YouTube Music and YouTube Premium Launch in Canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 2018-06-18, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

YouTube Music and YouTube Premium Launch in Canada

Starting today, YouTube Music is available to everyone in Canada. YouTube Music is a new music streaming service built on top of all the music on YouTube that you can't find anywhere else - personalized & all simply organized in one place.

YouTube Music Premium - $9.99 per month
Ad-free music
Listen in the background
Downloads

YouTube Premium - $11.99 per month
Includes the above
Ad-free video
Play in the background
Downloads
All YouTube Originals

Here's how it all comes together:
  1. It's ALL here. Not just music videos, but official albums, singles, remixes, live performances, covers and hard-to-find music you can only get on YouTube.
  2. Recommendations built for you.
  3. Thousands of playlists across any genre, mood or activity.
  4. Smart search so we'll find the song, even if you can't remember what it's called.
  5. The hottest videos.
  6. Ad-free listening, downloads and more.
For a limited time, get three months free of YouTube Music Premium ($9.99 per month after, $14.99 per month for a Family Plan)*.

Current Google Play Music subscribers in Canada will automatically receive access to YouTube Music Premium at their current price as it becomes available there. Nothing is changing with Google Play Music - you'll still be able to access all of your purchased music, uploads and playlists in Google Play Music just like always.

YouTube Premium also launches today
Starting today, YouTube Premium (formerly YouTube Red) will also be available in Canada, providing members with the benefits of Music Premium, plus ad-free, background, and downloads across all of YouTube. YouTube Premium members also get access to the full slate of YouTube Originals shows and movies including the hit series Cobra Kai, Impulse, F2 Finding Football and The Sidemen Show. For a limited time, get three months free of YouTube Premium ($11.99 per month after, $17.99 per month for a Family Plan)*.

*Price may be higher in the iOS App Store.

YouTube Canada News Release

Links
www.youtube.com/premium
http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...music&hl=en_US
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/youtu...017492454?mt=8
music.youtube.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 2018-07-20, 02:59 PM

I assume that downloads will only apply to PC/computers? I watch YouTube almost exclusively on my 4k LG app, xbox one app (to the the LG), and occasionally on my iPad. And even on my supposed 1Gbit Rogers cable I can never stream 4k videos from Youtube on the LG via either method. I also don't get commercials. I wonder what the breakdown of devices to % videos streamed is?

Jethro - LG OLED65C7P, NB 3.0, Yam HTR6190, Polk, Harmony 680, Xbox One X
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 2018-07-21, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

@Joxer I think the download feature is mainly intended for mobile devices that are frequently out of range of Wi-Fi. The Android app on my tablet has the download option as explained in the Download Help, but I didn't see a download option when accessing YouTube through the browser on my PC.

I had to agree to get YouTube Premium before I could actually download the video (which I didn't.)

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 2018-07-22, 09:42 AM
Veteran

They tarnished the original intended purpose of YouTube and turned it into a music streaming site to compete with the rest of the streaming sites possibly to increase revenue. I don't blame them cuz good things never last it was doomed to happen eventually.

They should have launched a new site under a new name for the streaming services and left YouTube alone for consumers to upload videos of themself having a picnic or what not. As much as I disagree with these changes no body cares cuz it's all about making money for the big 3 companies in the long run so our views will be ignored.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 2018-07-22, 04:05 PM
Veteran

YouTube users basically turned YouTube into a music streaming site by uploading videos. If I can't find a song on my paid music service, I just look on YouTube and a video is usually available. The music industry wants royalties for all those videos so a paid music service is the next logical step.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 2018-07-22, 05:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
They tarnished the original intended purpose of YouTube ....
So YouTube should go back to being a video dating website Paolo? Tongue in cheek. But the point is that it evolves based on use demand which is why it never made it with the "original intended purpose" of being a video dating website.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 2018-07-22, 07:54 PM

I download most of my music from YouTube. 90% is amateur videos of jazz band busking or in jazz clubs.
I hope they don't make that use into a paid service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 2018-07-23, 10:28 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
YouTube users basically turned YouTube into a music streaming site by uploading videos. If I can't find a song on my paid music service, I just look on YouTube and a video is usually available. The music industry wants royalties for all those videos so a paid music service is the next logical step.
Yes I am aware of that. I have a wife and she plays videos over and over on youtube all the time, you should see her cell phone data bill. She is using youtube to stream her song to her phone but because its a video site it streams unnecessary video information too, but she does not care about the video , nor do all her friends, she just wants the audio but because of that extra data usage from streaming the videos her data has trippled, but her sister who uses a music streaming only site like spotify or what not, streams the same song, but uses a whole lot less data because the lack of video. So yes I get it that people do that to circumvent it, but in the end, they are paying the cost of it in their data consumption. I see why youtube did this and I get why they did it I already stated that.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 2018-07-24, 12:16 AM
Veteran

I think they're just adding confusion with the overlap between Google Play Music and YouTube Music Premium. I have the former and hence implicitly the later. But why would I use one vs the other. After all, almost every track in Google Play Music now has a YouTube logo and link in the centre of the cover art.

I guess it's just a transition period and they'll eventually retire Google Play Music.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 2018-07-24, 11:23 AM
Veteran

I actually like google play music. I actually still BUY my songs on there and yes I am still one of the people who "BUY" songs instead of stream them over and over. I do a lot of things where constant cellular and data connectivity is not always possible and owning my favourite songs and having them on all my devices is a big benefit to me. When I travel to the states I prefer NOT to use my data and want to listen to my music offline. Plus no body tells you this but my friend learned this the hard way, some songs he likes on youtube music actually got pulled off so yeah he cant listen to his favourite songs no more he has to listen to the rest of his playlists without some of his favourite songs, when you own a song its there FOREVER it will never get pulled even if the artist commits a hanus crime and shoots people or does a mass killing
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 2018-07-24, 12:22 PM
Veteran

Don't Google Play Music and YouTube Music Premium allow downloading songs, albums and playlists for offline playback? The music service I use does. It also plays back cached songs offline whether I manually downloaded them or not. I never buy songs from a music service. I've seen too many of them go out of business and make even purchased music unplayable. If it's not DRM free and playable with any music player, I don't buy it.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 2018-07-24, 04:47 PM

GPM will be phased out and all its features will be integrated into YTM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 2018-07-24, 09:08 PM

Yes, you can download music to your device so you don't use up cell data. And music you buy is DRM free.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 2018-07-24, 11:38 PM
Veteran

You have the option to download playlists for offline listening (and can specify the quality). Not individual songs -> you have to add them to a playlist to download.

But I think what Paolo meant at the end was that if the song is pulled from the service's catalog then it will automatically disappear from both the playlist and the download.

Also there's an old library uploader for Google Play Music so you can buy from anywhere else (i.e. iTunes) and if it's DRM free, download from that provider and then upload to your GPM library.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 2018-07-25, 01:31 AM
Veteran

Those are nice features. I've seen songs, albums and artists disappear from a music service and there are a lot of gaps in most services, especially in Canada. I own quite a few songs and artists on CD that are not on music services. I've seen 3 or 4 music services disappear in the past 15 years due to withdrawing from the Canadian market, being bought out by a company that doesn't serve Canada or shutting down. Some of the scenarios were so convoluted it's difficult to make an accurate count.

I've considered uploading music to services but not sure how they would treat CDs. The music industry seems to think that ripping music from CDs is illegal even if I own them. There is also a time issue. It took months to rip the music from owned CDs and if I have to insert all the CDs into a computer to upload them it would take months more. Then what happens if I change music services? I'm certainly not buying them again, especially if they are MP3s. All my music is in lossless format from CD. At $1 a song it would cost well over $10,000.

Tags
music streaming , youtube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in