Sale of Android boxes To Obtain "Free TV" Is Now Illegal In Canada. - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

591Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 773 (permalink) Old 2016-06-15, 12:04 AM
Veteran

It's only the pirating add-ons and the sites that stream pirated programming that are illegal. Android boxes and Kodi without the pirating add-ons are legal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 773 (permalink) Old 2016-06-15, 08:52 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike10 View Post
Boxes that run Android OS are not the same as boxes that run the Android TV OS like the Nvidia shield or the new sony TV's
So the court knows the distinction? They are that sharp when it comes to technology?

Besides, nothing stops anyone from doing the exact same with the Shield, Nexus Player or Sony TVs. They can run Kodi as well. That's why I asked. This is a certain combination of softwares that are at issue.
post #18 of 773 (permalink) Old 2016-06-15, 09:07 AM
Veteran

I think that is where the definition is.. and needs to be made during this.

People SELLING the boxes (making a profit) from re-selling these and putting the addons on (which is what makes it 'illegal' so to speak), is what is the main focus/target of this.. and needs to be.

Going after someone who is completely legally using an Nvidia shield for all regular things? No shouldnt be gone after.

(if a person chooses to add those addons afterwards.. that is their choice..)

GDKitty
Rogers 9865, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Onkyo HT-R690.

post #19 of 773 (permalink) Old 2016-06-15, 09:59 AM

The injunction prevents the companies I listed in post 3 from "selling set-top boxes that are adapted to provide users with unauthorized access to the Plaintiffs' Programs [Pre-loaded Set-top Boxes]" until the trial is over, defined as "set-top boxes preloaded with KODI (and the proper add-ons), Showbox or a private IPTV service".

The judge didn't list the KODI add-ons, but clearly the intent of the add-ons was to provide programming that users weren't legally entitled to watch.

The judge also said they "deliberately encourage consumers and potential clients to circumvent authorized ways of accessing content — say, by a cable subscription or by streaming content from the Plaintiffs' websites — both in the manner in which they promote their business, and by offering tutorials in how to add and use applications which rely on illegally obtained content."

The tutorial part of the discussion is interesting in that someone advertising and selling a bare-bones box and providing tutorials on how to add the applications could possibly be added to the injunction.

Here's the actual court decision from the law firm that represented Bell, Rogers and Videotron (searchable PDF)

http://www.smart-biggar.ca/files/Ord...%202016%29.pdf

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-06-15 at 10:14 AM.
post #20 of 773 (permalink) Old 2016-06-15, 12:44 PM

so if that is right then its easy to get around that. they can just sell a box pre loaded with android and some free legal apps like netflix
post #21 of 773 (permalink) Old 2016-06-15, 01:31 PM

@McPatrick As long as the sellers run a completely clean operation and don't advertise, "induce" or encourage the consumers to bypass legal content. As I said in post 3 - The judge wrote "These boxes have several uses for consumers, some of which are perfectly legal..."

This is a temporary injunction and the final restrictions, if any, will be decided when the case goes to trial.
post #22 of 773 (permalink) Old 2016-06-15, 03:35 PM
Veteran

Problem is without the advertising of getting all that 'free tv' content.. and just say its only for Netflix, etc..
These guys likely are not going to be selling that many of them.

GDKitty
post #23 of 773 (permalink) Old 2016-06-15, 03:50 PM
AFF

I wonder how many buy preloaded boxes compared to buy a box and do it yourself? Everyone I know bought non preloaded boxes.
post #24 of 773 (permalink) Old 2016-06-15, 04:38 PM
asd

Good point, judges aren't likely software engineers. But on the other hand, technologists and software engineers aren't judges nor even, in most cases, lawyers. Moreover, the court has the resources to have such distinctions explained. Judges have the education, intelligence and experience to interpret the information provided to them from technical experts and, more importantly, the opposing lawyers make sure judges know the issues and distinctions.
post #25 of 773 (permalink) Old 2016-06-16, 11:39 AM
Veteran

@AFF

I think it really comes down to the PERSON.

The people I know who have one, who are technical minded? Bought their own box (usually much better quality, etc), and have done any loading themselves.

But everyone else who is not technical minded?
Bought the generic one from someone advertising online, facebook, etc.

GDKitty
post #26 of 773 (permalink) Old 2016-06-16, 05:38 PM
Veteran

Generic Android boxes can be purchased from retailers and etailers such as eBay, Amazon or local stores. They range from almost junk (don't play some video well or at all) that receive almost no support to fairly powerful, well supported devices that handle most video formats. (Recorded ATSC OTA TV video is a good test.) Almost all will support the official version of Kodi and it's variants. I'd recommend a box with at least Android 4.4 or higher. It has significant improvements over earlier versions. Part of the problem with pirate TV boxes, from a consumer viewpoint, is that they may not be the best quality and may not be supported. Installing pirate TV add-ons is not recommended but it's hard to argue against free TV. There are other ways to get TV that are legal, cheap or free and less risky.
post #27 of 773 (permalink) Old 2016-07-04, 09:54 AM

Recent developments: One of the original defendants filed an appeal. Also, 11 new companies and individuals were added to the injunction barring them from selling boxes pre-loaded with piracy software.

Source: Cable companies take more Android box dealers to court to stamp out 'free TV' - CBC News

I checked a couple of weeks ago and only one of the original defendants still had a web site and they were only selling plain Android boxes and a few other things with no mention of "free TV." All the other web sites had been shut down.
post #28 of 773 (permalink) Old 2016-07-04, 02:23 PM

This part is funny. :P

Quote:
He also believes the case is actually working against the plaintiffs because it has made more people aware of the loaded Android boxes and what they offer.

"More people know about it and definitely more people are buying it," he says.

He reports some dealers not named in the case have stripped their websites of any promises of "free TV" and are enjoying increased sales.
I don't remember which thread it was on here but a link was posted about one of these dealers bragging about it. I remember thinking the BDU's won't let this go unchecked and it's incredibly stupid to expose yourself like that.

Just trying to remove that damn setup progress bar.
post #29 of 773 (permalink) Old 2016-07-11, 01:59 PM

Here is the list of eleven additional sellers that have been added as defendants and are not allowed to advertise or sell set top boxes pre-loaded with copyright-infringing software:

A1 INK Rainbow INC.
SKYNET COMPUTERS INC.
SHOWPRO CORPORATION
RED RHINO ENTERTAINEMENT INC.
MORAT ISMET SAMIM dba MAC SPOT
Kamal Malik dba IPTVZOOM
2315807 Ontario Inc. dba ELECTRONICS PRO
TSUYUKI CORPORATION LIMITED dba G&G ELECTRONICS
Al Timini dba TV Box Hero
L3D DISTRIBUTING INC. dba INL3D
2322869 ONTARIO INC. dba OHM COMPUTERS

(dba means "doing business as")

If anyone wants to keep up with developments, you can use this link:
Federal Court of Appeal - Proceeding Queries - Recorded Entries Queries

For "Court Number" you can enter T-759-16 for the original trial or A-203-16 for the appeal. It may take a few days for new entries to be posted to the on-line database.
Wheelman likes this.
post #30 of 773 (permalink) Old 2016-07-11, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
I don't remember which thread it was on here but a link was posted about one of these dealers bragging about it. I remember thinking the BDU's won't let this go unchecked and it's incredibly stupid to expose yourself like that.
I think this is the article. I just checked his web site and he now says he loads Kodi, but not Showbox or any copyright-infringing add-ons.

Free TV for life? It's here, and it may even be legal - CBC News
Wheelman likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in