Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Amazon Prime Video in Canada discussions.

Tags
amazon
129K views 436 replies 91 participants last post by  Exid0r 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#165 ·
The free shipping over $35 is fast enough for me. I can usually find something I need regularly to pad smaller purchases. The products usually arrive in 2 days. The last couple of purchases were next day. Unfortunately, the latest speedup in deliveries is due to Amazon hiring independent contractors who may be denied decent wages and benefits.

The million songs on Prime Music is not enough to keep me happy. Other services with several times that number are missing too many titles I want to hear. That's often due to artists withholding their catalog.

Even without the other benefits, $7.99 is a good monthly price for Prime video. I might subscribe for a month or two to see what is available. I wasn't going to pay $79 for a full year. The months around Prime Day and Black Friday might be a good time.

#166 ·
I agree with ExDilbert. I too thought that $79 was a bit too much, the way I use Amazon. I did, however, try the Prime for free for 30 days, and watched a bunch of stuff from Prime Video. $35 free shipping option was good for me too, in most cases, but unfortunately it does not apply to all items. With this new monthly subscription (and it was about time), I may want to try it out.

#167 ·
Here's the good news: The Prime Video app is now in the Roku Canada Channel store. I honestly was convinced this was never ever going to happen.

Here's the bad news: The content is the US library. Doesn't yet seem to be geo-specific. So I can't pick up on the movie that I was watching on another device since it's not in the American library. And similarly I'm presented with a bunch of US specific titles which when I try to play gives the standard "Service Area Restriction" error. Probably fine for Amazon originals I guess.

So is this just a day-1 glitch that they'll soon resolve.... heaven only knows considering how long it took to be added to the Canadian Channel Store.

#171 ·
It finally showed up on my Roku, and I had no idea why it wasn't there yesterday. It still isn't listed in the "just added" apps section of the Roku channel store, but was buried, several pages deep, in the Movies section.

I'm still not a subscriber, but I had been waiting for the Roku App before even considering it. Provided the content is better than it was when it first came out in Canada, I was thinking of springing for a subscription.

#172 ·
I had been using the Prime Video app on my Panasonic Viera TV to watch content, but it stopped working altogether a few weeks ago. Also gives me the geo-restricted message, for the very same shows that I can watch just fine using other viewing devices. I'm not using any VPN etc.

I sent an email to Amazon help desk, but they didn't even reply :(

#174 ·
Panasonic Viera TV to watch content
It probably due to the app on the TV. How old is the TV and does Panasonic still support it? What does Panasonic have to say about the issue? Lack of ongoing support for "smart" TVs makes the smart feature a bad deal in many cases. TVs with Android TV, Chromecast or Roku built in are probably the best bet for support. Even those will lose smart support eventually.

#175 ·
Thrilled to see Amazon on Roku. I've got an new Amazon FireStick too - but it's disappointing how frequently that thing crashes compared to the Roku. The Roku interface is better too.

If only CraveTV were on Roku, I could simply unplug the annoying Amazon FireStick for good ...

Works great on my Roku Ultra. Definitely the Canadian version. And I could go right to a show I was streaming on my phone weeks ago, and pick up exactly where I left off!

#177 ·
Curses! Got an email from Roku to say prime was now on Roku. I have a Prime subscription.
Turned the nearest TV, went to Roku, found Prime, added it to my list.

Went to Prime. "your Roku device is not compatible with Prime". Our Roku are the model 3500 sticks.
Went to Amazon and bought a new one. Will try next week.

I suppose Prime video has some 4K or HDR stuff in its message headers that our older Roku sticks don't respond to correctly...or something like that. I'd call that poor programming somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#178 ·
My Roku Streaming Stick + arrived and sees Prime and all the rest including some sort of pay per view things that I am not interested in. I would say it was a bit easier to use than the older version as well.

Whether I will ever watch Prime is another matter!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#179 ·
There's not too much movie wise on Prime Video. Maybe a small hand full of oldies and one or two newer movies that will appeal to most. (Meaning regardless of your taste you can probably find that much that appeals but not a lot more.)

But there are a bunch of TV series' worth checking out. Personally I'm very happy that they finally added the channel to the Canadian Roku store.

#180 ·
The cost of shipping is a big deal. For $79/year, Amazon Prime paid for itself for me. Sure, I can get a lot of items from China with free shipping, but that now takes about 2 months, so Amazon it is. Everything else is a bonus. But the only other thing I take advantage of is Prime video, waiting for the next season of The Grand Tour.

#185 ·
I've had prime for almost 2 years - last year was free because of a Telus promo if you bought an Echo. We have it split between us and my 3 grown daughters. There is stuff being ordered every single week each to their own shipping address. I have set up email forwards rules to send the info out. And I guess this was the intention of Prime. Make it free ship and Amazon will be the 1st goto destination for just about anything.

#186 ·
A lot of changes to Prime on their basic Fire Stick. A redesign of their initial page....a number of new app downloads and a search component. Even a heading for Alexa. Seems the change fits into the new voice activated Fire Stick to be released on October 31st replacing the current basic model. The changes were announced this morning when I had Alexa turn on Firestick downloaded yesterday. Also the picture is brighter ….at least on our TV.

#187 ·
Hi,
any comments on the video quality? I am watching prime on my ROKU tv and I must say I am somewhat disapointed by the global quality, specially when I compare with Netlfix. When I watch a show like the Man in the High castle which has a lot of dark / night scenes, the color banding is terrible and looks like low resolution. Is there a way / hidden menu to show the bitrate? Thanks

#188 ·
I have no issues with the video quality which appears to be very good. It's better than Crave which is 720p and HDTV channels which are 1080i so I'm probably getting a solid 1080p. The Man in the High Castle is fairly dark. Could it be an issue with TV settings? Dark backgrounds can highlight brightness and color controls being set too high.