Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Sale of Android boxes To Obtain "Free TV" Is Now Illegal In Canada.

256K views 806 replies 78 participants last post by  Brontosaurus 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#422 ·
@LONSat

Perhaps wording it differently you might get what I'm saying?

I know individuals that(not my view theirs) they know its stealing but simply don't care.(I know this part may sound weird, but its their view not mine nor do I agree with it or what their saying)that they know it stealing but they look at as "PAY-BACK" for what the BDU's and copy right holders have 'RIPPED US OFF' in the amount they've been charging us for services and now its time as it where STICK IT TO THE MAN!!!.

Like I said that's their view not mine nor do I agree with it.

Yes not paying for content or copy righted material is theft. I know that, but there certain individuals in this world that either know its theft and either don't care or like that short of thing as "Thrill".

That's basically what I was trying to put across there's individuals out there that don't care that its theft, but there going do it any way even though it's wrong.

#423 ·
Like people who have "Grey Market" American Satelitte Systems installed and operating in Canada, they know it's wrong but they still do it.

Until they (Government) take action because of pressure from these BDU's, the sale of 'pre-loaded' box's will continue.

I will once again state though, that the use of an Android box, does not automatically mean that the user if breaking any kind of law, they might be or they might not. It is selling them "Ready to go" that is the issue here.

If I see a sign that says you will 'never' need to pay for TV again, I know it's BS. If it sounds too good to be true, it normally is. Any support, via e-mail, I guess, will drop off after a few weeks or months, leaving the purchaser with an Android box, that gets none of the content that it did when bought, so, what do they do? Buy another or bin it and pay a BDU?

#426 ·
I worked at a franchise of a very large hardware chain in the 1990's, and they openly sold U.S. Satellite systems with pirate cards to get every channel. Soon as the cards stopped working, the store would be flooded all day with customers complaining that they didn't get TV anymore, wanted it fixed immediately, etc. etc.

Eventually the hassle wasn't worth it for the store owner and his little side business. I assume the same will go for these IPTV guys - it's just not worth the hassle when customers keep coming back with problems expecting them fixed for free. That's what will really kill these boxes is the lack of support for those customers that can't resolve issues themselves.

#428 ·
Just because it says "Free TV" does not mean it is doing so illegally. Some TV stations have free streaming on their sites and from their sites using apps. Add to that a number of free, legal streaming video services. YouTube is the best known example but there are lots of others. Crackle, owned by Sony, is supported by ads.

#432 ·
The largest broadcasters who are also the largest BDUs who are also the largest ISPs want to censor the internet in Canada. Why am I not surprised? I wouldn't be concerned except that they named themselves "Fairplay Canada." I doubt that they will live up to the name. Organizations that use such names rarely do, especially when they control so much of the industry they want to censor. If there wasn't so much concentration of ownership and the industries in question were open to outside competition then I wouldn't be as concerned. Once they tighten the noose around consumers necks, we just might see prices skyrocket and choices plummet. Canadians pay too much for entertainment as it is due to the tight control the Canadian broadcasting industry applies to movies, TV and music. Censorship is the wrong direction to take. That has been proven by repeatedly. Opening up legal access and providing more economical choices has been proven to be more effective. Pirates will always find a way around countermeasures that prevent access to content. Making it easier and cheaper to access content legally will reduce piracy.

#433 ·
Sorry ExDilbert making it easier and cheaper ala Netflix is not the answer. i was at a party where "Android Boxes" were being discussed. They were regaling us in how the were such movie buffs and they got everything including Netflix content for free. It doesn't matter how low cost the option is people will steal it. This is not about censorship its about stopping theft and I fully support this initiative. Amongst my peers I am probably one of the few who pay for their content. This stealing/piracy is rampant and people freely discuss because they don't see anything wrong with. Just because there isn't a little black dress hanging in a closet with a stain on it doesn't mean that what is happening is not what many (not saying you) are trying to pass it off as.

#434 ·
It doesn't matter how low cost the option is people will steal it.
Wrong.

If we look to our friends south of the border, it is well known that piracy is not as problematic in the U.S. as it is in Canada. Why is that?

I've spent time in the U.S. and talked with many Americans. So called "Pirate boxes" are substantially less prevalent in the U.S. and media choice is greater and costs substantially less. We just don't see the same rate of piracy south of the border.

Second question. Why do so many Canadians engage the services of a VPN to obtain media outside of Canada?

When a commodity increases in price, so does theft. It doesn't matter what the commodity is either.

I have to agree with ExDilbert on this one. It's time to address our telecommunications oligopoly in this country.

#435 ·
Here's a quick question to the staunch anti-piracy members posting here. For the sake of arguments, let's say that somehow, someway it was now absolutely, 100% impossible to pirate anything in Canada. You can't even listen to free music on Youtube. Everyone must pay for anything and everything, or listen to commercial radio. What do you think will happen to your cable/satellite bills? To your online streaming platforms like Netflix, CraveTv and Spotify? Supply and demand will kick in like you've never seen it before. Prices will skyrocket. If all those companies no longer have to compete with free, you can bet your bottom dollar that they will take full advantage of that. And if some company doesn't in the name of fairness its investors will revolt and sue (remember that publicly owned companies have a legal duty to its shareholders to do everything in their power to maximize profits).

So while you are absolutely free to believe in paying for what you consume, the only reason you are not paying a lot more is because of the "free" options out there.

#442 ·
Here's a quick question to the staunch anti-piracy members posting here. For the sake of arguments, let's say that somehow, someway it was now absolutely, 100% impossible to pirate anything in Canada. You can't even listen to free music on Youtube.
Most music on YouTube is not pirated, it's as free and legal as commercial radio. Same with OTA TV and streaming from network websites.

But either way, your argument could also be flipped the other way. Let's say that there was no piracy, and everyone used either subscriptions or legitimate ad-supported methods of obtaining content. If prices rise, more competitors are likely to enter the market. More competitors means prices fall again, and those who do pay for access will have a wider choice and likely better services to choose from.

An illustrative example of this: people who don't subscribe to Netflix don't automatically pirate Netflix content. Most of them just watch something else entirely. Netflix keeps its prices where it is not just to compete with pirates, but to compete with the myriad of other legal free or paid services available.

#437 ·
Sorry ExDilbert making it easier and cheaper ala Netflix is not the answer.
History tells us otherwise. You are looking at the late stage situation after years of high prices and prohibition created demand for unavailable or unaffordable (to many) products. The bottom line is that TV and movies are often too difficult to acquire or when they are available, they are too expensive. Just like with prohibition, organized crime will appear to make the product readily available and affordable. We've seen the same things happen with cannabis, narcotic pain killers and high cigarette taxes. Not only has organized crime stepped in to fill the void, many serious side effects have accompanied the creation of crime organizations. They include violence, loss of life and the importing of other contraband such as guns and more dangerous drugs. As long as the broadcasting and studio industry cartels try to enforce a regimen of high prices and short supply, organized criminals will step in to fill the void. Piracy may be worse in Canada but only because the Canadian broadcasting cartel has historically created a greater demand due to higher prices and shorter supply than in the US. Citing Netflix is a red herring since it is just an extension of the existing regime and yet one more bill to pay in order to obtain a full range of products.

Many people, especially right wing politicians, make the mistake of labeling products or people as the source of criminal activity. It's truer to say that laws create crimes, not products or people. More specifically, prohibition and highly regulated markets cause theft and associated criminal gangs. Without laws, there are no crimes. Without police and courts to enforce laws, there are no criminals. I'm not saying we should abolish all laws and regulations, just the counterproductive ones that are discriminatory or self perpetuating.

#438 ·
I'm not sure of all the reasons individuals use the Android Boxes or other apps to get servuces like IPTV or other apps allowing you to get "Free Channels"

But one of the main reasons is channelds not available here in Canada that show up on these devices/Apps.

If the CRTC & BDUS would get of their HIGH Horses" and stop this "protect Canada" nonsense and allow all these channels-Ethnic(the real ones from the country of origin and not these bogus Canadian versions of them) US channels besides the known ones others like The Blaze,Fussion and tons of others as well as the ITV's channels,BBC channels, the Australian/New Zealand ones not saying it'll cut down on the use of these boxes but it might cut down on some usage.

From all the people that I know that use these boxes, it all the same a not that's free some pay for IPTV services, is the channels plain and simple.

All the English(British/Irish/Scotish)individuals I know want the Sky,BBC & ITV and many other British channels from back home as well as all the French individuals I know want the channels from France.

That's the one of the main issues, if they can't get them from a Canadian providers, then trhey say "S**** You, I'll get them illegally if I have to".

#444 ·
The bottom line for a lot of companies is that doing business in Canada is too difficult due to government regulations. One worldwide wireless phone company operator stated that Canada was the worst place in the world to do business and sold his company a few months later. I suspect that broadcasting is very similar since they are both regulated by the CRTC and subject to similar ownership rules.
@Paolo, what exactly do you mean by "very affordable compared to what we Canadians pay?" The last time I looked at US packages, which was a few years ago, prices were comparable. Does that include the exchange on the Canadian dollar?

#445 ·
ExDilbert Have you actually looked at the prices recently? most tv offers in Canada are for the entry level tv packages, so for rogers, its premium/premier, bell: good, shaw: i dont know, telus: i dont know but probably the first teir, cogeco: i dont know but probably the first tier. In the united states, most of the bundled tv offers include the mid range tv package AND premium movie channels like HBO, cinemax, showtime, etc. Their mid range package is less than our mid range package and includes way better value/channels, their home phone base price includes everything compared to the home phone price here in canada, and I am not including the exchange rate in this. Let's leave out the exchange rate for this example. also their most popular internet packages are 100 mega bits per second and usually cost 50-60 dollars average BEFORE DISCOUNTS, ours are usually that price AFTER discounts. so there u go, go look for yourself, for those prices, even a person working minimum wage CAN afford a good trio package there is NO Excuse to pirate, its very affordable and you dont have to worry about the hassle of streaming problems that plague people who try to obtain illegal tv signals. I am not poor but If I WAS poor I would still be able to afford this, there is really no excuse to pirate in the usa with cable trio packages as affordable as they are.

#446 ·
Xfinity for example
Their base package, 25mbps + 140tv channels = about $145 after the promo period................$180 CDN aprox

Rogers, your somewhere between the GOOD and BETTER bundle (for the same channels / same ish speed) which is between $142-190.

So in the same prices ranges.

At least TV/Internet, i dont see that much different in the US.

Main other thing, is that they have MUCH MORE options for the streaming... compared to here.

#447 ·
I still don't see much difference. We pay under $180/mo for 40Mbps internet and "over 200 channels" plus TMN and HBO Canada. That includes some discounts. There is a cap on the internet but that could be eliminated for an extra $10/mo by switching ISPs. It pays to shop around and ask for price matches. Introductory offers can sometimes be extended for years by simply calling.

#448 ·
People in Canada look at their Internet/Home line/T.V with cell phone package.Will usually range from $200-$250 a Month.I am sure the same packages in the U.S will be much lower perhaps $150.So people here in Canada look at where they can cut something out to balance their Budget.Once they are made aware of OTA,Android boxes and Netflix then they see a Rainbow in the Sky.
Services here are just too expensive!

#449 ·
I get what I need here with voip phone service and 150Mbps internet and small TV for a bit more than $100/month.
When I look at a California address they want $29.99 for TV but the catch is "with bundle" so you get to pay for voice and 40Mbps internet and the special is $89.99 US/mo which is about $110 Canadian. That is the "special" for one year. Additional $15 a month for premium, so not included. Not included in my $100 either but just thought I would mention "not included".
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fine print:‡ Limited time offer; subject to change; new customers only; requires purchase of a standard Triple Play package and cannot be combined with any Single or Double Play upgrade offers. Bundle price for TV Select, Internet, and Voice is $89.97/mo. for year 1; standard rates apply after year 1. Free DVR service for 1 DVR is for year 1; standard rates apply after year 1. TV: Equipment required and is extra; channel and HD programming availability based on level of service. INTERNET: Available Internet speeds may vary by address; no additional charge for modem. VOICE: Taxes and fees included in price. Other equipment, install, taxes, fees & surcharges may apply. Services not available in all areas. Restrictions apply. Enter your address to determine availability.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Quote: let's leave out the exchange rate for this example - no! apples to apples add at least 25%

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.