Sale of Android boxes To Obtain "Free TV" Is Now Illegal In Canada. - Page 49 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

591Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #721 of 773 (permalink) Old 2018-10-30, 11:37 PM
Veteran

Maybe I should have bolded "shared by Shaw, Rogers, and Bell"?
Gentleman and metalhawk like this.

--
Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 773 (permalink) Old 2018-10-31, 12:33 AM

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...erboardfbcaads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #723 of 773 (permalink) Old 2018-10-31, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Joe View Post
yay!! so the big telecom companies in Canada now have their own private Geheime Staatspolizei (Gestapo) soon every Canadian who has ever downloaded Kodi / used a VPN or has bittorrent client installed will have Robelus gestapo breaking down their door.

so, piracy is hurting Canadian companies producing content? the following says different
The Case Against the Bell Coalition's Website Blocking Plan, Part 3: Piracy Having Little Impact on Thriving Digital Services and TV Production - Michael Geist

"If the standard the CRTC is to consider involves support for Canadian content production, the situation has never been better. Canadian content production hit an all-time high last year at $3.3 billion, rising by 16.1%. "

"Notably, the increased expenditures do not come from broadcasters, who lead on the website blocking proposal and whose relevance continues to diminish year-by-year. In fact, the private broadcasters (led by Bell) now contribute only 11% of the total financing for English-language television production. Their contribution is nearly half of what it was just three years ago (now standing at $236 million) in an industry that is growing."

Robelus, continues to give us less content for high cost to consumers. No wonder more and more are cord reducing / cutting. Nothing to do with piracy.

"Online video services, which the Bell coalition suggests are harmed by streaming sites, are experiencing rapidly expanding revenues, now generating more than $1 billion per year. In fact, two Canadian online video services – CraveTV and Club illico – are estimated to have earned $373 million last year, up from just $13 million four years earlier."

"That is not a market where digital business models can’t succeed due to piracy. Rather, the data confirms Canadians’ willingness to pay for well-priced, convenient services, which has presumably prompted CBS to expand its streaming service to Canada, following on Amazon’s recent streaming video entry. Record earnings, a top tier global ranking for subscribers, and new market entrants are the sign of a thriving market, not one struggling to survive due to claims of piracy."
Gentleman and emmy1500 like this.

post #724 of 773 (permalink) Old 2018-10-31, 02:35 PM

"Record earnings, a top tier global ranking for subscribers, and new market entrants are the sign of a thriving market, not one struggling to survive due to claims of piracy"

Netflix just borrowed US$1.8 Billion to get through 2018, and owes over US$30 Billion. Doesn't sound like a thriving company to me. They may have record earnings, but also record debt and no profit.

I'm sure they would like every $ they can get that they are losing to piracy...

Does any streaming service turn a profit? I can't find one...
bev fan likes this.
post #725 of 773 (permalink) Old 2018-10-31, 02:51 PM
Veteran

Piracy or not, Netflix is burning through cash due to rapid expansion and an extremely aggressive content production schedule. They are expected to spend $12-13 billion on new original programming for 2018. They could cut that back by a few billion and make a profit but they choose not to. The loss is part of their business plan. Get back to me when Canadian broadcasters decide to spend $12 billion on new, original programming in one year.

Netflix Is Expected to Spend up to $13 Billion on Original Programming This Year
Gentleman, emmy1500 and metalhawk like this.
post #726 of 773 (permalink) Old 2018-10-31, 03:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
Netflix just borrowed US$1.8 Billion to get through 2018, and owes over US$30 Billion. Doesn't sound like a thriving company to me. They may have record earnings, but also record debt and no profit
Don't forget it took Amazon more than a decade to post any meaningful profits. https://www.recode.net/2018/2/1/1696...-2017-earnings Heavily investing to gain market share and earnings may not work for many companies but when it does, the financial rewards can be huge.

--
Neil
post #727 of 773 (permalink) Old 2018-11-01, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
Does any streaming service turn a profit? I can't find one...
The major sports streaming services are extremely profitable. As are many of the services offered by other providers who were already creating content, like CBS All Access and HBO Now.

As mentioned though, companies like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon are playing a different game. They're burning money because they're in growth mode, and the idea is that one day they switch to revenue mode and they start making money. Amazon (on its retail business) is the best example of this, but most tech companies (for example Facebook) followed this model. You need the growth because then when you switch to revenue you have an much, much larger install base to draw on.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #728 of 773 (permalink) Old 2018-11-01, 01:23 PM

Canada is piracy haven? data says otherwise

The Case Against the Bell Coalition's Website Blocking Plan, Part 2: Weak Evidence on the State of Canadian Piracy - Michael Geist

last paragraph

"None of this data is meant to justify infringing activity. However, claims that Canada is a piracy haven are not supported by the data. If anything, the data supports the view that Canadians are rapidly shifting away from unauthorized sites toward legal alternatives as better, more convenient choices come into the market."
Gentleman and emmy1500 like this.
post #729 of 773 (permalink) Old 2018-11-01, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Not necessarily true as more people are switching from torrent downloads and Kodi to pirate IPTV services.
https://www.flowjournal.org/2018/03/iptv-piracy/
post #730 of 773 (permalink) Old 2018-11-01, 10:53 PM
Veteran

^^^ As usual, nothing to back up your rebuttal except your say-so. Blintok provided a link discussing Canadians. You did not.
emmy1500, metalhawk and Allan B like this.

--
Neil
post #731 of 773 (permalink) Old 2018-11-02, 11:35 AM

@NeilN . Thanks, that is pretty much what i was going to say. His proof talked about everywhere BUT Canada.

example is in my link that even with blocking, the putlocker site usage for the UK and Australia is higher than in Canada.

"For example, putlocker.is identified by MUSO as a sample streaming site. Indeed, the site is on the blocklist in both Australia and the United Kingdom (both established through court rulings, not the administrative process envisioned by the Bell coalition). SimilarWeb has the latest data for site visits to Putlocker.is with Canada ranking below both Australia and the UK as a traffic source, despite inclusion on a blocklist in the latter two countries. Canada is also declining faster as a traffic source than Australia, the UK, and the United States (which is easily the top source of traffic)."

Piracy is down in Canada according to this https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300082007.html

"In under 13 weeks CEG TEK has effected massive changes in the Canadian market on behalf of our clients. Peer-to-peer (P2P) piracy of our clients' content have dropped by the following amounts:

Bell Canada - 69.6% decrease
Telus Communications - 54.0% decrease
Shaw Communications - 52.1% decrease
TekSavvy Solutions - 38.3% decrease
Rogers Cable - 14.9% decrease"

wondering if they are getting their "facts" from the duplicitous liars at Bell? for example

"In 2016, Bell told cabinet that its scale of investment in fibre would be affected by a CRTC decision even as a company executive told a business audience that Bellís plan was to eliminate their copper network altogether. Indeed, then-chair Jean-Pierre Blais noticed it too:

Oddly enough, as they were saying one thing to us about slowing down investments, they were having a completely different dialogue with the investors and saying quite the opposite. I donít know what they think we read and donít read, but Iíve got some very, very smart people working for me at the CRTC and we read investor reports, we read whatís in the news, we know whatís happening. So it goes straight to credibility when you make arguments in front of us one day and take a completely different position when youíre in an investor or shareholder call."

Sending a Different Message: After Bell Website Blocking Coalition Warns About Cord Cutting, Bell CEO Says It Isn't Accelerating - Michael Geist
post #732 of 773 (permalink) Old 2018-11-02, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Providing information from a 3 year old article I would not call it accurate.
Especially to dispute the link that I have included in my previous post.
post #733 of 773 (permalink) Old 2018-11-02, 05:06 PM

Fellas, I wouldn't pay any more attention to bev fan as it should be obvious he is shilling for one of the major BDU's in this country.

I put him on my ignore list and voila, no more bev fan.
emmy1500, metalhawk and Allan B like this.

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
post #734 of 773 (permalink) Old 2018-11-02, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Actually you are wrong. I have been a cord cutter for about 6 months now and don’t have any favourite BDU’s on my list.
Anyone with the best price and support will have my business.
You are more than welcome to ignore my posts but I will continue to post piracy related topics regardless of your opinion.
On the other hand I think that you are keeping a close eye on my posts since you send likes to every poster that criticizes me.

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/c...rvices-canada/

Last edited by bev fan; 2018-11-02 at 09:18 PM.
post #735 of 773 (permalink) Old 2019-05-09, 05:26 PM

Internet TV boxes

A friend of ours purchased a box from a company called diablo iptv. They offer over 1000 channels for $25 per month including all Canadian regular and specialty channels.

Has anyone heard of them and what is the legal status of such operations?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in