Global GO and Chromecast - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-05-14, 12:06 AM
Veteran

I noticed Global TV was added to Roku today (Monday)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 07:50 PM
Veteran

Yes... added the channel but with mixed results. Trying to activate it for live streaming and more significantly to unlock older content gives me the error (on the computer activation page): "Sorry you're not subscribed to this channel". Guess I need to subscribe to some streaming option as well as have the channel through my cable provider (and of course OTA).

Update: yes I signed into the globaltv website using my cable credentials prior to getting the error.

Last edited by North_of_Calgary; 2019-05-15 at 08:08 PM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-05-15, 07:54 PM

I originally posted this, wow it was so long ago but I since bought a Roku, Apple TV and Firestick so I gave the Chromecast to a friend.i did not remember my old login details.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-05-16, 09:12 AM

Tried to activate it on my Roku with my iPhone it wouldn’t work so then I tried my Android tablet instead. Worked like a charm. And yes you do need to have the channel through your cable provider. Kind of stupid in my opinion. Took it off Firestick.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-05-16, 09:30 AM
Veteran

Quote:
And yes you do need to have the channel through your cable provider.
This is an ad supported network that receives no money from BDUs for carriage. There is no reason for OTA networks to make this a requirement since they do not benefit financially. It may even be hurting the networks financially due to lower viewer numbers. However, their parent companies who own BDUs have a financial interest in forcing Canadians to subscribe to BDUs. It's just another example of how concentration of ownership in the broadcasting industry is hurting consumers in Canada.

To see how this could be done in the public interest, look at Freeview NZ and Freeview UK. Instead, the CRTC lets Canadian corporations profit by gutting and shutting down their OTA operations.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-05-16, 12:47 PM
Veteran

Seemed to work fine on my Roku using my Rogers Cable credential ... though I only tested watching live, and recent stuff. I'll try testing by digging into the archives.

Yeah, seems odd to requiring that you need cable TV credentials to watch live - with commercials - when you can just use OTA.

Perhaps time to write some comments to CRTC on upcoming Corus renewals ...

Edit - Yeah, no problem watching archived programming after signing on through Rogers.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-05-16, 01:01 PM
Veteran

I think that Shaw's LTSS program should be extended indefinitely and made mandatory for all BDUs. If the UK and NZ can do it, so can Canada.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 2019-05-16, 08:49 PM
Veteran

I sign into the GlobalTV site using my Shaw credentials but still can't activate. Any Shaw cable customers here that have activated the GlobalGo channel on the Roku successfully?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in