Sale of Android boxes To Obtain "Free TV" Is Now Illegal In Canada. - Page 51 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

605Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #751 of 788 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
ISPs also know what IP addresses are for VPNs designed to hide this type of traffic - your ISP may not know exactly what you are doing, but just having a VPN that is supplied/advertised for this purpose is suspicious most of the time these days. Most personal internet users that are using the internet for legal content don't usually get a VPN.
Yeah, but many people suggest using a VPN when accessing public Wifi hotspots. I'm sure that there are plenty of people who forget to turn off their VPN on their laptop/tablet/phone when the get home after using public Wifi.
Gentleman likes this.

Last edited by 57; 2019-05-13 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Quote Syntax Fixed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 788 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
ISPs also know what IP addresses are for VPNs designed to hide this type of traffic - your ISP may not know exactly what you are doing, but just having a VPN that is supplied/advertised for this purpose is suspicious most of the time these days. Most personal internet users that are using the internet for legal content don't usually get a VPN.
Maybe most don't, but some definitely do. And since they can't really tell if you are or you aren't, it doesn't tell them much of anything useful.
Gentleman likes this.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #753 of 788 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 04:24 PM
Veteran

I use a VPN just about all the time for phone and tablet. It's all legal use.
Gentleman likes this.

post #754 of 788 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 05:15 PM
Veteran

True these service(IPTV & add on's) maybe be illegal, but what they offer to a consumer is very tempting especially what the offer for either "free" or about $20/month from
anywhere from 1,000 channels(various english IE US,Canada,UK,Australian to ethnic channels from their original countries)to 8,000+ channels. As an example a IPTV service called Nitro carries over 8,000 channel from English/French to various ethnic services. IE Arabic over 1,000 channels US over 300 Canada over 200 channel ON Demand over 32,000+ titles, 24/7 series of TV shows both retro & present 200+ TV Setries, over 100+ movie channel US,Canada Sky movie channels, etc.

For only $20/month or $30/month for 3 devices.

Yes its illegal, but ILLEGAL!! SMIGAL!! for $20-$30 per month this is extremely tempting for individuals to buy.

I'm not saying it right all I'm saying people simply don't care, and they'll buy it regardless of the consequence that might result from purchasing it.

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #755 of 788 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 07:46 PM

I know it has been said before, but worth repeating.

If you want to combat piracy, offer the content viewers want at a fair price!

If the CRTC had opened up the marketplace to U.S. BDU's during the satellite piracy years, I contend that piracy wouldn't be an issue for the most part today. Account stacking still exists, so why not open the marketplace and let consumers choose?
andrew.r, kcbrk32 and emmy1500 like this.

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
post #756 of 788 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 08:05 PM
Veteran

I'm not condoning piracy, but... I'm also sick and tired of broadcasters that overcharge for programming that doesn't get delivered on time, is incomplete or is constantly disrupted by needless promos and don't offer reasonable ways of catching up on missed episodes. Add to that, BDUs that overcharge for defective and badly designed hardware, constantly downgrade packages and then turn around and overcharge consumers for getting back services that were arbitrarily were taken away. The way these companies act borders on a con game that one would expect from a carnival sideshow, not Canada's leading companies.
post #757 of 788 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 09:57 PM

what piss me off the most is that they charge you for the American networks like nbc abc cbs and fox but won't let you watch those stations when a Canadian provider shows the same programming because the Canadian channel takes them over.i hate ctv the most because they have the balls to say that it's there programming like they produced it but they had no work in producing 90% of there programming at all.thanks bell for screwing up the Canadian broadcast system and holding every Canadian hostage while laughing all the way to the bank.the usa networks should all be free because when we really want to watch them we can't.too many Canadian are sick and tired about all the bull rogers and bell put us threw that's the main reason Canadians seek there tv else where,
kcbrk32, Gentleman and emmy1500 like this.
post #758 of 788 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 11:44 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
@heans , I have a few comments/corrections.

1. Simsubs are mandated by the CRTC and are not the fault of the BDUs. The BDUs must follow those instructions of the Canadian Broadcasters.
2. CTV does pay for the Canadian rights for that programming. Yes, CTV is owned by Bell now, however, it was the same before Bell ownership and it's the same for other Canadian Channels.
3. The US networks (ABC, NBC, etc) are available for free OTA, sorry if you can't pick them up due to distance, but a huge percentage of Canadians can, even the thieves.

@Everyone: The people who steal programming's major interest is usually not the regular programming, but rather the premium programming, like movies, etc, which is not inexpensive anywhere. If you can't afford a certain car, or don't want to pay for one, you're not allowed to steal it, or pay a low price for a stolen one. There's nothing that justifies that theft. Even though the BDUs make a profit, there's no way the price is going to go from $75-150/mo to $0-30/month.
NeilN, Dr.Dave, DSgamby and 1 others like this.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #759 of 788 (permalink) Old 2019-05-14, 11:11 AM

While I agree with your comments in general and I don't condone piracy, I think a little history might be worthwhile to show why piracy exists.

Back in the day, I was able to watch every Toronto Maple Leafs game without "additional" costs. The CBC carried HNIC and when Global TV was born, Global carried all the weeknight Leafs games. Same for MLB and NFL. You could catch almost any MLB or NFL game on network television. Low and behold those leagues were profitable back then without the twinkle of TSN in Ted Roger's eye.

Then along came, I'll call him, Mr. Greed. The BDUs figured out how to make an amazing return on investment by taking pro sports out of the public domain and into the hands of private corporations. Today my sports viewing consists of HNIC (streamed on CBC's flimsy platform), the rare televised NFL game on U.S. networks, or my subscription to MLB.TV. Honestly, I cannot afford any other sports subscriptions as I'm now retired but unfortunately, have the time now to follow sports more closely.

The way I see this is eventually the cost for these services will be out of reach to most Canadians. A recent report from Stats Can showed that almost half of Canadians are only $200 a month shy of insolvency doesn't bode well either.

The demand is there for these services. They just need to be priced competitively so most Canadians can afford them. Otherwise piracy will never cease.

Cheers,
emmy1500 likes this.

post #760 of 788 (permalink) Old 2019-05-14, 11:19 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman View Post
While I agree with your comments in general and I don't condone piracy, I think a little history might be worthwhile to show why piracy exists.

Back in the day...
...back in the day there was one hockey game per week on Saturday night. If, however, you wish to watch many more games per week, or have your choice of games, you'll need to pay for that privilege. Things change and that change is no excuse to steal TV.
DSgamby likes this.

post #761 of 788 (permalink) Old 2019-05-14, 11:42 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Then along came, I'll call him, Mr. Greed. ...
It's the sports leagues and franchises that put the greed name into pro sports. They charge huge fees to broadcasters and BDUs who must turn around and try to pay for those rights. They cannot do it with OTA stations and networks alone due to falling advertising revenue. A lot of the current day sports programming options were not available "back in the day." Things like season passes were not available and there were not enough channels to carry the dozens of sports channels that are currently available.

What irks me the most is that BDUs put dozens of sports channels into their standard packages. Some of them are the most expensive in terms of wholesale prices and they inflate the cost of BDU services dramatically. Since BDUs often also own sports teams and clearly stand to profit from forcing all subscribers to take sports channels, whether they want them or not, is clearly a conflict of interest that harms consumers. Even so, the CRTC and other regulators fail to address the issue directly. It's little wonder that consumers are looking for an alternative.

Sports celebrities that hold out for 7 figure contracts don't help the pricing issue. The money has to be raised somehow and that's by charging high prices for game tickets and TV programming.
kcbrk32, Dr.Dave, DSgamby and 1 others like this.
post #762 of 788 (permalink) Old 2019-05-14, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
Sports celebrities that hold out for 7 figure contracts don't help the pricing issue. The money has to be raised somehow and that's by charging high prices for game tickets and TV programming.
There's the real issue for sports. Some contracts are now 8 and 9 figures, which is ridiculous. Unfortunately, there are enough people willing to pay exorbitant prices for game tickets, even paying scalpers more (or high-end TV options), which ruins it for others. When something gets to the price point which is higher than I wish to pay, I don't watch, but I don't steal either.

post #763 of 788 (permalink) Old 2019-05-14, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
...back in the day there was one hockey game per week on Saturday night.
Correct if you go back to the "Original six". However with league expansion, Global carried every weeknight leafs game. I was overjoyed when the Global Paris transmitter was put into service.

My point is, which seems to have been missed is that personal incomes have not kept up with the rising costs of living. At some point, people look for less costly options and unfortunately, piracy is one of them.

post #764 of 788 (permalink) Old 2019-05-14, 12:28 PM

The leagues/teams charge what the broadcasters are willing to pay. The players (who are the product) should be getting their fair share of that. Don't think for a second that if every player on (for example) the Montreal Canadiens took a 50% pay cut that ticket prices or rights fees would decline by a single penny. Here in Canada, the rise of rights fees can be directly correlated to competition between Bell and Rogers to fuel their premium cable channels, and the leagues and teams are only too happy to play along, because why wouldn't they?
emmy1500 likes this.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #765 of 788 (permalink) Old 2019-05-14, 12:49 PM

By far the highest monthly bill I have is with Bell and no it is not Hydro.

They are now not willing to provide any incentives/loyalty programs and the "Loyalty Department" no longer exists where you could reach out and talk about possible discounts. Now it has been extended to each employee who answers your phone call who is now "loyalty program trained" and they simply state we have nothing available at the moment ... for you. Or tell you to go to My Bell to see if there is any offer available and there never is for existing customers. Great training!!

The logical cut for me would be TV since it would provide a significant saving and I watch very little TV and could not care for the majority of the specialty channels even if they were offered for free. Then there is the home phone which is convenient except it calls back often when you hang up and this is almost making me cancel and go to cell phone.

Then we haven Internet which can be had from many ISPs at reasonable price. Bell offers an insignificant discount for downgrade to a significantly reduced speed.

Internet provides endless content and viewing whether it be YouTube or whatever else you find or choose. So as they lose customers who downgrade or cancel it does not work out well for those who pay and pay we do.
Gentleman and emmy1500 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in