Amazon Prime Video in Canada discussions. - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-14, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
...Also, I'm curious if Amazon Canada has Bosch, which is an Amazon Studio production licensed to CraveTV.
No, Amazon Canada does not have Bosch series but it is available on Amazon US.
Dr.Dave likes this.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-12-14 at 06:59 PM. Reason: shortened quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-14, 06:31 PM

I asked them this morning about when it would be available on Roku. The answer was that they are aware that many people want that, in the USA and Canada and it is in the development teams hands.
I accepted that answer for now and I'll just wait and see. I might hump a spare computer down to beside my tv, plug in the HDMI and try the free trial...I am a Prime member already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #48 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-15, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Amazon Prime Video app is available as of today in Canadian Apple Store but only for mobile devices so it has to be streamed using Air Play if anybody wants to watch it on the big screen.
According to some sources Amazon Prime Video app is coming to Apple TV4 very soon.

I think that Apple TV is the only media player that supports all streaming services available in Canada.

post #49 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-15, 10:12 PM
Rookie

As far as I can 'assume', they just need to expose the Roku Amazon Prime app to the Canadian Roku Store. They have the app already, and it works on my 1 roku setup as a US device, but not on my roku's setup as Canadian devices.
post #50 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-16, 12:34 AM

I'm an Amazon Prime US customer (shipping stuff to a relative in the US). When I'm in the US I can watch a lot of stuff on Prime Video, and when I'm home (in Canada) there's been a limited range of stuff for "while you're travelling". I figured it was all Amazon originals, but not all of them.

Is there anything in recent developments that would provide more than what I was getting before? I'm not a Prime Canada member and probably never will be (there isn't enough worth buying from Amazon Canada).

What I would love is for them to follow the Netflix model, where membership in one region works in all regions, but with different content. That's in effect what I've had already, except the Canada content has been tiny (vs just smaller, with Netflix Canada vs Netflix US).

Hoping they can come out with something like that, and hoping more that they're talkign about it.

BTW is there a list anywhere of what Prime US customers can see when they're in Canada?

Thanks!
=aw
post #51 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-16, 05:46 AM
Veteran

why is this topic important?
Doesn't Canada have their own companies that provide such services?
Do you support them? If not, why not?

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #52 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-16, 10:01 AM
Veteran

@majortom Not sure what's the point of your question. Prime Video has exclusives and is now available for free for Amazon Prime Canada members. It's like asking why are people discussing Amazon instead of Indigo when buying books, toys, etc. People shop where they want to shop.

--
Neil
post #53 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-16, 10:18 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom
Doesn't Canada have their own companies that provide such services?
Aside from CraveTV, Canadian companies aren't all that interested in the future.
post #54 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-16, 12:03 PM
Veteran

Prime Video in Canada will likely improve their library of titles in the coming months and years. The selection on Netflix Canada was comparatively small at first but that has changed. CraveTV had an advantage due to Bell's existing business relationships with US and Canadian broadcasters. It takes time for a new service to build up a library. As licensing agreements with other Canadian services expire, Prime Video has the opportunity to pick some of them up.
post #55 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-16, 03:02 PM

As threatened I plugged my W10 Insider laptop into my tv and signed into Amazon. Worked fine as one would expect. Watched about 20 minutes of the Grand Tour...not sure I'll bother with it. Looked at the rest of the offerings, didn't see anything I wanted to watch ( FWIW I rarely bother with Netflix either) and just watched TVO and PBS instead.

I am sure the library will improve as the service gets going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #56 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-16, 03:13 PM

I'll try Prime before CraveTV for one reason: They will likely have Roku support soon. Though if the library doesn't grow I won't try it for very long. I'll try Crave when they bring out a Roku app, not before.
post #57 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-16, 04:15 PM

Installed the App on my new LG tv, but haven't tried it yet. Looks like they have Grand Tour in UHD. Also noticed there are only two seasons of Transparent when I believe there are 3.
post #58 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-19, 11:53 AM

I asked Amazon why they don't have all seasons of Transparent, which is an Amazon show, and they replied it was a rights issue. I wonder if the failed Shomi still retains the rights to season 3 in Canada?
post #59 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-19, 12:59 PM

I would imagine they do. They're likely holding out for money from Amazon to allow the rights to revert prior to the expiration of the deal.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #60 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-28, 02:19 PM
Rookie

It's Official: Amazon Instant Video is FINALLY Coming to Canada!

It appears that there's finally a glimmer of hope for Canadian Transparent fans as Amazon Group, LLC announced that they are finally bringing their USA-only Instant Video streaming service to the great white north in the new year! Say "Thank You Amazon!"

Last edited by 57; 2016-12-28 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Merged into this thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in