'CBS All Access' launched in Canada - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 81 (permalink) Old 2018-05-22, 09:01 PM
Veteran

I have difficulty believing that CBS All Access for Canada wasn't in the works when Star Trek rights were sold to Bell. I believe that rights deal was announced in 2017. It's more likely that Bell just outbid everyone else, including CBS All Access (internally) and Netflix. Bell is very aggressive in obtaining rights for US content and passes the costs onto Canadian consumers. Haven't seen any recent stats but they are likely, by far, the largest owner of specialty and broadcast channels in Canada. Their stake in TMN gives them a huge position in premium content from HBO, Showtime, Starz and movie studio content. They also have the only significant Canadian owned OTT service in CraveTV. Bell is also aggressively acquiring smaller interests in broadcast and related technologies. Their goal for the past decade appears to be to become the dominant broadcaster in Canada and to influence broadcasting policy in their favour. So far, they seem to be succeeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 81 (permalink) Old 2018-05-26, 08:16 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
@nfitz CBS sold the international rights to all the Star Trek series. Bell Media bought the exclusive Canadian rights for SPACE, CraveTV and a couple of French channels; Netflix bought the exclusive rights for 188 other countries (outside the U.S. and Canada.)
Precisely! In the USA they used it for bait and content for the streaming service. But for Canada, they were more interested in monetizing.

And amazingly, although they didn't give Bell exclusivity on any of the old series - as Netflix also has them - they amazingly didn't keep rights for themselves.

I'm not surprised there's some old contracts that continue, and don't give CBS at least rights to also have it. But I'm amazed that for new material like Star Trek Discovery, that they are more interested in the immediate monetization, than growing the streaming service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticky View Post
You're wrong on this. CBS have existing contracts in place — contracts that were signed well before CBSAA was even a thought — they have to honour.
If I was wrong about this, then CBSAA would have the same number of exclusive series in Canada as they do in the USA.

Maybe I'm wrong. There are 2 "originals" listed in Canada. "The Good Fight" and "No Activity". Are there only 2 originals currently listed in the USA?

I'll certainly be dropping the channel before I have to pay.
post #33 of 81 (permalink) Old 2018-05-26, 11:35 PM

@nfitz I didn't realize that Netflix has streaming rights in the U.S. and Canada for the old series. I just reread the original press release from July 18, 2016 and I guess I misinterpreted it:
Star Trek International Broadcasters Set for New Star Trek Series

Quote:
Precisely! In the USA they used it for bait and content for the streaming service. But for Canada, they were more interested in monetizing.
CBSAA will sink or swim based on their U.S. operations. Canada is just a little extra gravy (sorry for the mixed metaphor .) Here's my rationale for why they make more money this way (linear TV isn't dead yet.)
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/29-w...ml#post3042226

Quote:
CBSAA would have the same number of exclusive series in Canada as they do in the USA.
Each series in each country has its own contract. For example, they mentioned that all past seasons of ELEMENTARY are available in Canada, but they only have the current season in the U.S.

Quote:
There are 2 "originals" listed in Canada. "The Good Fight" and "No Activity". Are there only 2 originals currently listed in the USA?
There's not much more in the U.S.

After Trek 14 Episodes
Big Brother: Over the Top 11 Episodes
The Good Fight 22 Episodes Season 2 Now Streaming
Star Trek: Discovery 15 Episodes
No Activity 8 Episodes
Strange Angel 2 Clips Premieres June 14
Source: https://www.cbs.com/shows/originals/

I don't know what they will do with Strange Angel in Canada. Also, only season 1 of The Good Fight is streaming in Canada. Season 2 is airing on linear TV - W Network.

post #34 of 81 (permalink) Old 2018-05-26, 11:56 PM
Veteran

That's why CBS All Access is such a misleading name. How do they rationalize using it? It should be named 'CBS Some Access' in the US and 'CBS Even Less Access' in Canada. They even seem to state misleading numbers for the amount of content available. Several thousand of the "episodes" appear to be news segments from longer shows.
nfitz likes this.
post #35 of 81 (permalink) Old 2018-05-27, 04:02 PM

As the contents are not readily available on its home page for non-subscribers, I have a question. Is there anything on CBS All Access Canada that is not available on network TV?
post #36 of 81 (permalink) Old 2018-05-27, 08:12 PM
Veteran

No Android TV app is a deal breaker for me since that's what I'd use (wouldn't mind watching NCIS LA from the beginning on my Shield TV)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #37 of 81 (permalink) Old 2018-05-28, 01:23 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercules130 View Post
Is there anything on CBS All Access Canada that is not available on network TV?
There's older material - and cleaned up quite nicely too. A couple of seasons of Love Boat. Most of Mission Impossible from the 1960s. A few other series too.

But new stuff ... not enough to justify paying $.
post #38 of 81 (permalink) Old 2018-05-28, 09:15 AM
Veteran

I am pretty sure as agreements expire there will be more content on CBS All Access.
post #39 of 81 (permalink) Old 2018-05-28, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercules130 View Post
As the contents are not readily available on its home page for non-subscribers, I have a question. Is there anything on CBS All Access Canada that is not available on network TV?
Based on previous posts, No Activity is the only series that I'm aware of that has never been shown on a U.S. or Canadian network or specialty channel. Strange Angel is another CBSAA original launching June 14 in the U.S. I haven't heard that it will air on linear TV in Canada, so it will probably be on CBSAA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11 View Post
No Android TV app is a deal breaker for me since that's what I'd use (wouldn't mind watching NCIS LA from the beginning on my Shield TV)
CBSAA supports Android TV in the U.S. and they're adding more devices to Canada (They recently added Roku.)
post #40 of 81 (permalink) Old 2018-06-06, 09:54 AM

The Twilight Zone reboot is being developed by CBS All Access for midseason. I saw that Citytv got the first run rights in Canada. I expect that CBS All Access will stream it after the season is over like they did for The Good Fight, which Corus confirmed will be on W Network for season 3.
post #41 of 81 (permalink) Old 2018-06-13, 01:35 PM

Highlights from today's press release - I guess none of the Canadian networks wanted to buy it.

Original Series "Strange Angel" To Launch On CBS All Access In Canada On Thursday, June 14

CBS All Access announced today that its latest original drama series, STRANGE ANGEL, will launch on its service in Canada on Thursday, June 14. New episodes of STRANGE ANGEL's 10-episode first season will be available on demand weekly on Thursdays exclusively for CBS All Access subscribers in Canada, mirroring the series' roll-out in the U.S.

In addition to STRANGE ANGEL, CBS All Access original series available in Canada include season one of THE GOOD FIGHT and comedy series NO ACTIVITY, with more to be announced.
post #42 of 81 (permalink) Old 2018-07-05, 11:42 AM

CBS All Access is now available on Google's smart TV platform Android TV, including all Sony Android TVs, in Canada.

Full Press Release

The Canadian Help only mentions Sony TVs and the Mi Box, but the U.S. Help has a larger list which should also work, including NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV.

https://cbsi.secure.force.com/CBSi/a...CBS-All-Access
post #43 of 81 (permalink) Old 2018-08-04, 07:26 PM

Patrick Stewart is set to headline a new Star Trek series for CBS All Access, reprising his iconic Next Generation character, Captain Jean-Luc Picard. (Source)

No mention of what will happen to the Canadian rights.
post #44 of 81 (permalink) Old 2018-08-05, 08:59 AM

Because their Canadian catalog is light, it would make sense for them to keep the rights for All Access Canada to attract more subscriptions, but who knows.
post #45 of 81 (permalink) Old 2018-08-05, 09:23 AM
Veteran

Yes it would, but deciding factor could be CBS All Access subscriptions vs Space and Crave subscriptions in Canada. Financially most likely it would be a better choice to sell rights to Bell but then what is the point of starting streaming service and selling rights to another provider and not having it available on their own platform.

Another most likely option would be to have the show available on Bell platform but with no exclusive rights something that Amazon Prime has done with Bosch series.

Tags
cbs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in