Amazon Prime Video in Canada discussions. - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 248 (permalink) Old 2017-03-13, 03:22 AM
Rookie

Good news for Canadians. I am just thinking that can we have access to full library? temporarily I am using VPN to access US Amazon prime in Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 248 (permalink) Old 2017-03-13, 02:12 PM

I'll wait till they make the Amazon Instant Video app available for Canadian ROKU boxes before buying their prime membership. The American ROKU version of the app has been available for a number of years, not sure why it is taking so long to tweak that version in order to roll out a Canadian version... it shouldn't be to difficult to achieve this.
post #78 of 248 (permalink) Old 2017-03-15, 01:25 PM

Excerpts from Press Release:
American Playboy: The Hugh Hefner Story Launches Globally April 7 on Amazon Prime Video

The Amazon Original Series American Playboy: The Hugh Hefner Story will premiere on Amazon Prime Video in more than 200 countries and territories on Friday, April 7. The series tells the story of Playboy magazine's charismatic founder, Hugh Hefner, who set out to disrupt the status quo and created one of the most recognizable brands in history. The docuseries combines archival footage, pulling from thousands of hours from Hefner's personal archives; interviews with notable figures including Jesse Jackson, Gene Simmons and Bill Maher; and cinematic reenactments.

Prime members will be able to stream all 10 episodes of the docuseries exclusively via the Amazon Prime Video app on Android and iOS phones and tablets, popular LG and Samsung Smart TVs, Android TV by Sony or online at PrimeVideo.com—and can also download the series to mobile devices for offline viewing. Members can watch in English with French, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish subtitled versions available soon.

post #79 of 248 (permalink) Old 2017-04-19, 07:50 PM
Veteran

Over 4 months and barely any "apps". I have prime and use it for the free shipping but haven't watched a single minute of the Prime Video service simply because of this. What a joke of a rollout for a company with the might and power of Amazon.
post #80 of 248 (permalink) Old 2017-04-19, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Even bigger joke is that you can not buy Amazon Fire Tv from Amazon Canada. Only sometimes available from a third party at inflated price.
post #81 of 248 (permalink) Old 2017-04-21, 09:12 AM

Been using it on Xbox One, it's great!
post #82 of 248 (permalink) Old 2017-04-21, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

What is so great about it. Very few shows or recent movies. No access to Amazon Prime on media players. Amazon simply does not care about Canadian customers.
post #83 of 248 (permalink) Old 2017-04-21, 10:35 AM

Amazon has been outbidding Crunchyroll/Funimation on a number of anime simulcasts for their Strike service in the US. They charge an extra fee per month on top of the Prime subscription in the US for Strike. Some of those shows are available in Canada as part of Canadian Prime, but others are not available here at all. It is quite frustrating that they are making it harder for my niche audience to legally watch some anime.
post #84 of 248 (permalink) Old 2017-06-05, 06:03 PM

Apple CEO Tim Cook announced today that Amazon Video for Apple TV will be released “later this year” and will be available on existing Apple TVs.
Source: https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/5/15...nced-wwdc-2017

I guess that means they've finally patched up their differences. No idea if the app will work with Amazon Canada.
post #85 of 248 (permalink) Old 2017-06-06, 07:19 AM

Don't get your hopes up too high, considering that primevideo still isn't available on the Roku in Canada. Prime in Canada seems to be an afterthought for Amazon.

Primevideo's anime simulcasts are a bit of a mess as well. I had an episode last season that was missing English in the subtitle language choices. I contacted their support people who were very prompt but also very useless. This season the new episodes are not being posted regularly. I wish they would stop overbidding on anime and just let crunchyroll have it.
post #86 of 248 (permalink) Old 2017-06-06, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Well, I would not base my opinion on Roku support in Canada. Apple TV support is pretty good. We have Crave tv and used to have Shomi so I do not have any doubts that Prime video will be available on Apple TV in Canada.
Especially that it is available on Apple mobile devices already.
post #87 of 248 (permalink) Old 2017-06-06, 02:22 PM

Primevideo has a Roku app in other markets. They just haven't gotten around to making it work in Canada. This is why I speculated that they might not get around to making AppleTV work in Canada either.
post #88 of 248 (permalink) Old 2017-06-06, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

What Roku has or not is irrelevant to what Apple will decide to do. Apple did not care if Roku had Crave Tv or Shomi and have made those services available to Canadians. Same may happen with Prime video.
post #89 of 248 (permalink) Old 2017-06-07, 05:11 AM

My point is that it is at least partially up to Amazon whether they make Primevideo available to Canadians on AppleTV. If Amazon can't be bothered on the Roku, then it is at least possible that Amazon won't bother with Canadians on the AppleTV either.
post #90 of 248 (permalink) Old 2017-06-07, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

It is possible that it will happen and Amazon Prime will be available in Canada on all Apple TV models.
Since Apple an Amazone have come to terms and Amazon Prime release in Canada this year I would say that possibility of Amazon Prime coming to Apple TV in Canada is very high.
Regardless of what Roku decides.

Tags
amazon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in