CBC Gem Streaming Service - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 2018-12-17, 09:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclist44 View Post
I don't receive a Local CBC channel where I live. I only get CTV and Global. I can't get local news on either the CTV or Global app. I can go to the local on the local channels websites but the local news is usually a couple of days old.
You ain't missing much.
Gentleman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 2018-12-18, 10:41 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallmj View Post
If they come up with a Roku or FireTV app I'll give this a try. Otherwise...
There's hope for FireTV I'd think, given that that the French version is already available there (ICI TOU.TV). Given how much more stable Roku seems to be than Amazon Fire, I'd hope that appears too.
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 2019-01-12, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

CBC Music will livestream the tribute concert for Mike “Beard Guy” Taylor (Walk Off The Earth) at 4:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 13th on the free CBC Gem streaming service. Following the live event on Sunday, the concert will be available to stream anytime on demand on CBC Gem.

Full Press Release

----

The Canadian Paralympic Committee (CPC) and CBC/Radio-Canada, Canada’s Paralympic Network, announced the launch of the Paralympic Super Series, a package of Paralympic sport competitions that will be available as live streams via the CBC Gem app and cbcgem.ca, as well as on the CPC Facebook page, with select events available on the Radio-Canada Sports app and radio-canada.ca/sports.

Paralympic Super Series Schedule
*more events to be added in 2019

January 16-17, 2019: Para Alpine World Cup – Zagreb, Croatia
January 21-February 1, 2019: World Para Alpine Skiing Championships – Kranjska Gora, Slovenia and Sella Nevea, Italy
February 16-24, 2019: World Para Nordic Skiing Championships – Prince George, British Columbia
March 5-9, 2019: Para Alpine World Cup – Espot, Spain
March 11-15, 2019: Para Alpine World Cup – La Molina, Spain
March 18-21, 2019: Para Alpine World Cup Season Finale – Morzine, France

Full Press Release

post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 2019-01-13, 09:20 AM

I tried signing up for the GEM streaming service, but can't get it to play. Little wheel keeps turning and eventually get a message "not available in your area". I sent CBC an email will see what they say. Not much luck here with most streaming services here in southern MB, guess we're still in the dark ages here. I do get netflix to work but the picture quality is badly pixelated and just... bad.

SBGH @ 46', 10' C-band, & various home made projects...
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 2019-01-14, 03:25 PM
Veteran

I've noticed some streaming service won't play at all with low bandwidth. Personally, I get about 5 Mb/s using ADSL, and Netflix normally looks okay in HD, and all the service play - and that's a really low bandwidth. Though the picture certainly starts to degrade if others in the house are also streaming stuff.

What's your speed? I suspect it's too low, if you are seeing pixelating on Netflix.
post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 2019-02-19, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

The eight-episode Season 2 of True Dating Stories was added to the free CBC Gem streaming service on Feb. 8. (Press Release)
post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 2019-03-28, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

CBC announced on Twitter that the Hulu original series PEN15 would stream on GEM April 1.
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 2019-04-10, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

CBC Music Festival returns to Toronto’s RBC Echo Beach for its seventh year on Saturday, May 25, 2019. See the press release for ticket prices and performers.

Fans outside the Greater Toronto Area can still enjoy the day’s performances via the CBC Music Festival live stream on cbcmusic.ca and via CBC Music’s Facebook, Twitter and YouTube pages.
post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 2019-04-14, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

CBC Gem home screen refresh

As a result of this update, viewers using the CBC Gem apps for Android, iOS or Apple TV will need to update the free CBC Gem app in order to continue using the service.

----

CBC Gem will launch on Amazon Fire TV and Android TV on Monday, April 15. (Source)
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 2019-04-23, 12:52 PM

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia(Maestro whole home PVR with two terminals)
I noticed that CBC Gem is now on Amazon Fire TV, at least on the 4K stick.
nfitz likes this.
post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 2019-04-23, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Glad to hear that the Amazon Fire TV stick is working as announced. The CBC Gem app is also supported on Fire TV enabled Toshiba televisions, however Android TV says coming soon, so it must have been delayed.
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 2019-04-23, 01:42 PM
Veteran

Wish they'd fix audio streaming to Airplay-enabled speakers.

--
Neil
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 2019-04-25, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Canada’s games at the 2019 World Para Ice Hockey Championships will be available as live streams with English commentary via the free CBC Gem streaming service and the CPC Facebook page, and via the Radio-Canada Sports app and radio-canada.ca/sports. In addition, both the gold and bronze-medal games will be livestreamed. CBC Sports will also offer the streaming coverage at cbcsports.ca and via the CBC Sports app for iOS and Android devices. (CBC Press Release)
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 2019-04-26, 10:24 AM

Downloaded the Gem on Firestick. Works well. Quality is excellent. A lot of short commercials that pay the costs of the service unless you upgrade to paid premium service.
nfitz likes this.
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 2019-04-30, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Streaming This May on CBC Gem

NEW CBC GEM ORIGINAL CANADIAN SERIES:
• The 410 (Drama, 3x25, Mad Ruk Entertainment) – All episodes begin streaming Thursday, May 2
• Detention Adventure (Tween action-adventure, 10x11, LoCo Motion Pictures and Broken Compass Films) – All episodes begin streaming Friday, May 3
• I Ship It (10x11, PRODUCTION) – Seasons 1 & 2 begin streaming Friday, May 10
• The Ninth (Comedy, 8x10, The Artcraft Zoo) – All episodes begin streaming Thursday, May 16
• The Mile Enders (Comedy, 4x20, Laurus Productions Inc.) – All episodes of Season 2 begin streaming Friday, May 24

ASIAN HERITAGE MONTH COLLECTION
• The Misadventures of Romesh Ranganathan (Travel, 4x60, Rumpus Media, UK) – All episodes begin streaming Friday, May 3
• Nadiya's Asian Odyssey (Travel/Lifestyle, 2x60, Wall to Wall, UK) – All episodes begin streaming Friday, May 3
• Nadiya's Family Favourites (Lifestyle/Food, 8x30, Hungry Gap Productions, UK) – All episodes begin streaming Friday, May 3
• The Problem with Apu (documentary, duration, Marobru/Avalon, USA) – Starts streaming Friday, May 3

ACCLAIMED TITLES FROM AROUND THE WORLD
• Kiri (4x60, The Forge, UK) – All episodes start streaming Friday, May 3
• On the Ropes (4x60, Lingo Pictures, Australia) ) – All episodes start streaming Friday, May 3
• Back in Time for Dinner (6x60, Wall to Wall, UK) ) – All episodes start streaming Friday, May 10
• Further Back in Time for Dinner (6x60, Wall to Wall, UK) ) – All episodes start streaming Friday, May 10

DOCUMENTARY & ARTS
• The Move (8x5) – All episodes of Season 2 begin streaming Monday, April 29
• Take Me To Prom (21 Minutes) – starts streaming Wednesday, May 1 (premiering day-and-date with 2019 Hot Docs Festival)
• MINDING THE GAP (Kartemquin Films, USA) – Starts streaming Friday, May 3
• Dream Boxer (15 minutes) – Starts streaming Friday, May 10 (and at cbc.ca/cbcshortdocs)

CANADIAN FEATURE FILMS
• WEREWOLF (Grassfire Films, 2016) – Starts streaming Friday, May 3
• MODRA (pUNK FILMS, 2010) – Starts streaming Friday, May 10
• HOME AGAIN (Hungry Eyes Film & Television, 2012) – Starts streaming Friday, May 16
• FUBAR 2: BALLS TO THE WALL (FU2 Productions, 2010) – Starts streaming Friday, May 16
• TAKE THIS WALTZ (Joe's Daughter, 2011) – Starts streaming Friday, May 31

THE BEST OF CBC
• Past and current seasons of CBC series, including new Canadian drama hit CORONER, family drama NORTHERN RESCUE, original legal drama DIGGSTOWN, limited drama series UNSPEAKABLE; acclaimed comedies KIM’S CONVENIENCE, BARONESS VON SKETCH SHOW and SCHITT’S CREEK; crowd-pleasing dramas MURDOCH MYSTERIES, ANNE WITH AN E and HEARTLAND; and classic CBC hits like THE KIDS IN THE HALL and BEING ERICA.

COMING IN JUNE
• Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver’s JAMIE’S 30 MINUTE MEALS
• Season 6 of Emmy-winning sketch comedy series PORTLANDIA created, written by and starring Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein
• Season 2 of Canadian comedy anthology series SAVE ME
• Special collections: Indigenous History Month and Pride

Tags
cbc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in