'CBS All Access' launched in Canada - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 94 (permalink) Old 2018-08-05, 10:34 AM
Veteran

It probably costs CBS next to nothing to operate All Access Canada. Meanwhile, they can slowly build the brand and customer base. CTV now has deep pockets to pay for the rights to CBS shows and they probably pay more than CBS would make from their service. That may change and when it does, CBS All Access Canada will be there to take up the slack.

The idea of non-exclusive rights is an interesting one. That would make the shows less valuable to broadcasters. CBS will have to weigh that against the return of selling exclusive rights or retaining exclusive rights. They may do this on a show by show basis. I expect CBS will keep exclusive rights for at least a few shows in order to entice Canadians to subscribe, if only to binge watch one show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 94 (permalink) Old 2018-08-05, 12:39 PM

Its a fact that to sell subscriptions to a streaming service like All Access you need original content on your platform. Denying their original content to their Canadian service wont fare well for them.
post #48 of 94 (permalink) Old 2018-08-06, 05:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbar View Post
Its a fact that to sell subscriptions to a streaming service like All Access you need original content on your platform. Denying their original content to their Canadian service wont fare well for them.
Tell that Netflix Canada? US Netflix have shows not available on Netflix Canada because either Crave TV or another Canadian BDU has rights to them.

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive

post #49 of 94 (permalink) Old 2018-08-06, 05:53 PM

All Netflix Original shows are on Netflix Canada - there are differences in their rights purchased movies and/or series where yes Netflix US has shows Canada doesn't. Netflix Canada has shows that the US doesn't. Humbar was talking about content that either Netflix, Amazon, All Access produce themselves.

LONSat
post #50 of 94 (permalink) Old 2018-08-06, 09:03 PM
Veteran

Having perpetual rights to original content is the reason Netflix is spending so much on their own original content. They spent $6 billion in 2017 and have budgeted $12 billion for 2018. They saw the writing on the wall as more and more studios and broadcasters are launching their own OTT services and pulling their content from other services. Disney is probably the biggest. It is pulling all of its content from Netflix in 2019. Disney owns the Star Wars and Marvel movies that are currently on Netflix. CBS will probably be retaining rights to more shows for use with CBS All Access.
post #51 of 94 (permalink) Old 2018-08-07, 10:46 AM

When you produce your own content, you own the rights globally. I read an article the other day comparing Netflix Canada and U.S., and while some of the content is different the numbers of titles available are very close to each other. I beleive the article said Netlix U.S. has 5500 titles, while Canada has 5000 titles or in that range. Not much difference. Sure some titles on both sides of the border might be requested and not available but that's the way it goes. My mother in law loves Downton Abbey, and she live in the U.S. and its only available on Netflix Canada. I guess the grass is not always greener.
post #52 of 94 (permalink) Old 2018-08-21, 01:47 PM

CBS All Access announced today that its latest original series, ONE DOLLAR, will launch on its service in Canada on Thursday, August 30. New episodes of ONE DOLLAR's 10-episode season will be available on demand weekly on Thursdays, exclusively for CBS All Access subscribers in Canada, mirroring the series' roll-out in the U.S.

Full press release
post #53 of 94 (permalink) Old 2018-09-26, 11:44 AM

CBS All Access announced that all eight episodes of the second season of its original comedy series NO ACTIVITY will be available to stream beginning Thursday, Nov. 22. NO ACTIVITY's second season debut marks the first time CBS All Access has released an entire season of an original series at once. (Source) Season 1 is available in Canada.
post #54 of 94 (permalink) Old 2018-10-25, 01:59 PM
post #55 of 94 (permalink) Old 2018-10-27, 07:22 PM
Veteran

Ah, I see that you can now see what shows CBS All Access has in Canada without subscribing!

https://www.cbsallaccess.ca/shows/
post #56 of 94 (permalink) Old 2018-10-27, 09:47 PM
Veteran

We can see what shows they have but not which seasons or episodes. When I looked on the US site it often had just 1 or 2 recent seasons of shows that aired for many more seasons. The selection was very sparse. The US CBS All Access claims to have thousands of episodes but the bulk of what is available are story segments from daily news shows. They won't even show Canadians what they have before signing up so I have no reason to think the Canadian service is any better. I don't need CBS All Access to see recent shows. I've already seen those on regular TV. The couple of vintage shows they list have been aired recently as well.
nfitz likes this.
post #57 of 94 (permalink) Old 2018-10-29, 01:44 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
The couple of vintage shows they list have been aired recently as well.
Well how about that - CHCH is airing Mission Impossible! I guess I'm not home at 2 pm on a weekday.

Gosh, the CHCH daytime schedule has gone VERY retro. Hogan's Heros. Soap. Taxi. Lost in Space. I don't think some of this stuff has aired in a long time in Canada. I'd watch that channel more if they aired some of this stuff in the evening!
post #58 of 94 (permalink) Old 2018-10-29, 03:15 PM
Veteran

Why not record them on a PVR?
post #59 of 94 (permalink) Old 2018-10-29, 04:00 PM
Veteran

Will a couple. But sometimes you are just flicking through channels and get distracted by something. Not as often as in the pre-PVR days ...

I'm surprised the lack of retro material available, compared to when I'm in the USA, when there always seems to be a local channel (or three) airing golden oldies. I assumed it just wasn't available to purchase here ...
post #60 of 94 (permalink) Old 2018-10-29, 04:39 PM
Veteran

The problem with retro shows is that a lot of them are shot in 4:3 480i (SDTV) format which is not suitable for HDTV. Many US OTA broadcasters have SDTV sub-channels so legacy shows are a perfect fit. Many Canadian broadcasters would rather walk away from OTA broadcasting so they cannot be bothered licensing SDTV shows or creating sub-channels. Some of the higher budget legacy shows were shot on film and have been transferred to HDTV format. The original Star Trek is a well known example.

Tags
cbs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in