Sale of Android boxes To Obtain "Free TV" Is Now Illegal In Canada. - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

604Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 788 (permalink) Old 2016-07-11, 11:12 PM

Hmm, looks like his company is in the clear?

Just trying to remove that damn setup progress bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 788 (permalink) Old 2016-07-12, 04:51 PM

I saw Red Rhino selling android boxes at the Calgary Stampede on the weekend.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #33 of 788 (permalink) Old 2016-07-13, 08:38 AM
Veteran

I have in the past, at many shows, markets, etc.. seen the guys selling units there.

With the latest injunction.. it may be harder for them to sell ONLINE.. where they could more easily be stopped then.
(or at min, forced to remove any mention of the illegal stuff).

With selling thing LIVE at places.. it would be much harder to be everywhere at once.. for people to be everywhere to stop them from selling.

Even if they have been forced to make sure that their boxes DONT come with the stuff on it...
Especially in a live environment... its very easy to SAY/Mention something without having any literature..
Slip you a little piece of paper with a link to somewhere else..
With a lot less likelyness of getting caught.

As well, while those companies are the ones being targeted.. all the 'shutdown' type of stuff may not have been fully actioned against them yet?
Trying to get a rush in of last minute sales, before they are.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha

post #34 of 788 (permalink) Old 2016-11-26, 02:15 PM

I find it amazing that with the supreme court ruling that makes it illegal to import these boxes with the software preinstalled big companies like AMAZON.CA are allowed to get away with selling them yet everyone else has the law coming down on them like a ton of bricks. it seems that the power of money and buying power of someone like AMAZON can get away with it
post #35 of 788 (permalink) Old 2016-11-26, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Well, Amazon does not sell boxes with add ons which is illegal. I do not really see the law coming down on anybody.
Here in GTA many stores sell android boxes not only with add ons but iptv subscription with hundreds of Canadian, American and international channels.
Advertising it in front of the stores. All for $10 to $15 a month.
You can check Kijiji as well, hundreds of adds for iptv service, no wonder cord cutting has escalated.

Last edited by bev fan; 2016-11-26 at 08:53 PM.
post #36 of 788 (permalink) Old 2016-11-28, 10:23 AM
AFF

I don't think Amazon sells any Android boxes. Amazon is like a big mall with stores in it. It's the stores that sell the boxes and some are fully loaded already.
post #37 of 788 (permalink) Old 2016-12-17, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenmindsk View Post
I find it amazing that with the supreme court ruling that makes it illegal to import these boxes with the software preinstalled...
Just to clarify things, the case has not reached the Supreme Court. If you read the rest of the thread, you'll see that the only thing that has happened so far is that the Federal Court has issued an injunction to stop certain vendors from selling the boxes with software preinstalled. That case hasn't even gone to trial yet. After that case is decided, the losing party may appeal to the Supreme Court.

I just checked the status of the case (T-759-16) and saw that MTLFREETV.COM was ordered to pay a $15,000 fine today for contempt of court for ignoring the injunction plus $10,000 in costs to Bell, Rogers and Videotron.

It looks like a few more sellers have been added to the case, which has not gone to trial yet.

Recorded entry(ies) for T-759-16
post #38 of 788 (permalink) Old 2017-01-02, 08:21 AM

cable are the real pirates

maybe if cable companies were not molesting peoples wallets people would not cut their cable and get these boxes. i deal with cogeco cable and i am thinking about getting on the band wagon cable companies are ripping people off. i often use the android box as a threat when i get into a stint with cogeco.
Wheelman likes this.
post #39 of 788 (permalink) Old 2017-01-02, 10:00 AM

What makes it illegal? I heard new iOS got TV on it. So is it going to be like "iOS 10.2 is illegal?" :P
post #40 of 788 (permalink) Old 2017-01-02, 11:03 AM
Veteran

1) Cable is not a basic human need. If you think the price is too high, don't buy it and don't use it as an excuse to commit copyright infringement.

2) Android boxes like this are specifically configured to access unlicensed copyrighted content. You can bet that whatever Apple puts out, it'll only be configured to access properly licensed content.

--
Neil
post #41 of 788 (permalink) Old 2017-01-02, 11:16 AM
Veteran

@NeilN

Thats one thing that i completely agree with. While I still agree that the price it too high in most cases.. people have to remember that most of these things are EXTRAs. You dont need it to survive. Pay for what your capable for. If you really want specific things, you may have to pay for them.

There are 100 if not 1000s of devices, which can access completely legal TV content, sometimes even live depending on what that content is. Many are from direct apps from the channel itself, not requiring a cable sub, etc.

Even most android boxes and kodi right out of the box, are set up to access LEGAL content.
Its the specific apps, that need to be loaded on it, that access the illegaly uploaded content.

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #42 of 788 (permalink) Old 2017-01-02, 03:02 PM

Jishan

The TV app in ios 10.2/tvOS ?? is just a way of having the Apple TV device become a hub for all the other streaming services with the exception of Netflix IIRC and the TV app is not available in Canada. Nothing illegal about it, it still requires a subscription to any of the services it is acting as a hub for.

LONSat
post #43 of 788 (permalink) Old 2017-01-05, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilN View Post
1) Cable is not a basic human need. If you think the price is too high, don't buy it and don't use it as an excuse to commit copyright infringement.
I agree with you. However Internet is becoming increasingly a basic need and the TV provider and internet provider are one and the same. They keep ripping us off with ridiculous internet prices. So stick it to them as much as you please I say!

Just trying to remove that damn setup progress bar.
post #44 of 788 (permalink) Old 2017-01-06, 12:00 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Your idea to "stick it to them" is not properly directed. The service providers are rarely the content providers (although in some cases they are, but that's not what's usually pirated - it's usually movies or TV series).

If everyone didn't pay, nothing would be produced, so you're actually harming the people who are legitimate and paying because the content providers end up charging more because of piracy. I'm one of those people who dislikes pirates who try to legitimize theft in some way because they want to decide what something's worth, rather than paying the asking price, or not buying.

People don't walk into a store and steal oranges because the price of oranges is $2.00/lb. They either buy fewer oranges, or don't eat oranges. If they do steal oranges, they are thieves, pure and simple.
DSgamby and bev fan like this.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #45 of 788 (permalink) Old 2017-01-06, 05:34 AM

I understand your point that the major internet providers are also the same TV providers that have been ripping us off for years. But the best and legal way to stick it to them is to use an alternate internet provider (Teksavvy/Netfox/whatever). I totally agree with 57 that theft is theft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in