Sale of Android boxes To Obtain "Free TV" Is Now Illegal In Canada. - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

 592Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-12, 06:14 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,485
Saying yes and actually doing it are two different things. I remember when there was a soccer game and it was being broadcast on BEIN channel. We were at somebodys house and when the game came on they tried to stream it illegally. So I decided to turn on my phone and watch it on my app from my provider. Some kids at the house were very surprised how much better it looked on my phone. I told them it looks so much better and doesnt cut out like theirs because I actually actually PAY for this channel and i work hard for my money so im allowed to treat my self once and a while. I dont think these kids understood cus they were so happy to get it for free and made fun of me for wasting my money. So not everyone u talk to would pay. People will steal because they have a sense of entitlement. If u think the tv laws are archaic why not apply to the government and do something about it. Thats the problem with todays society no one wants to actually do something to get the laws changed. If u think about it if people want the price of hydro to go down then run for premier make that one of ur commitments and i will vote for you no questions asked.
DSgamby likes this.
17671 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #77 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-12, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman View Post
While I don't condone piracy, the sale of these boxes resulted from the archaic policies of our telecommunications regulators. Much like the satellite piracy days, the public wants access to content that is not available currently through any provider in Canada. This is also the reason why VPN's became so popular with subscribers clamoring for content available on U.S. Netflix that is now geo-blocked.

If we truly want to combat piracy, the solution is simple. Make the content readily (and easily) available to Canadian consumers. I've asked acquaintance’s that own Android boxes if they would be willing to pay for content not currently available in Canada and the response I hear has been overwhelmingly "YES".
I am just curious what content is not available in Canada that makes all those people break the law or commit piracy so they can watch something that only Americans have access to.
bev fan is offline  
post #78 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-12, 08:39 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Port Stanley, ON
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
Saying yes and actually doing it are two different things. So not everyone u talk to would pay. If u think the tv laws are archaic why not apply to the government and do something about it. Thats the problem with todays society no one wants to actually do something to get the laws changed. If u think about it if people want the price of hydro to go down then run for premier make that one of ur commitments and i will vote for you no questions asked.
Paolo, in an ideal world, much of what you describe would be possible. However in reality, the reason for much of what you talk about is due to collusion. We all know Canadian's pay some of the highest cell phone charges in the world. Everyone complains about this, but nothing changes. Why? Because we basically have an oligopoly here in Canada. Two major conglomerates control everything from the telecommunication services provided all the way down to the programming we watch. There is too much concentration of power in the hands of the few and those few hands get greased very well. Trying to change laws is all well and good, but the average Joe doesn't have the financial resources to take on the conglomerates.

With respect of your visit to somebody's home I have to ask, could it be possible that the financial situation in that household was such that they lacked the finances to pay for programming?

Same thing about hydro costs, but in that case the cure is worse than the disease.

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
Gentleman is offline  
 
post #79 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-12, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,037
I would agree to your theory if people on welfare or working for a minimum wage were doing piracy because they could not afford to buy regular tv service, but few people that I know that are doing the piracy have nice houses and nice cars so they could easily afford some kind of legal tv service.
They are doing it simply because they can.
These days you can get tv basic tv service for $25 and Netflix for $10, I do not think that these prices are out of range for anybody.
Blaming government or providers just makes piracy as the right thing to do in minds of people doing it.

But next time you brag to people that you can get movies for free on Kodi or get iptv service for $10 a month you should know that most of us know that you are a thief, we just do not say nothing out of politeness.
bev fan is offline  
post #80 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-12, 10:26 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,485
The problem is If you support the android boxes with illegal kodi plugins your a bad guy in the eyes of the law but if you subscribe to a cable tv package and spend your hard earned money for something you actually enjoy people will tell you your supporting corrupt Ogliopolies so its a loose loose situation from what I can see. In that case let me spend my money and atleast be happy with what I watch.
17671 is offline  
post #81 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-12, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,037
Most of the people pay for the tv or streaming service but they just do not advertise it on forums liked his one.
Pirates on the other hand love to cry how mistreated they are by the BDU's but it is nothing else then just trying to justify the piracy.
They are doing it because down inside they know that what they are doing is wrong and having bunch of excuses somehow in their eyes makes it right and helps them fall asleep at night.
bev fan is offline  
post #82 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-13, 02:14 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
Saying yes and actually doing it are two different things. I remember when there was a soccer game and it was being broadcast on BEIN channel. We were at somebodys house and when the game came on they tried to stream it illegally. So I decided to turn on my phone and watch it on my app from my provider. Some kids at the house were very surprised how much better it looked on my phone. I told them it looks so much better and doesnt cut out like theirs because I actually actually PAY for this channel and i work hard for my money so im allowed to treat my self once and a while.
My experience with beIN and their app has been very different.

As a paid subscriber their streams have sometimes been so poor (or even on occasions non-existent) that they have forced me to use a free pirated stream that was of top notch quality. Having paid the rights holder top dollar and having had them fail to deliver an acceptable service, they suffered no economic loss but I suffered a lot of aggravation.
Obed is offline  
post #83 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-13, 09:53 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,485
Well that totally depends on where you get your feed from, do you get it directly from BEIN ie: BEIN CONNECT? or do you get it from your service provider such as Rogers, Bell, Shaw, Telus? I get mine from my service provider so I use their app on my phone/tablet and tune into the channel and it looks great
17671 is offline  
post #84 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-13, 10:00 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 32
There are plenty of things on an Android box not available here, including a lot of International channels, and other stations like ESPN and FS1/2 (and no, I don't want to watch re-hashed things via TSN or SN).
Gentleman and emmy1500 like this.
Westcoasting is offline  
post #85 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-13, 10:32 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Catharines (Cogeco country!)
Posts: 31
Re: bev fans's....."what content is not available in Canada"?

Well.....two thirds of Netflix US's content lineup, for ONE thing.

Any other un-informed questions? (No offense intended...but you must be an American and are assuming (as many Americans do) that everything in the rest of the world is the same as it is in the US of A.)
Uncle Scotty is offline  
post #86 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-13, 11:05 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasting View Post
There are plenty of things on an Android box not available here, including a lot of International channels, and other stations like ESPN and FS1/2 (and no, I don't want to watch re-hashed things via TSN or SN).
Don't waste your time. He doesn't get it and never will. Just because he enjoys the TV that Bell overcharges him for doesn't mean everyone else does.

He has lots of sanctimonius posts the last few days about having morals like all good catholics and crap like that.

I personally would gladly sign up for those stations you mentioned along with many others, but they are not allowed in our protectionist telecom industry as the media companies no they can't compete against real competition.

Which has zero to do with the discussion of eliminating Simsubs completely which has helped push some people to alternate means like netflix or for some people Android TV boxes.

It's time the canadian media companies learn how to compete like other businesses do. If they offered a product at a fair price would be fine, but It's all about gouging the customer. Always has been.

For too many years they have been allowed to live under protectionist regulations in the. telecom industry.

Other than the CBC, all the other networks are slaves to US programming. They say it's to help fund canadian programming, but most of the canadian content produced is either realty TV garbage or news.

Try creating good Canadian made dramas that people will watch for once instead of constantly whining about the slightest bit of competition you might face in your CRTC created monopoly.

Worse thing the CRTC ever allowed was for local stations to be bought up by the bell's and roger's of the media world. it's been a downhill slide ever since as the only company incentive is too make profits for shareholders.

Just another Bell shill on these boards, must be a shareholder.
kcbrk32, Gentleman and Voodoocobra like this.

Last edited by emmy1500; 2017-02-13 at 11:36 AM.
emmy1500 is online now  
post #87 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-13, 03:38 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Catharines (Cogeco country!)
Posts: 31
[QUOTE=Paolo;2880778]


Paolo....don't hold back.....say what you mean.......you did a pretty good job of calling that guy a dumb thief!! LOL
Uncle Scotty is offline  
post #88 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-13, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
Re: bev fans's....."what content is not available in Canada"?

Well.....two thirds of Netflix US's content lineup, for ONE thing.

Any other un-informed questions? (No offense intended...but you must be an American and are assuming (as many Americans do) that everything in the rest of the world is the same as it is in the US of A.)
Well, Netflix has different content for each country where it is available so I do not know what's your point. This is how competition works. To have access to American Netflix you would basically have to move to the states if you feel that you have to have it.
I would still like to hear some examples of content that is available in USA but not available in Canada by legal means.

I am not American and love Canada the way it is, and do not need the American way of life interfere in every aspect of my life.
bev fan is offline  
post #89 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-13, 04:43 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fort Erie, ON
Posts: 1,174
Did you know that The Source electronics stores are owned by Bell? The big mega-media conglomerate Bell?

Next time you need batteries, or a new HDMI cable, just go in the store and take one without paying. Bell is so big that it's OK to steal from them...

Wait...you don't want to steal from Bell's The Source stores, but it is OK to steal programming they legally paid for to resell to you?

What's the difference?

And if The Source doesn't sell eggs and milk, is it OK to steal it from another store because it is unavailable at The Source? Why is it OK with TV shows, movies, and sporting events?
bev fan likes this.
Inglewood is offline  
post #90 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-02-13, 05:03 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,485
Inglewood, great example, people will always be two faced and resort to name calling and accusing us of being a shill or employee or stake holder simply because we do not believe in obtaining something for free that costs money. I could care less if the stuff you want is available or not in canada and it still inexcusable reason to do such.
A lot of people will still choose to watch stuff with illegal kodi plugins, and let them, like I said earlier, these people will resort to name calling and acusing people of working as insiders just because I learned to PAY for things I want. Sounds stupid but thats the way life works so Im done arguing with people on here. If you want to make fun of me again, go talk to a wall
Inglewood likes this.
17671 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome