'CBS All Access' launched in Canada - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 92 (permalink) Old 2018-10-29, 08:16 PM

CBS All Access announced today that its upcoming psychological thriller series, TELL ME A STORY, will launch on its service in Canada on Wednesday, Oct. 31. Following premiere week, new episodes of TELL ME A STORY's 10-episode first season will be available on demand weekly on Thursdays exclusively for CBS All Access subscribers in Canada, mirroring the series' roll-out in the U.S.

In addition to TELL ME A STORY, CBS All Access original series available in Canada include season one of THE GOOD FIGHT, STRANGE ANGEL and comedy series NO ACTIVITY, with more to be announced.

Full Press Release

----

CBS All Access today announced the second season renewal of its original series STRANGE ANGEL. (U.S. Press Release)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 92 (permalink) Old 2018-10-31, 02:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
The problem with retro shows is that a lot of them are shot in 4:3 480i (SDTV) format which is not suitable for HDTV.
Some of the 1970s/1980s stuff that was shot on video - sure. But a lot of earlier stuff, and even a fare amount of 1970s/1980s material was shot on film.

I took a peek at some of the CHCH programming - and Lost in Space, Mission Impossible, Hogans Heros, and I Love Lucy all looked superb, and were clearly recent 4:3 HD transfers! Far better picture than in the 1950s and 1960s. Two or three of those are surely the same stock of stuff that CBS All Access is showing. As is The Twilight Zone I assume, which looks fantastic on Space currently as B&W 4:3!

Coincidentally, I noticed M*A*S*H broadcasting around midnight on TLN and to my surprise, it was a 16:9 HD image. (I'm not sure how CHCH is broadcasting it). History was broadcasting it until relatively recently, and I'm pretty sure they were 4:3 SD transfers, from the odd episode or two I watched a bit of.

I dug a little, and apparently the 16:9 HD transfers for M*A*S*H first appeared on Hulu in the USA earlier this year.

I know some people despise 16:9 versions of 4:3 programs - but to be honest, M*A*S*H looked superb last night. They haven't just trimmed the top and bottom, but they've gone back to the originals and rescanned, picking up more material on the sides, and also reframing it, so sometimes they pick up more on the bottom, and sometimes they pick up more on the top. So it doesn't look unnaturally zoomed in - at least to my eyes.

If it's done properly, I'm quite fine with it. The Star Trek TOS episodes that Space aired a couple of years ago (perhaps they still do) were also 16:9 versions, and I thought looked pretty good too.

And if it brings in more viewers - why not. Purists can surely find VHS copies of the scratchy originals, where all the colours have started to fade, if they want to relive just how bad 1970s picture quality was.
post #63 of 92 (permalink) Old 2018-10-31, 03:04 PM
Veteran

I did mention that some shows shot on film have been remastered in HDTV format. The process can be quite labour intensive and expensive. A good remaster requires that every scene must be examined and the best frame chosen. That's not always easy since many shows were originally shot for 4:3 format by the producers. A bad remaster will sometimes include unwanted items in the frame.
nfitz likes this.

post #64 of 92 (permalink) Old 2018-10-31, 08:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
I did mention that some shows shot on film have been remastered in HDTV format. The process can be quite labour intensive and expensive. A good remaster requires that every scene must be examined and the best frame chosen. That's not always easy since many shows were originally shot for 4:3 format by the producers. A bad remaster will sometimes include unwanted items in the frame.
Agreed. A lot less work to just take the old master, and use a 4:3 frame so nothing much gets added or taken away.

But if there's a budget (and if M*A*S*H and Star Trek don't have budget who does!) done properly in 16:9 does look very good.

Just checked now, and it is 16:9 HD on CHCH. I think they've gone back to the negatives, as it's pretty clear from looking at the very crisp credits that they've all been redone - not just the top and tails, but also as the episode starts.

And it just looks right in 16:9. I can't put my finger on it, but Seinfeld in 16:9 often seems to look wrongish. Perhaps not as much work was done? Which is silly, as Seinfeld also should have the budget.
post #65 of 92 (permalink) Old 2018-12-17, 10:10 PM

CBS All Access today announced the second-season renewal of its original series TELL ME A STORY. (U.S. Press Release)
post #66 of 92 (permalink) Old 2019-01-05, 09:29 PM

CBS All Access has cancelled One Dollar after one season. (Deadline)
post #67 of 92 (permalink) Old 2019-03-05, 09:59 AM

post #68 of 92 (permalink) Old 2019-04-08, 01:45 PM
Veteran

I was wondering if the Twilight Zone would be what makes me finally get CBS All Access Canada.

But turns out it started airing last Thursday in Canada on CITY TV. I didn't even see any ads for it in the usual places (bus shelters ... )

And from what I can see, it isn't even available on CBS All Access Canada.

An interesting business model indeed for Canada ...
post #69 of 92 (permalink) Old 2019-04-08, 01:59 PM

Citytv was running a lot of promos for the show on their channel. I saw it numerous times and I always skip ads.

CBS All Access tends to sell the Canadian rights to their original content, such as The Good Fight on W Network or Star Trek: Discovery on Space and Crave. If they can't sell the rights, then the series ends up on CBS All Access Canada. The Canadian service seems to be designed to monetize their old CBS shows.
post #70 of 92 (permalink) Old 2019-04-08, 02:02 PM
Veteran

That's similar to what happened with Star Trek Discovery which is on Space and Fibe streaming in Canada. I'd guess it's more profitable to sell the rights to Canadian networks than it is to air them on their own stations or services.
post #71 of 92 (permalink) Old 2019-04-08, 03:50 PM

Being filmed in Canada might also give these shows broadcast rights/privileges here... in return for paying some of the production costs or to garner production tax credits.
post #72 of 92 (permalink) Old 2019-04-08, 09:35 PM
Veteran

If it's produced by a Canadian company and qualifies as Cancon I could see that. I don't think those shows qualify. If they are co-produced by a Canadian broadcaster and CBS I could see that happening as well. Haven't checked the credits closely to see if that is the case but I haven't noticed anything to indicate it.
post #73 of 92 (permalink) Old 2019-04-09, 11:09 AM
Veteran

According to Wikipedia, The Twilight Zone was filmed in Canada. You'd have to dig through the credits to see how many other Cancon points it garnered for lead actors, director, producer, etc.
post #74 of 92 (permalink) Old 2019-04-09, 11:49 AM
Veteran

Being filmed in Canada is a prerequisite but otherwise means very little for Cancon status. Just having a US producer would disqualify it. The stars, writers and other high level staff would need to be almost all Canadian to qualify.
post #75 of 92 (permalink) Old 2019-04-18, 01:49 PM

Tags
cbs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in