Netflix announces Movies/Shows available to download - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-11-30, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Netflix announces Movies/Shows available to download

I don't know what the limitations are yet.

Only certain shows, I have found a number so far.

I think it only allows download to portable devices (not confirmed). And I doubt you could stream to Chromecast - maybe Airplay.

But this would be great for planes, subways etc.

I downloaded an episode of Suits (45min) and it was 195MB so not super highdef but probably ok for tablet.

Actually I am finding quite a bit of content
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-11-30, 07:53 PM

Tried it out this afternoon, and found that it worked very smoothly. Lots of selections (films and TV) to download, with more to follow. Downloaded a number of shows to my Asus 7" tablet and was able to use Chromecast to test stream it on a big screen telly. This will be very useful for me, even if the quality is not HD. I have Shaw high speed Internet in one location (Richmond, BC) and appallingly low speed (3.0 mbs, the highest available) with Telus at another (Galiano Island). Makes it easy to "stock up" on video using the broadband connection, then enjoy the programming later without having to connect to the Internet on the island, where I also have Chromecast.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-11-30, 08:51 PM
Veteran

I'm disappointed it won't work with a laptop. I'll see if I can get it working with my hardware.

I've got:
- android phone and tablet
- Ipad
- PS3 and PS4 both with Plex

Hopefully, I can download to one of the devices and stream through one of the consoles. If anyone has advice for me, I'm all ears. This would be a great partial solution to my rural bandwidth issue.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-12-01, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whataview View Post
Tried it out this afternoon, and found that it worked very smoothly. Lots of selections (films and TV) to download, with more to follow. Downloaded a number of shows to my Asus 7" tablet and was able to use Chromecast to test stream it on a big screen telly. This will be very useful for me, even if the quality is not HD. I have Shaw high speed Internet in one location (Richmond, BC) and appallingly low speed (3.0 mbs, the highest available) with Telus at another (Galiano Island). Makes it easy to "stock up" on video using the broadband connection, then enjoy the programming later without having to connect to the Internet on the island, where I also have Chromecast.
Hey - when you tested with chromecast, how did you make sure you were not streaming from the internet. If chromecast really works, that would be great
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-12-01, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

My phone works, but for some reason my MIPad I got from AliBaba or some Chinese store, will not work. Need to do some more investigating.

I did uninstall and reinstall Netflix on the tablet.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-12-01, 02:56 PM

smp01, you may well have a valid point there about the Chromecast connecting to the Internet rather than actually casting from my Android tablet. Will have to play around with it once I return to the island... Perhaps my initial response was too good to be true!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-12-01, 04:47 PM

Works well on both my Samsung phone and tablet, but will only save shows to the internal storage and not to the SD card, so rather large limitation on space. Hope that option gets added

I have a photographic memory, trouble is most times the lens cap is on.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-12-01, 10:40 PM

First thing to check for the MIPad is the operating system version. Netflix's help FAQ on Downloading says that IOS 8.0 or later or Android 4.4.2 or later is the requirement. I have the same situation with my Android phone working but not my older Android tablet due to it having Android 4.1.2.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-12-01, 10:59 PM

^^^^ Thanks for the info. Currently I mostly watch Netflix on my Roku Premiere Plus, so I haven't downloaded the Netflix app just yet. My tablet runs IOS 10.1.1 currently. Guess I'll have to hook up my Apple TV when I get around to it and Air Play any titles I might download in the future.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2016-12-02, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
First thing to check for the MIPad is the operating system version. Netflix's help FAQ on Downloading says that IOS 8.0 or later or Android 4.4.2 or later is the requirement. I have the same situation with my Android phone working but not my older Android tablet due to it having Android 4.1.2.
Ya - the MIPad is android 4.4.4 (kitkat?) So more work needs to be done.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-07-10, 01:59 PM

New feature: Smart Downloads will delete a downloaded episode when you finish watching it and then automatically download the next episode.

Smart Downloads is available on Android phones and tablets running the latest version of the Netflix app. The Smart Downloads feature only turns on when you're connected to Wi-Fi, so your data plan will never be used, and it won't impact your device storage, because it will always delete the last watched episode before downloading the next one.

More help.

I'm not sure if this is available worldwide or just in the U.S.
Jase88 likes this.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-01-11, 09:30 AM

To be quite honest i would never get rid of Netflix because to buy some of the movies and shows on there would cost far too much but I find that lately the movies I did watch on there are being pulled a lot and I really loved the convenience of them being on there. I’m kind of forced to buy them if I still want to watch them as I’m a Netflix on TV kind of guy so I don’t really download. I watch everything on my Roku...but do you guys notice the service going up in price and a lot being taken away??? I wish this could be improved on because it kind of irks me. I understand some things getting pulled but they pulled a lot of stuff.

Last edited by wmjfoley85; 2019-01-11 at 10:13 AM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-01-11, 09:40 AM

The price is going up because they were losing money for years in order to establish market dominance.
Once they hit peak subscribers, they started raising the price.
https://www.investopedia.com/insight...x-makes-money/
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ne...als-2018-04-16

That being said, Netflix is pouring more money into Canadian TV/film production than I see from CTV or Global. (About $500 million by 2022)

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...-for-canadian/

At $14/ month it is still a better deal than what you pay to go to 1 movie at the theatres a month.
And with the flexibility of sharing the account among my family, it a great deal! Try sharing a movie seat with everyone in your family for the price of 1 ticket.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-01-11, 09:58 AM

Yeah it's rare that I wouldn't be bothered at all with a price increase, but I love Netflix, and have only found the quality to be increasing. More then worth it to me.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

LG 50PJ550 / Samsung HW-D650s
Cisco 9865 PVR
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2019-01-11, 01:32 PM
Veteran

Netflix may stop account sharing.
https://www.esquire.com/uk/latest-ne...th-your-mates/

Last edited by bev fan; 2019-01-11 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in