Amazon Prime Video in Canada discussions. - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-11-29, 10:31 PM

I'll be paying close attention to this for sure ! However, I already have full access to Amazon Prime US through my Roku Player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-11-30, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
Rumours about Amazon Video coming to Canada have been around for several months. I suspect the execs at shomi knew that Amazon was coming to Canada, since reports are that Amazon has been withholding international rights to the more recent programs that they are producing themselves and are also acquiring rights from the Hollywood studios.

The Rogers board came to the conclusion that shomi could never turn a profit while competing against Netflix, Amazon and CraveTV. I think the exact timing is a bit of a coincidence, but I believe the fact that Amazon Video was coming to Canada forced Rogers to evaluate their prospects for the service. Shaw had already written off their entire investment and probably were no longer interested in being a partner since they had sold all their media assets to Corus (which didn't want shomi.)
I think it was more the other way around. Amazon could not procure a sufficient library of streaming video in Canada with telcos hogging all the rights. So they allowed CDN companies to get rights to Amazon Prime shows and washed their hands of it. When Shomi faltered, Shawgers didn't want to simply gift all those rights to Belus - or Netflix for that matter - so they arranged to let those rights revert to Amazon.

It will be interesting to see if any content that did not start as an Amazon exclusive will see its rights transferred from Shomi.
post #18 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-11-30, 09:33 AM

^^ I heard about Prime Video coming to Canada before shomi shut down. Since I wrote that post, BNN has confirmed some additional info:
Quote:
Amazon has been quietly acquiring Canadian rights to a range of programming over the past year...As for the Canadian rights to Amazon’s original shows, that’s a bit more complicated. Prior to the planned launch of Prime Video in Canada, the rights to some Amazon originals had been sold to other streaming services. The award-winning show Transparent, for example, has been available on Shomi, a service launched two years ago by Rogers Communications and Shaw Communications. Bosch, another Amazon original, has been available on Crave TV.
“Amazon has been holding on to the worldwide rights for some of its more recently produced shows,” one source familiar with Amazon’s plans told BNN. “One example is The Man in the High Castle. They’ve been shelving its release in countries outside the U.S. so they’ll have it available for the global release of Prime Video.

post #19 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-11-30, 10:40 AM
Veteran

Most of Shomi's and CraveTV's rights agreements will likely expire within a year, allowing Amazon to stream the shows on their own service.
post #20 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-11-30, 11:24 AM
Veteran

It's interesting to see the divergence between companies that have a view to the future (e.g. Amazon, Netflix), and companies that seem stuck in the past (which, apparently include Rogers and Shaw).

I would imagine that "going global" would be a lot more interesting to companies that exist in a "small pond" like Canada rather than companies based in the USA. I guess if the mindset "my company is a little company, and I want it to stay that way", then I can see how Canada-only options like Shomi not being profitable because of the small scale of the implementation leads to the conclusion that they should just exit the market.

Maybe they've just been conditioned to only want to operate in protected markets.

My two thoughts:

1. Being able to serve a global audience via the Internet is a huge opportunity. When you're still thinking about limiting yourself to a small region, it's hard to compete against companies that can leverage economies of scale. For example, there is a fixed cost in developing all the necessary software to deliver streaming video on the various platforms whether your market is massive or your market is 1 person. While many costs of being in this streaming market are variable, many others aren't.

2. Amazon is very much built on the idea that you lose money to grow market share. I doubt their streaming service is profitable yet, but that won't stop them from growing.

May the best companies win. Evidently, those companies won't be Canadian. I also recall ~5 years ago on this forum how some people were predicting that the likes of Netflix were going to get crushed by the BDUs.

How wrong they were. The BDUs tried to go toe to toe with the streaming video services and are getting slapped down. Going forward, I expect that as fewer and fewer people buy traditional TV traditional "cable TV" companies will eventually find themselves in a situation where the only services that they provide that have much value is Internet access (wired and wireless).
Wheelman and wmjfoley85 like this.
post #21 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-11-30, 12:30 PM

Under the USA model, is Amazon Prime Video and Amazon Prime (The one with Free 2 Day shipping) the same package or 2 different entities?

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #22 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-11-30, 12:38 PM

Amazon Prime gets you everything under the Prime label... Amazon Prime USA and Canada, however, differ in their offerings.
post #23 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-11-30, 12:42 PM

post #24 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-11-30, 04:26 PM

can users in the states get Amazon streaming via apple TV? I know it works on roku
post #25 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-11-30, 05:09 PM

Yes, they can.

How to? (In the US)
Step 1: Download the free Amazon Instant Video app on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
Step 2: Sign in with your Amazon Prime subscription ID.
Step 3: Search for your favorite content or browse the limitless catalog and find the perfect movie for your mood.
Step 4: Start the movie and click on the AirPlay icon (displayed in the lower right) -> choose Apple TV.

Last edited by wmjfoley85; 2016-11-30 at 05:40 PM.
post #26 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-01, 05:34 AM

So there is no real AppleTV app? And there is a Roku App? That's hilarious. The solution is as cumbersome as Chromecasting. The thing that made me cancel Shomi the first time around was the lack of a Roku app. That's also the reason I've never tried CraveTV.
post #27 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-01, 12:25 PM

sounds interesting about prime. may have a look at it. but I hate Windows and only have it on one computer for games only.

The reason i do not use CRAVE and did not use SHOMI was they did not work under Linux.
Netflix works thru Chrome on Linux (Mint) .. is Amazon prime HTML5 or still stuck in stone age using Flash and Silverlight?
post #28 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-01, 12:58 PM

Well, the Amazon Prime App for Roku and the lack of Shomi and Crave TV apps were developed in different countries. Currently, I was able to download the Amazon Prime App on my Roku by tricking my Roku into thinking I was American. But yes, it does exist on Roku.

Pretty sure the App is HTML5, but have only used it on my Roku so can't say 100 percent.
post #29 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-01, 02:43 PM

OK so when can I get Amazon prime? I have Prime on Amazon.ca, looked at the web site this morning and no mention of the tv service. Also, if I can't get it on my Roku Stick I am not interested either. Don't mind paying for it, don't care what happens on Amazon US, just want it in Canada.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #30 of 238 (permalink) Old 2016-12-01, 02:54 PM

I checked out amazon.ca this morning too and I couldn't find anything mentioned about Amazon Prime Video either. You can sign into Amazon.com with the same email as Amazon.ca and password and watch a few Amazon Prime Orginals like those stated in the picture I've shared, but besides that I can't find anything that says you can watch more then that yet without the use of a proxy that works. Canada is still lacking apps so it definitely can't be downloaded on your Roku Stick with your Canadian Roku account as of now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in