Amazon Prime Video in Canada discussions. - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-12-29, 09:27 AM

It has been 3 weeks since Amazon Instant Video is in Canada... The problem is the compatible devices to stream their library to your TV. I'm personally waiting for the ROKU channel which already exists in US, but not to Canadian ROKU boxes. I don't even know if the Android version lets you stream it to their own Amazon Fire stick or box? If so, did they start selling a Canadian version of the Fire devices. You gotta wonder if they believe Canadian families will curl up around a tiny smart phone screen or tablet to watch a movie. Frustrated, I shared my thoughts with their customer service in a CHAT box and later got an email response:

Greetings from Amazon.

At this time, Amazon Video app is not available on Roku In Canada. We're regularly working on improvements for your experience. I've let the team know you're interested in this feature.

Customer feedback like yours is always important to us as we continue to determine ways to improve the experience for everyone who visits our website.

Your comments and questions help us continue to improve the service we provide for everyone who visits our website

I've passed your comments to the appropriate department within Amazon.com for consideration. This kind of feedback is invaluable to us, as it helps us continue to improve our web site and provide better service to all of our customers.

I appreciate your understanding and patience in this regard.

If you still need any further assistance we'll be happy to help you, please do contact us again.

If you want to contact us over the phone then please visit our Help pages ( target="_blank">http://www.amazon.com/help), click the "Contact Us" button, enter your phone number through the Phone tab, and we'll call you.

Contacting us through the website allows you to verify security before a call is placed and ensures we have your account information ready when we call you.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for taking time to contact Amazon.com.

We'd appreciate your feedback. Please use the links below to tell us about your experience today.

Best regards,

Last edited by 57; 2016-12-29 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Name removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-12-29, 01:14 PM

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia(Maestro whole home PVR with two terminals)
That's a rather disappointing reply, and seems as though it is "canned". It seems as though Amazon Prime video is just not that interested in the Canadian market, if they aren't willing to support the devices that would allow streaming on large screens. I'm not interested in watching videos on a tiny computer screen either, and will stick with Netflix for now.
post #63 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-12-29, 01:56 PM

My guess is that the Amazon Roku app was originally written so that it only works with the U.S. content library. It will have to be reworked so that it can be used internationally, with different content libraries for 200 countries.

post #64 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-12-29, 02:36 PM

^^
There was an Amazon app on my LG TV from day one.
post #65 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-12-29, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I have an Amazon app on my Samsung tv as well. I am very surprised that it is not available on Roku or Apple TV yet, although it is possible to watch it on the big screen using Apple devices.
post #66 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-12-29, 07:31 PM

The Amazon app is not available is the USA store of Apple TV as well
post #67 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-12-29, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

It is available for iPad and iPhone in both stores, so it can be air played on big screen using Apple TV.
post #68 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-12-30, 09:26 AM
Rookie

Casting via Chromcast

I stream the Amazon Prime Canada video to my TV via Google Chromecast . I cant do that direct with my phone (Samsung S6) but do so via Google Home app which mirrors my phone. I noticed some buffering that didnt happen with Netflix. I also tried to download the video to my phone to atop the buffering but that didnt work. You can also cast from a desktop or laptop.
post #69 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-12-31, 09:28 PM
Veteran

I was able to setup the Prime App on my Sony Blu-ray player. I am assuming however that I am tapped into the U.S. store because the Bosch series is available. I have unblock-us still running on one of my routers. Still no Roku or Xbox app unfortunately.
post #70 of 248 (permalink) Old 2017-01-01, 09:52 PM

I use a DNS service with my roku premiere - loaded the prime video app. Disabled my US DNS service, signed in with my Prime Canada account. Set up my DNS service and now have prime US

Am I getting new Sony?
post #71 of 248 (permalink) Old 2017-01-02, 11:34 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0dest3r
Still no Roku or Xbox app unfortunately.
Indeed. I've been watching "The Man in the High Castle" using my HTPC. HTPCs really are still the only "universal" device out there when it comes to viewing content.

I suppose you could open the content in Chrome on a PC and "cast" it to a Chromecast, but then you take a quality hit.
post #72 of 248 (permalink) Old 2017-01-31, 09:06 AM

Season Two of the Amazon Original Series The Man in the High Castle to Debut Globally on Amazon

Quote:
Amazon today announced that all ten episodes of season two of the Emmy winning Amazon Original Series The Man in the High Castle are set to premiere worldwide on Amazon Prime Video in more than 200 countries and territories on February 10, 2017. Prime Video members can enjoy a sneak peek of season two with episode one available to watch on February 3, 2017...Prime Video is automatically available at no additional cost to Amazon Prime members in Canada.
post #73 of 248 (permalink) Old 2017-03-03, 10:56 AM

Have been streaming Prime to our tv from a mini computer since it was introduced into Canada. The quality of the streaming has been excellent via Bell fibe internet....it does however use a lot of gb making unlimited internet a must. Not certain but it seems to use more than Netflix does. As we use Prime for majority of our on-line shopping the video service is an extra bonus. In addition also use the Live Tv app to stream CBS on-line news service plus a wide variety of channels from around the world (free). Watching non-American news services does provide another view of the world from a non-American view.
post #74 of 248 (permalink) Old 2017-03-05, 11:16 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev fan View Post
I have an Amazon app on my Samsung tv as well. I am very surprised that it is not available on Roku or Apple TV yet, although it is possible to watch it on the big screen using Apple devices.
I don't have it on my Samsung TVs and it doesn't seem available in the Samsung Hub app search.

I can add it to Rokus that are linked to a US Roku account (without any DNS or VPN service) and it allows me to log in with my Canadian Amazon credentials and watch Amazon original TV shows. But the movies and non-Amazon TV shows that it shows as "included with Prime" only give buy/rent buttons. And given the content overlap with Canadian Netflix, I'm clearly seeing the US library.

And of course no app for my Rokus linked to a Canadian Roku account.

This isn't exactly rocket science. Especially for a company with the size and technical resources of Amazon. So being a few months in and effectively no "device apps" makes Amazon seem like they really barely care.
post #75 of 248 (permalink) Old 2017-03-05, 02:43 PM

Tried the 30 day free.. no Roku.. cancelled. I could add the app to my 100% legal kodi box, but that only gave limited TV access.. ie, one room.

Tags
amazon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in