Sale of Android boxes To Obtain "Free TV" Is Now Illegal In Canada. - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

592Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #151 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-03-21, 04:22 PM

What matters is the content being streamed, not whether it is an android app or an addon for kodi.

My point is about making sure that legal addons are not falsely identified at any time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-03-21, 04:29 PM

There are a ton of "legal" add ons from the Kodi team. This site is from the developers not the pirates.

Kodi Add-On Repository
Gentleman and metalhawk like this.
post #153 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-03-21, 04:44 PM

Hi,

yes here are many legal addons from the Kodi group themselves, some are completely free like PBS, HGTV Canada, Food network canada etc. and some are subscription based like NHL Gamecenter.

Yes, there are more ones that access pirated streams just like there are also legal android apps like Netflix, Amazon video, Crave tv, Ctv go etc. and also ones grabbing pirated content.

Not wading into the morality issue or anything just pointing out that there are plenty of legal addons and apps that work on android boxes. And also work on android phones, tablets and also PC's.

In the end Bell and Rogers will have as much luck as the MPAA and RIAA have had over the years with litigation. The only way to reduce piracy is by offering product at a reasonable price and available on multiple platforms people want to use. Like Netflix, Itunes, hulu, spotify etc., have done.

Unfortunately rather than "Innovate" the media conglomerates here in Canada prefer to 'Litigate" and pretend it is still the 1980's and hope for continued government protection of their monopoly.

Just my humble opinion

Thanks,

Cory

post #154 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-03-21, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obed View Post
Would be helpful if the court made available a list of which pre-loaded add-ons are currently deemed to be "uncontradicted evidence."

It would not surprise me at all if the legal team representing big telcos had included some perfectly legitimate addons in their evidence as well as clearcut uncontradictable pirates.
You don't need a list - reread the quote: "uncontradicted evidence" included "the advertisement that these pre-loaded ... boxes are a way to access free TV content and avoid cable bills."

The defendants never denied that they advertised the boxes that way and the companies tested them and demonstrated that the boxes worked as advertised. They were able to access the content from other than the legally-licensed Canadian sources using the add-ons that the resellers had preloaded.

If you want a list of piracy add-ons, here is a list that the Kodi team put together:
Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons - Official Kodi Wiki
post #155 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-03-21, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto View Post
There are a ton of "legal" add ons from the Kodi team. This site is from the developers not the pirates.

Kodi Add-On Repository
Well, those are legal apps, but were third parties that have developed those streaming add ons authorized to do so by providers.
A lot of them are geoblocked when used by legal means. Having it developed by third parties these add on allow people to use these apps anywhere and I am pretty sure that providers of those apps or links would not authorize third party to redevelop their app as an add on for Kodi.
Most likely even regular apps are not authorized to be on the android player since most of the apps were created for mobile devices only so the more I think about there is not much relevant authorized stuff on android devices at all, except Kodi with no add ons.

Last edited by bev fan; 2017-03-21 at 11:01 PM.
post #156 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-03-22, 09:20 AM

Even if that were true, the beauty of the web is that you don't need authorization to link to a source. This isn't illegal, it's not even a gray area. And beyond that, most of these sources want as many people as possible to watch, but don't have the resources to develop for every platform out there, so they're delighted when someone else makes an add-on that spreads their content.

As for Android apps, you can develop with a specific form factor in mind, but that doesn't mean that you only "authorize" your app to be used on that form factor. In fact, you can limit which form factors are available to install in the Play Store (usually to prevent people from accessing apps that are known to be incompatible with their device), so if they're accessible via an Android TV box, the developer intended them to be.
Gentleman likes this.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #157 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-03-22, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Not true at all, if it was then I should have access to all apps using my Apple Tv4 or Roku, but I don't because there are rights of the products that are involved.
Most of streaming apps that I have on my Ipad or android phone can not be air played to my tv.
If the developers and owners of those apps wanted people to view the video on large screen then they would not try preventing it.
Android devices bypass all that and even bypass geo blocking as well.
It is probably not worth going to court to fight it but it does not mean that all the apps on android media players are authorized to be used that way.
One example would be Amazon Prime. I can view it on my Ipad but can not download it to My Apple TV4 or Roku 3 but Android box miraculously can do all that.

Last edited by bev fan; 2017-03-22 at 11:14 AM.
post #158 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-03-22, 11:31 AM

You don't because those companies have chosen not to expend the resources on developing apps for Apple TV and Roku. And while you can't always airplay (or chromecast) content (usually because developers don't want to expend the resources to make it a good experience), you can always connect your iPad via HDMI. Android TV boxes are essentially screen-less Android tablets connected via HDMI. And in fact, Amazon encourages you to sideload the Prime Video app onto Android devices without Play Store access!

post #159 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-03-22, 01:07 PM
asd

I guess Sony Android smart TVs are also problematic -- Kodi can be installed easily from their official app store. Sony is, after all, a nefarious offshore manufacturer of pirate tools. Boy, do I feel like a "stick it to the man" renegade, when I click on my Sony's Kodi icon. Where's my Jolly Roger bandana? Yes, I'm kidding.
Zank Frappa likes this.
post #160 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-03-22, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
You don't because those companies have chosen not to expend the resources on developing apps for Apple TV and Roku. And while you can't always airplay (or chromecast) content (usually because developers don't want to expend the resources to make it a good experience), you can always connect your iPad via HDMI. Android TV boxes are essentially screen-less Android tablets connected via HDMI.
If we are talking about legitimate services, the developers can block external displays on either platform to enforce mobile-only content licences. Both Shaw and Bell block Airplay and external HDMI on their iOS mobile apps. They also block their Android apps from being used on Android TV boxes. I believe they also block Android external HDMI on mobile devices.
post #161 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-03-22, 07:30 PM

They do have that option, and as far as I'm concerned it's entirely their responsibility to build their apps to enforce that wherever necessary. It's one thing to ask users to ensure that they're accessing from a legitimate source, but it's another thing entirely to ask that users understand the licensing agreements between media creators and distributors.

post #162 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-03-23, 11:47 AM

Please the people who are buying these Andriod boxes know exactly what they are buying and that with a few app/addon/downloads they are watching Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and La La Land without paying. The latter even before it is on VOD or a pay movie channel.

Anyone buying these boxes are thieves and no moral hop scotch that the BDU's are gouging, the CRTC is corrupt, they are in collusion to get us, justifies it. The primary purpose to buy these boxes is to steal content. If you can't afford to rent it, buy it or subscribe to it, you do without it, Plain and Simple!!. Is it a high crime, no but it reveals very low morals, great example for any kids in the household.
faston likes this.

LONSat
post #163 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-03-23, 03:35 PM
Veteran

I would argue that at least partially.

The way that many of the people I have ever ran onto selling the boxes (at flea markets, etc), tend to just push the 'dont have to pay for cable anymore'.. never anything about the legality of it or of the sources.

The few times i have ever asked questions of them (on purpose :P).. oh look, they stop talking to me and make sure i move away from the table.

At least 1/2 the people I have talked to which own these (or have considered getting one), didnt have a clue about how it was actually 'stealing' per say, that grey area legal. They seriously thought that just the carriers were making us pay them for it, when it was actually free and this box was allowing them to view it.

The other 1/2.. well they know, and just didnt care, because it was cheaper :P

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #164 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-03-23, 03:53 PM

I am going to argue partially. I agree that half (probably more) do it 100% knowingly. The rest are being wilfully blind and if you educate this group they are not going to stop either so they move over into the first group. Most people know if it sounds to good to be true ie I can get every pay channel, sporting event, miniseries for free that I should pay someone for, then it is wrong.

LONSat
post #165 of 773 (permalink) Old 2017-03-23, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONSat View Post
Please the people who are buying these Andriod boxes know exactly what they are buying and that with a few app/addon/downloads they are watching Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and La La Land without paying. The latter even before it is on VOD or a pay movie channel.

Anyone buying these boxes are thieves and no moral hop scotch that the BDU's are gouging, the CRTC is corrupt, they are in collusion to get us, justifies it. The primary purpose to buy these boxes is to steal content. If you can't afford to rent it, buy it or subscribe to it, you do without it, Plain and Simple!!. Is it a high crime, no but it reveals very low morals, great example for any kids in the household.
Strange. My android box was purchased from my BDU for the sole purpose of watching paid for, licensed BDU TV.

Guilty secret, sometimes I use it to watch paid for, licensed content on Netflix.
jshel101, Gentleman and emmy1500 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in