Sale of Android boxes To Obtain "Free TV" Is Now Illegal In Canada. - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

592Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-22, 07:04 AM
Veteran

Sale of Android boxes with Kodi and other add ons is now illegal in Canada.

I subscribe to an expensive cable and internet package. I do agree people should pay for the content they watch. I also feel that we should be able to watch what we want when we went. Like a lot of people, between work, kids activities, and just trying to spend quality time with the family. I have very limited time to actually watch TV. So I watch Netflix mostly. If the tv series I want to watch is not on Netflix, then I will watch it though Kodi. My thought is I'm paying for an expensive tv package anyways, so what's wrong with watching my content other places, like Kodi. I don't watch movies on Kodi. We usually rent our movies from iTunes. And no, I'm not catholic, or religious for that matter. But I still have high moral values. Something that is not limited to Religious people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-22, 09:57 AM

@jshel101 - so what you are saying is that you buy content from one person, and if they don't carry the content you want, it's OK to use Kodi?

So, I buy a lot of food at my local grocery store - but they don't sell tires for my car - it's OK for me to steal tires from someone else then since my grocery store doesn't have them?

Also, my grocery store isn't open after 9pm - so if I want food after 9pm, I should steal it from another source?

Theft is theft - isn't it?
post #108 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-22, 10:12 AM

This needs to get back on the rails... Kodi itself is Not illegal. I use it to connect to my NAS for distribution of music and movies that are sitting on the server. The logic that Kodi is illegal is no different than saying Plex is illegal because it played a movie or TV show or whatever that you downloaded without paying for the content.
Gentleman and Obed like this.

post #109 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-22, 10:58 AM
Veteran

Sale of Android Boxes With "Free TV" Add-ons Is Now Illegal in Canada

This thread is poorly named and should be changed. It's not only inaccurate, it also misrepresents and defames the KODI project. The new law is not about KODI, it's about the "Free TV" add-ons that Android TV box resellers are installing.

The Piracy Box Sellers and YouTube Promoters Are Killing Kodi
Gentleman likes this.
post #110 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-22, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
So, I buy a lot of food at my local grocery store - but they don't sell tires for my car - it's OK for me to steal tires from someone else then since my grocery store doesn't have them?
This metaphor doesn't work for a few reasons. One, if you steal the tires, then the store doesn't have those tires to sell to someone else. But television isn't a zero sum game; if you steal a TV show, then the networks still have that show to sell to everyone else. Two, @jshel101 's point was that he is paying for this. He pays to get those shows on cable TV, but through some combination of an inconvenient air time and his lack of a DVR or lack of time/motivation to program it, he is unable or unwilling to work around the TV channels' schedules.

This situation is similar to people who own old Nintendo cartridges downloading the ROMs of the games they own, or people who bypass the security on DVDs or Blu-Rays to rip them to a digital format. Officially, you're not supposed to do that. Even if that content is not available to you in the format you wish, the owners of that content would like to retain the right to potentially sell it you in that format in the future. On the other hand, if you paid for it, do you have no rights on how you should use it? And where do we draw the line? Is it okay to make a digital copy of a show you paid to watch on cable via something like a Hauppauge HDPVR, but not okay to download a version of a show you pay to watch on cable that someone else recorded that way? I'm not saying that he's necessarily right, I just don't think this is a black and white issue, ethically, by any means.
Gentleman, RalphG and Obed like this.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #111 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-22, 01:59 PM
Veteran

I think that may be more what he was trying to say.

I have one android box, which does have Kodi and a few of the apps on it (manually installed).
I also have rogers VIP cable.

Really mostly I use the Kodi box, like more full blown On Demand type device.

If i miss recording something (or the box screws up missing one :P), and i cant find it on RoD, i will go watch it from there.
kcbrk32 likes this.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #112 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-22, 03:02 PM

What I am trying to say is that illegal content is illegal content - no matter how you slice and dice your reasoning for obtaining it.

The reasoning behind paying for it somewhere else and then using an illegal mean to download a copy isn't right. It contributes to the piracy system.

If I buy tickets for Air Canada to fly somewhere and I miss my flight, it doesn't mean that WestJet should be free for the same route. If I buy tickets for a Blue Jays game and don't go the night my tickets are for, I don't have a right to that seat for the next game.

A lot of content creators aren't making millions of dollars off their products - most are scraping by. A lot of TV content is made on a shoestring budget, and needs to be bought by consumers to allow the productions to continue and to develop future talent.

I'm not sure what others do for a living on this board, but if in your industry everyone was stealing your product or service, and your job was on the line, your company was scraping by because of piracy/theft, you would be upset at those who have a laissez-faire attitude to making your business fail and potentially losing your livelihood.

Not everyone in the TV game is a major multi-national - the majority are just small guys trying to squeak out a living.

I just ask that people think twice before taking content they didn't pay for - some of your favourite programs may disappear.
post #113 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-22, 03:52 PM
Veteran

Oh, i 100 agree.

There are too many people i see on facebook and other locations.. who promote the android boxes.. saying get this! why pay for cable anymore!
Many believe that the content IS free... and that the cable companies are being the evil ones charging for it.
They are not aware of the 'illegalness' OF using one of these.

Thats one of the key things i say..
If EVERYONE is doing it that way.. the content creators are not getting paid.. no money in, no creating more content.

Too many say "well the other guy will pay for it"

I think the cracking down on these boxes.. will at least LESSEN their coverage.. and help a little bit at least.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #114 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-22, 04:51 PM
Veteran

I agree with most of what everyone above said. I am not condoning theft of intellectual material. I just feel that if I already pay for an expensive cable package, I'm contributing to the licencing of these shows. I use my Gateway to record the shows I watch. However; there are times when I feel like watching an entire series that I can't watch from cable, or not on Netflix, as it is no longer available. I have bought TV series from iTunes when they are on sale, but it would be very expensive if I wanted to buy all of the series I want to watch. I can use Shaw VOD to watch some of the current season of a show, but not the past seasons. For example; my wife wanted to watch the ER series again. She bought the first season off of iTunes, but it would have been cost prohibitive to buy the entire series from iTunes. So she watched it from Kodi. I already pay over $1K per year just for cable. Plus the amount we pay for Netflix and the movies/TV Shows we purchase. How much more do I have to pay?

As some people have stated in this thread already, if there was a cheaper way to watch the shows I want to watch, when I want to watch them, then I would do that. I have no intention of cutting the cord and not pay for cable. I believe we should all pay for the content, at a reasonable cost.
kcbrk32, Gentleman and emmy1500 like this.
post #115 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-22, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
If I buy tickets for Air Canada to fly somewhere and I miss my flight, it doesn't mean that WestJet should be free for the same route. If I buy tickets for a Blue Jays game and don't go the night my tickets are for, I don't have a right to that seat for the next game.
Again, what you're describing is a zero-sum game, which TV is not. Here's a different analogy: if you order a pizza at home, but you only eat half, should you be able to eat the rest at work the next day? The pizza company, given the choice, would say no, they would rather you buy a new pizza to eat at work. But of course that's ridiculous: you bought the pizza, why shouldn't you be able to eat it wherever you want?

However, what if you signed a contract saying that you would only eat the pizza at home, and in exchange the pizza company slightly discounted the pizza for you? Now, I think it would clearly be wrong to eat the pizza at home. But, what if the pizza company refuses to sell you pizza unless you sign that contract? And, they refuse to deliver the kind of pizza you want to your work under any circumstances? So now you've paid for a pizza which you can't eat under the current rules, and you can't legally get that pizza at work.

Look, there are many different angles to this. I think, for example, that it's clearly wrong to say that FX costs too much, and to pirate The Americans while refusing to subscribe to the channel because your cable bill is "high enough already." However, I'm not convinced that it's clearly wrong, if you pay for FX but The Americans airs at an inconvenient time, to download episodes and watch them at your convenience instead.
jshel101 likes this.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #116 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-23, 10:39 AM

Just ordered a few more... they're certainly in high demand. These guys want it for the MLB.TV add-on for the upcoming season... they have subs, so they're really not doing anything illegal.
Gentleman likes this.
post #117 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-23, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

You are right they are not doing anything illegal because there is no clear law in Canada against streaming. Although if the source of their streams is Bell for example then I am pretty sure that Bell could take those individuals to court if they had enough evidence.
You on the other hand are clearly breaking the law by selling android devices and loaded software like Kodi and add-ons.
I mention Kodi because it is the piracy tool to load and view add-ons but it is not illegal on it's own.

Last edited by bev fan; 2017-02-23 at 11:18 AM.
post #118 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-23, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev fan View Post
You on the other hand are clearly breaking the law by selling android devices and loaded software like Kodi and add-ons.
No, an android box with Kodi and an mlb.tv add on where someone puts in their own paid mlb.tv subscriber details is perfectly legitimate.
post #119 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-23, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Kodi because it is the piracy too
Kodi is no more a "piracy tool" than the internet. Most of these streams are available without Kodi, a simple search gives you everything you need to stream MLB without Kodi.
Gentleman likes this.

Last edited by TorontoColin; 2017-02-23 at 04:53 PM. Reason: removed questionable link
post #120 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-23, 01:11 PM

You don't need Kodi to watch MLB.TV with an android box legally...lots of apps supplied by MLB for any device...

I like lobbing the odd bomb into this conversation to keep it going...

It will start to get interesting with the "illegal" use of Kodi when the Canadian government and ISPs start getting on board with what is happening in the UK. Lots of websites with copyrighted, or instructions/links to copyrighted material are blocked by ISPs under order of the UK government.

I've had to file takedown notices for YouTube and other video websites in the past for copyrighted material I own - it is a very time consuming process, and must be costly for some content providers where every 10 minutes someone is posting there content. I can't imagine how bad the paperwork process would be to block an IP address or URL - especially with the Canadian government.

At the end of the day, once it costs content providers to make content, and struggle through all the legal requirements to protect it, they will quit the business. The music industry probably has a 10 year head start on the film/tv industry in how much less revenue they make, as well as how much less product they produce.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in