Access to UK TV channels - BBC, ITV, Etc - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2018-01-14, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Access to UK TV channels - BBC, ITV, Etc

HI,

I am a newbee Brit and I spend 6 months a year in Courtenay Vancouver Island. Is there any way of getting my home UK TV channels when I am over? I have Telus internet but happy to explore a Satellite solution if it means I can get some home TV. I have heard about some oddball VPN setups but all seem flaky and I really want something that I can plug into my TV set maybe via a storage box of some sort.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2018-01-14, 08:03 PM
Veteran

If you are using Windows 10 on your computer, download the Film-On app and they have British over the air tv channels for free
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2018-01-14, 10:04 PM
Veteran

one word: Sling Box

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2018-01-15, 09:18 AM

There is no legal way to get UK channels in Canada
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2018-01-15, 09:29 AM

If you still live in the UK the rest of the year, you could try subscribing to SkyGo. It might require a VPN to work here though.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2018-01-15, 10:19 AM
Veteran

By the way Film-On Tv is perfectly legal.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2018-01-15, 01:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
There is no legal way to get UK channels in Canada
Yes there is, I just answered it, tho people do not want to do the work and want shortcuts.

To watch your English Television stations legally in another country, you NEED to have a VALID TV Subscription in Engliand with your English TV provider, and then you hook up a sling box, and you can watch your TV subscription LEGALLY here in Canada, from the SlingPlayer app or browser. The question was how to watch them here, and I answered it, if someone asks how to watch them WITHOUT PAYING FOR THE TV SUBSCRIPTION then that's another story and against the TOS on here.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2018-01-16, 09:15 AM

BBC and ITV are launching a streaming service in Canada. It is called BritBox.
I don’t know when it is going to go live, but they do have a website, BritBox.com.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2018-01-16, 02:16 PM

Too bad BritBox.com doesn't have Channel 4 or Channel 5 as partners - they have most of the programming I watch. Channel 4 has great doc series, Made In Chelsea, Undateables, First Dates, Location Location Location, and travel shows I enjoy. Channel 5 has three series of Big Brother a year that I enjoy more than the North American versions.

Most of the BBC shows I watch end up on TVO, and lately The Only Way is Essex and Ibiza Weekender are the only ITV shows I have been watching - but they are getting stale.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2018-02-14, 06:11 PM

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2018-02-14, 09:22 PM
Veteran

Nice collection of programming. Unfortunately, a lot of it has been played repeatedly on PBS, TVO and other stations. There are some notable omissions such as some of the better Channel 4 programs. I guess that's to be expected since so much popular British programming is licensed to Canadian broadcasters.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2018-02-15, 07:48 AM
h_s
Rookie

I use Getflix as my smart DNS/VPN for watching content from the UK and other countries for that matter. I set up itunes accounts for the US and UK and download the apps like iPlayer on my AppleTV. It gives pretty well full access to all the live BBC channels as well as the on demand as well. ITV hub is now on Apple TV as well as the MY5 app. There is also an app called TVPlayer that gives a bunch of the other live UK channels as well as a few American channels. The AppleTV 4 and new 4K models OS works like iOS devices with apps and switching between the different itunes accounts allows me to install apps from those particular countries app stores. I had a Roku which I got rid of after I got the newer apple tv as I found the interface much more customizable and smoother. There are occasionally amazing deals on smart DNS/VPNs on Bitsdujour and got the Getflix one with a lifetime account for a $30-$35. I actually bought 3 lifetime accounts to set up family members on their Apple TV's. It's set up on their routers so that they can watch BBC or whatever on their tablets as well. I have other VPNs but the Getflix one seems yo work nest for the BBC stuff.

I can post pictures of my screen if you'd like to see what I have on my apple tv
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2018-02-15, 09:27 AM

Not sure of the legality, but my son's brother in law teaches English in Japan. He and my son use a Sling Box so his kids can watch Canadian TV in English and/or French. His kids are perfectly fluent in both and the Sling Box gets a portion of the credit.

Rogers SA8300HD Thermaltake ST0005U WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX SA1840 ( x3 )
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2019-01-12, 10:56 AM

I was going to subscribe to britbox but now I see they stopped airing coronation street to bad they lost me as a customer
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2019-01-12, 11:21 AM

Coronation Street is available on CBC. If you don't get the linear channel, you can stream it for free going back about a month.

https://watch.cbc.ca/series/coronati...b-ba6bd55b7235

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in