Sale of Android boxes To Obtain "Free TV" Is Now Illegal In Canada. - Page 34 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

606Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #496 of 793 (permalink) Old 2018-04-09, 12:56 AM
Veteran

While looking for IPTV services in Canada, I ran across a site that had their own app and charged a monthly subscription fee. It looked like a legitimate IPTV operation and had a professional looking web page. The only thing that gave it away was the price they charged for what they were offering. All I can say is subscribing to a service like that would be risky. They might be honest...cough...but would I trust them enough to install their app and provide them with financial information for payments. It's too easy for apps to steal personal information on Android. I don't trust even legitimate companies to keep my financial information safe. I've had my credit card info leaked several times times after providing it for purchases and I've been overcharged as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #497 of 793 (permalink) Old 2018-04-09, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackloz View Post
I think this will be going on long after Kodi. I was talking to the guy at my work who loads Android boxes that people buy themselves. I asked him how it was going for him and he said better than ever. I then asked him about Kodi and he said he mainly doesn’t even use it anymore. He said it was good for its day but mostly unreliable these days. He said his new program absolutely kills Kodi. I didn’t even bother to ask what it was but he said hook these boxes up to a vpn for extra security and you are all set. He must have had a box of 10 or more on his desk to take home and load. I don’t think this is going to stop anytime soon. People just don’t care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, it will not stop anytime soon because it is all about the money.

https://torrentfreak.com/piracy-mone...nymore-180408/
post #498 of 793 (permalink) Old 2018-04-09, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackloz View Post
I then asked him about Kodi and he said he mainly doesn’t even use it anymore. He said it was good for its day but mostly unreliable these days. He said his new program absolutely kills Kodi. I didn’t even bother to ask what it was
Probably Terrarium.

"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don’t need it"

post #499 of 793 (permalink) Old 2018-04-10, 11:09 AM

It's getting to the point where there are almost 100 illegal options, and impossible to find the legal options online - even using Google to search for them.

I was looking for a feed for a car race this weekend, and I had to scroll through pages on Google of illegal feeds to find the legal option...and Google supposedly is "not" including illegal sites in their search results.

The pirates look like they are winning by overwhelming the legal options.
post #500 of 793 (permalink) Old 2018-04-10, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Very true, just check Kijiji. But unlike legal option, pirate options could disappear soon once Bell and Rogers have their way by blocking infringing web sites.
https://torrentfreak.com/not-all-can...ocking-180406/

It already has been introduced in many countries.
https://torrentfreak.com/mpa-reveals...ocking-180410/
Inglewood likes this.

Last edited by bev fan; 2018-04-10 at 07:25 PM.
post #501 of 793 (permalink) Old 2018-04-10, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
...and Google supposedly is "not" including illegal sites in their search results.
Think again. Why tech giants like Google want to make sure Canadians can keep stealing entertainment | Financial Post

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
post #502 of 793 (permalink) Old 2018-04-15, 07:13 PM

I think the Internet is just reshaping things whether we like it or not.Some call it illegal,piracy and even stealing.Some also claim that the stores that are closing because of online shopping where one will only pay GST and saves money is also stealing?
The other day I asked my Daughter in Montreal if she would like to have me install OTA for her.I told her she would get lots of channels.She replied,'no,i'm good,got all I need on the net with my laptop".I didn't reply OMG are you stealing T.V from illegal sites?
Back in the Day,to steal a Cable signal you would have to go up a latter and literally connect your cable to a connection junction.Now that was stealing!If you were caught doing it,you knew that you were a roasted chicken!
I am just fed up with Some calling hard working honest people,Pirates,Stealing and other similar terms when it comes down with alternative ways of watching T.V.It is moving so fast with the net that most folks think that saving money with cheaper T.V is like saving money when Long distance companies starting competing with Bell at a fraction of the cost!
Gentleman likes this.
post #503 of 793 (permalink) Old 2018-04-15, 08:55 PM

Its also somewhat like Music.Back then we would buy Vinyls and cassettes,sometimes we would have to buy the same LP or Cassette again because the cassette film would get caught in the cassette rollers or the LP would get ruined by falling to the floor.The music industry benefited by this because you would pay double copyrights!Then came along MP3 sharing which reshaped things again.Was it legal or not,some claimed peer to peer was not illegal.
Anyhow nowadays when I want to hear a song,I just go on Youtube and punch in the song.It plays better then an old jukebox and its free!Voila,is it legal to play a song from Youtube without paying copyrights????
Gentleman and Inglewood like this.
post #504 of 793 (permalink) Old 2018-04-15, 09:53 PM
Veteran

A lot of it is company spin. When Sony was making a fortune selling VCRs they said it was OK to record TV. Then Sony bought a studio and claimed that recording TV was stealing. (They lost that case.) Similar things have happened with photocopiers, cassette tapes, CD recorders, DVRs/PVRs and now the internet. Unless you are selling or distributing illegally copied material it's not a crime in most countries, it's a copyright violation. Some countries don't recognize copyrights so it's perfectly legal.
Gentleman likes this.
post #505 of 793 (permalink) Old 2018-04-16, 04:56 PM

Do you remember when a levy was charged on blank CD’s and DVD’s because people were copying to them? Well maybe that should be removed now, as I copy everything to a Harddrive or To The Cloud now.....lol
post #506 of 793 (permalink) Old 2018-04-17, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

According to Economic Development Minister Canada has the toughest anti-piracy laws in the world.
I guess all those cheap $15 a month IPTV services sold on every corner in GTA must be legal.
Silly me paying about $60 a month for a fraction of channels that are available on those IPTV services.

Canada's Tough Anti-Piracy Copyright Law: Federal Court Awards Millions in Damages Against Unauthorized Streaming Site - Michael Geist
wildwillie likes this.
post #507 of 793 (permalink) Old 2018-04-17, 10:57 AM

They are also widely being sold on Ebay.Ebay enforces a Policy of not selling illegal products/services.
post #508 of 793 (permalink) Old 2018-04-17, 12:49 PM

With this geo blocking beginning , we will soon be set to our own country, and not allowed to surf anywhere else,
post #509 of 793 (permalink) Old 2018-04-17, 04:13 PM

"Anything man can make, man can break".

Like the world's oldest profession, I doubt piracy will ever be eradicated. However as has been said in the past, if you want to stem the rate of piracy, give the public the content it desires, at a fair price.

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
post #510 of 793 (permalink) Old 2018-04-17, 06:17 PM
Veteran

I agree. It's like any type of theft. People are going to steal and break other laws if they can, regardless of the consequences. It's human nature. The answer is to make people feel like there is no need to pirate TV and movies and to remove incentives for distributors of pirated products.

Quote:
According to Economic Development Minister Canada has the toughest anti-piracy laws in the world.
That's because Canada's piracy laws target distributors of pirated material, not consumers. If the distributors are shut down, the problem would go away. Waging a "war on piracy" by locking up everyone who commits a minor infraction, is likely to be about as successful as the "war on drugs." In the long run it would be counterproductive and result in negative outcomes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in