Amazon Prime Video in Canada discussions. - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-01, 03:54 PM
Rookie

Amazon Prime Video

It's being reported, and was apparently leaked by Bell, that Amazon Video will be launching in Canada, supposedly today. I guess they are replacing Shomi.

Last edited by 57; 2016-12-01 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Merged into this thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-01, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallmj View Post
So there is no real AppleTV app? And there is a Roku App? That's hilarious. The solution is as cumbersome as Chromecasting. The thing that made me cancel Shomi the first time around was the lack of a Roku app. That's also the reason I've never tried CraveTV.
Not true at all. There is no Canadian app for Amazon Prime Video as well on Roku. The app is available on both Roku and Apple (mobile devices) only when accessing American location using proxy.
Hopefully it will be released soon in Canada both on Roku and Apple TV.

Last edited by bev fan; 2016-12-01 at 09:47 PM.
post #33 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-01, 05:12 PM

So it looks like Bell's claim that Prime Video Canada would launch today was not accurate. I guess the info they give the CRTC is as truthful as the info their CSR's give their customers.
Gentleman likes this.

post #34 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-01, 09:16 PM

@bev fan Lol, Good luck with an app coming to Canada on Apple TV if such a launch would ever to occur.

@smallmj LOL, Bell looked like fools by making that statement. The orginals that we can watch on are the exact same as yesterday.

Last edited by wmjfoley85; 2016-12-01 at 10:03 PM.
post #35 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-01, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Actually if I am not mistaken there is still no Prime Time Video app for Apple TV in the states and in Canada.
However there is an app for mobile devices in the American Apple Store, so my statement in the quote is still correct.
post #36 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-02, 02:31 AM

On Apple TV (US) you can Air play the titles on it and yes, download the app from the App Store on mobile devices. I expect that's what our Southern Neighbours do.

For anyone interested this is what your Amazon Prime subscription will let you view in Canada without a Proxy:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=atv_?_e...=instant-video
post #37 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-02, 08:39 AM
Veteran

Wouldn't you be able to install the app on the latest generation of Apple TV? I know the previous ones you couldn't install apps. I have a 3rd gen Apple TV.
post #38 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-02, 01:28 PM

post #39 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-08, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

For now I have given up on Amazon Prime Video. It has been working good for the last week on my one month free trial offer but now it is completely dead. Will be cancelling my free trial offer today so I will not get charged for one year.
Most likely I will not be considering it in the future. Prefer Crave tv over poor selection on Prime video.
post #40 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-14, 06:35 AM

Prime Video is now available in Canada. Can't see what content they have without a subscription, which is frustrating.
post #41 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-14, 09:19 AM

Quote:
New: Watch Amazon Originals on PrimeVideo.com
Your Prime membership gives you exclusive access to watch Amazon Originals including The Grand Tour and award winners The Man in the High Castle, Mozart in the Jungle and Transparent. Enjoy instant streaming on Amazon's global video service, PrimeVideo.com. Watch on your computer or on the go with the Prime Video app, and download select titles to your iPhone, iPad, or Android device. The site and app are currently in English, with multi-language dubbing or subtitles available.
Quote:
Start your 30-day free trial*
After your free trial, Amazon Prime is just CDN$ 79.00/year (plus any applicable taxes).
Cancel anytime. *Quebec residents receive an initial 13-month membership for CDN $79.00, instead of a free trial.
Sources: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/prime/pipeline/landing and https://www.primevideo.com/

Amazon officially launches Netflix-like video service in Canada - BNN
Quote:
Canadians hoping to subscribe on a standalone basis are out of luck: an Amazon spokesperson told BNN via email the Video service will only be available to Prime customers.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-12-14 at 09:48 AM. Reason: added more info
post #42 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-14, 12:28 PM

so i sign up for the 30 day trial of Prime.

After a few minutes of searching thru the titles available. I hope i am missing something but the selection is pitiful. Pardon the
pun but Prime is not ready for Prime time. The selection of movies is not only small but the movies are ancient. Nothing current at
all. At this point Netflix Canada has no worries about losing out to Amazon. Prime is not worth having at this time and i will not
continue after the 30 day trial. Would love to be able to compare the USA Prime vs the Canada Prime to see if there is a huge
difference.
post #43 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-14, 01:37 PM

I found the full Amazon press release:
Amazon Prime Video Now Available in More Than 200 Countries and Territories Around the World

@Blintok this site may help with Amazon U.S. It doesn't have Amazon Canada yet, but it does have U.K. I wonder if they got worldwide licences for all countries outside the U.S., for those people that travel.

https://www.justwatch.com/

Also, I'm curious if Amazon Canada has Bosch, which is an Amazon Studio production licensed to CraveTV.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-12-14 at 01:58 PM.
post #44 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-14, 01:50 PM

mobilesyrup has a complete list of titles:

Amazon Prime Video in Canada: Complete TV and movie list | MobileSyrup.com

It is pretty short, especially when you realize that many titles are repeated in separate categories.
bev fan likes this.
post #45 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-14, 03:40 PM

I posted about it ( the launch in Canada) on the Shaw forum and they deleted it for some reason. Don't know why, it doesn't compete with anything they offer, and have posted about Netflix before with no problems.

Last edited by buckycat; 2016-12-14 at 05:58 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in