CraveTV streaming service - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-02-23, 02:57 PM

So frustrating! I was planning on catching up on Doctor Who next fall when it came on Netflix Canada.

I'm beginning to believe the theory that Bell Media is indeed trying to force consumers to purchase their Fibe/Satellite Services by tying up a good portion of the premium content and then placing it on their inferior, basically unusable streaming platform. Their complete disregard of some of the more popular steaming devices (roku, playstation etc) and their lame implementation of the service on the devices they are serving (with the possible exception of the Apple TV 3) reinforces this belief.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-02-23, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

@CSA60 From what I've read BBC has ended all streaming deals for all their programs with U.S. providers: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon. I don't think you can blame Bell Media for that.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-02-23 at 11:18 PM. Reason: typo
post #63 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-02-23, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
@CSA60 From what I've read BBC has ended all streaming deals for all their programs with U.S. providers: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon. I don't think you can Bell Media for that.
That's interesting and I completely missed it (or I've forgotten about it). A quick Google search revealed that BBC intends to start its own streaming service in the US (I predict it will fail) and that is why it is breaking with all its streaming partners on this side of 'the pond.'

I guess not in Canada though or else why the deal with Bell. It's impossible to know how negotiations went but I could argue Bell saw an opportunity and jumped on it. I'm sure BBC got more than it was getting with Netflix so all power to them.

That said, until Bell (and as I understand it Shaw/Rogers) show a genuine commitment to its (their) streaming service(s) in terms of accessibility (i.e. availability and usability), it is difficult not to question its (their) intent. It has been over a year now and progress has been extremely limited to say the least. They claim to have over 700,000 subscribers but I have yet to have a conversation with anyone about catching something on CraveTV (as you do with Netflix). I just don't think that many people are tuning in.

Of course this is all just my opinion and at the end of the day, it is only TV.

post #64 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-02-29, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

New Season of Critically Acclaimed Drama BOSCH Anchors CraveTV's March Lineup, Alongside Third Seasons of ORPHAN BLACK and INSIDE AMY SCHUMER, New HBO Content, and More

As the Canadian drama MOTIVE kicks off its fourth and final season, CraveTV offers a weekly first look at each episode the day before it premieres on CTV.

Friday, March 4
ORPHAN BLACK – Season 3 – found in the Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Action & Adventure, Dramas, All-Canadian Collections

HELLO LADIES and HELLO LADIES: THE MOVIE – found in the Comedies Collection, Sitcoms Collection, and The HBO Collection

WAY OUT WEST – Season 1 – found in the Reality TV Collection

50 FEET FROM SYRIA – found in the Documentaries Collection

Sunday, March 6
10 p.m. – BILLIONS – Season 1, Episode 7 – found in the Dramas Collection, Crime & Mystery Collection, and The Showtime Collection

Friday, March 11
MONTY PYTHON’S BEST BITS (MOSTLY) – found in the Documentaries Collection and Monty Python Collection

MONTY PYTHON: THE MEANING OF LIVE – found in the Documentaries Collection and Monty Python Collection

REGARDING SUSAN SONTAG – found in the documentaries Collection and The HBO Collection

STATE OF PLAY: BROKEN – found in the Sports Collection, Documentaries Collection, and The HBO Collection

STATE OF PLAY: CULTURE SHOCK– found in the Sports Collection, Documentaries Collection, and The HBO Collection

STATE OF PLAY: FIRST LADIES – found in the Sports Collection, Documentaries Collection, and The HBO Collection

STATE OF PLAY – HAPPINESS – found in the Sports Collection, Documentaries Collection, and The HBO Collection

DON’T BLINK – *Season 1* – found in the Reality TV collection

Saturday, March 12
BOSCH – Season 2 – found in the Crime & Mystery Collection and Dramas Collection

Sunday, March 13
10 p.m. – BILLIONS – Season 1, Episode 8 – found in the Dramas Collection, Crime & Mystery Collection, and The Showtime Collection

Friday, March 18
TAPIA – found in the Documentaries Collection, Sports Collection, and The HBO Collection,

MOONBEAM CITY – Season 1 – found in the Comedies Collection and Sitcoms
Collection

Sunday, March 20
10 p.m. – BILLIONS – Season 1, Episode 9 – found in the Dramas Collection, Crime & Mystery Collection, and The Showtime Collection

Monday, March 21
CRAVETV FIRST LOOK: MOTIVE – “The Vanishing Policeman” – found in the Crime & Mystery Collection, Dramas Collection, and All-Canadian Collection

Friday, March 25
INSIDE AMY SCHUMER – Season 3 – found in the Comedies Collection

AMY SCHUMER: MOSTLY SEX STUFF *Stand-up Special* – found in the Stand-Up Comedy Collection and Comedies Collection

Sunday, March 27
10 p.m. – BILLIONS – Season 1, Episode 10 – found in the Dramas Collection, Crime & Mystery Collection, and The Showtime Collection

Monday, March 28
CRAVETV FIRST LOOK: MOTIVE – “The Dead Name” – found in the Crime & Mystery Collection, Dramas Collection, and All-Canadian Collection

Additional Press Release:
CraveTV Acquires Gripping New Documentary 50 FEET FROM SYRIA
post #65 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 11:48 AM

Crave TV On Shaw

You can now subscribe to CraveTv through your Shaw account.

CraveTV, Watch Online, TV Via Internet | CraveTV | Shaw
andyk, Dr.Dave and mdl124 like this.
post #66 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-03-02, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Shaw and Bell Media issued a joint press release announcing that CraveTV can be bundled with your TV subscription on Shaw Cable or Shaw Direct. The service is not available through Shaw's set-top boxes.

CraveTV Now Available To Shaw Cable and Shaw Direct Customers for $6 a Month
mdl124 likes this.
post #67 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-03-02, 03:57 PM

Go on Facebook and b**tch about no Roku and one gets a canned response about how hard Bell's trying. Given the number of people on that page who say they'd subscribe if it was offered on Roku, you have to wonder what Bell's thinking. Looks like there are a lot of people who wouldn't subscribe to Bell TV but would be willing to pony up for CraveTV if it were available via their Roku devices. If Shomi does the Roku thing, I'd certainly give them a go.s
post #68 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-03-10, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

LETTERKENNY'S Huge Launch on CraveTV Fuels Second Season Order

CraveTV together with The Comedy Network, has ordered a second season of LETTERKENNY, which is set to shoot this spring in Sudbury. Today’s announcement comes ahead of LETTERKENNY arriving on The Comedy Network schedule later this year.

As part of today’s announcement, CraveTV revealed that LETTERKENNY had the biggest debut of any series on CraveTV since the premium TV streaming service launched in 2014, with more CraveTV users watching LETTERKENNY than any other series or title on CraveTV. To date, already nearly one in three CraveTV users have watched LETTERKENNY since it debuted on February 7.
post #69 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-03-13, 06:39 PM

Was trying to watch the first episode of S2 of Bosch on my Samsung, but it would not let me. A Player Error pop up appears " Sorry, too many users on this account are watching video right now. Please try again later.(49)" . I only get this for this episode all the other episodes stream and I tried other programs with no problems. I logged onto my computer and I could stream the episode. Very strange. Has this happen to anyone else. This occurred first last evening and I tried several times to stream it using my TV.
post #70 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-03-19, 01:29 PM

I am still on my 30-days free trial, and until recently, it has performed very well. However, as of a few days ago, I am encountering some problems.

Using my Apple TV 3 to stream and it has been flawless until a few days ago. Now I am getting lots of "Error loading content...try again later" messages. It happens in the middle of watching, and all I have to do is go back, reload the same episode, and that usually works fine. Occasionally, I have to do this a few times, until the stream resumes. The annoying thing is that sometimes this happens every 3-4 minutes.

If I stream the same episode on my computer, it works fine. I even tried the iOS app on my iPad, and that worked fine too, even though I've read a lot of bad comments about this app.

The whole thing is really weird. I'd love to have a smooth playback on my Apple TV, because that is the easiest way to get the picture on the HDTV screen.

I won't cancel my subscription yet, but give it another month instead. Hopefully, these are temporary issues. If they persists, then I guess there's no reason to continue.
post #71 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-03-20, 10:06 AM

DonR - have you rebooted your Apple TV?
post #72 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-03-20, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
DonR - have you rebooted your Apple TV?
I have cycled power, but I haven't reset it to factory default, if that's what you mean.
post #73 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-03-20, 04:36 PM

Are you running the AppleTV through an HDMI switching box to the TV? I had a problem with that. Also I'm running it wired to my router. No problems with it.

Andy K.
post #74 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-03-20, 05:51 PM

That's what I meant. I find that AppleTV is a little temperamental and needs a reboot once in a while before things start behaving again. I haven't had to factory reset it.
post #75 of 467 (permalink) Old 2016-03-21, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyk View Post
Are you running the AppleTV through an HDMI switching box to the TV? I had a problem with that. Also I'm running it wired to my router. No problems with it.
I am running the HDMI through my AV Receiver, same like for any other HDMI device in my system. As for network connection, it is hardwired directly to my router.

I may have noticed something, that could be relevant. Last night I watched the whole new episode of "Billions" without a single drop. That's about an hour of smooth streaming. Then I wanted to see some old episodes of "Curb Your Enthusiasm", and every few minutes I had a dropout. So, I went to my iPad, ran it from there, and watched 2 full episodes without any problem.

When I think back now, when these problems started for me a few days ago, I think it was always while watching "Curb Your Enthusiasm". Could this be related to certain streams only, even though, like I said, my iPad playback, airplayed through the Apple TV to the HDTV was smooth, without a single glitch. Strange.

Tags
bell media , cravetv , hbo canada , schedule , showtime , starz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in