube and it's free. It's not as polished as main stream media but their reporting and perspective is pretty good.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-10-15, 10:11 PM
Veteran

From the article:

Quote:
They say artists who write scores are seeing a large drop in revenue when their shows are streamed on platforms like Youtube and Netflix.

“Our members are seeing declines of up to 95 per cent when comparing 21st-century digital distribution revenue to the traditional 20th-century broadcast model,” SCGC president John Welsman told Global News
Suggestion: Write your contracts to state what you want to get paid when your work appears on streaming platforms. If no one is willing to pay that and can find lower-cost alternatives, maybe, just maybe, you're overvaluing your product?
emmy1500 and metalhawk like this.

--
Neil
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-10-16, 09:17 AM
Veteran

This isn't just a problem for screenwriters. It's happening to all artists. Streaming doesn't raise the same revenue streams that physical sales once did. Instead of paying $10-$15 per person for a visit to the movie theater or $20-$60 for a physical copy on disc, people are now paying $10-$15 per month for a movie channel or streaming service. With that they are streaming multiple titles, multiple time to the entire household. A family can pay $6 for a PPV movie instead of $60 for a theater visit. Even when revenue streams and profits for a title are reasonably high, less of that money is going to artists due to changes in payment formulas. Even worse, a lot of money just sits in escrow instead of being paid out to artists that have lower sales and little bargaining power to get paid. There needs to be a solution but it needs to come from the industry. Putting multiple surcharges on every streaming service and paying the money into industry slush funds is not the answer.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 2018-10-16, 10:43 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
A family can pay $6 for a PPV movie instead of $60 for a theater visit.
But they could always do this via places like Blockbuster. Most people didn't have any kind of substantial DVD libraries. Ticket sales have dropped, but not substantially (at least in the U.S.): https://www.the-numbers.com/market/

One of the things that really annoyed me from the article was this clueless observation:

Quote:
They say artists who write scores are seeing a large drop in revenue when their shows are streamed on platforms like Youtube and Netflix.

“Our members are seeing declines of up to 95 per cent when comparing 21st-century digital distribution revenue to the traditional 20th-century broadcast model,” SCGC president John Welsman told Global News.
Looking at American numbers, the "traditional 20th-century broadcast model" had three or four broadcast networks, a handful of cable networks, and a captive audience. Taking numbers from this https://qz.com/999827/the-end-of-pea...fully-be-nigh/ and making a WAG, you'd maybe have 150 scripted shows a year. Now you have about 500. If you want to include material on Youtube, as Welsman does, then maybe double that number. And the average audience rating per show has plunged accordingly. If Welsman thinks his members can charge the same rate whether a show pulls in 100,000 viewers or 10 million, then he's dreaming.

--
Neil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in