CraveTV streaming service - Page 26 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #376 of 476 (permalink) Old 2018-11-26, 03:35 AM

I only have CraveTV and there are movies. Someone who subscribes to Crave + can probably answer that better. I gather it adds the movies that are normally on The Movie Network. — meshmellow

Telus 4K PVR & 2 wireless boxes; switched from Shaw for more HD and 4K channels, 3 AppleTVs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #377 of 476 (permalink) Old 2018-11-26, 11:41 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I gather it adds the movies that are normally on The Movie Network.
That is correct. Crave basic has third run movies and TV shows (similar to regular cable channels) plus legacy HBO shows and limited selection of more current TV shows. Crave++ adds current movies and TV shows from the Crave movie channels plus more recent and current HBO programming.

Bell has really created an identity issue by rebranding TMN as Crave. What does Crave refer to? It could be one of two things that are indistinguishable by name.

Crave++ is probably the best choice for chord cutters and maybe even BDU subscribers. Prices vary and subscribing through a BDU could end up costing more than the Crave++ OTT subscription.
post #378 of 476 (permalink) Old 2018-11-26, 12:18 PM

Thank you exDilbert. I just wish it was clear what's on Crave TV. THey'd better fix the schedule!

post #379 of 476 (permalink) Old 2018-12-05, 12:41 PM
Rookie

The new Crave app is now live on the Xbox.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/cr...%3Aoverviewtab
Dr.Dave likes this.

Last edited by TB4XSBW; 2018-12-05 at 01:27 PM.
post #380 of 476 (permalink) Old 2018-12-06, 08:18 AM

Does anyone else find that Crave is terrible at remembering progress in a series? Often when I go to watch an episode of a series that I'm watching it will try to start me halfway through the previous episode. Annoying. I use the web interface on various computers.
nfitz likes this.
post #381 of 476 (permalink) Old 2018-12-06, 11:44 AM
Rookie

The Crave app on my TV hasn't had any issue remembering progress correctly.
post #382 of 476 (permalink) Old 2018-12-06, 12:27 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallmj View Post
I use the web interface on various computers.
I'm wondering if the cookies placed on various computers would interfere with the correct restarts? For example, one computer may say - last viewed episode 3 at 12 minutes, while another computer may say last viewed episode 5 at 8 minutes...

I'm not sure if Crave "stores" information regarding individual users in the cloud so it would know better, or if cookies override this...

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #383 of 476 (permalink) Old 2018-12-06, 01:03 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Does anyone else find that Crave is terrible at remembering progress in a series? Often when I go to watch an episode of a series that I'm watching it will try to start me halfway through the previous episode. Annoying.
I have the same issue, almost every time. That's with the Crave app on the same phone without closing down the app or using any other devices. It cannot remember my place from one day to the next but insists on resuming where I left off two sessions previously. One time it even resumed on the wrong season. It skipped from season 2 episode 2 to season 1 episode 6. What a piece of garbage.

Another time I missed the end of an episode and wanted to go back to the previous episode. Crave wouldn't do it. Every time I went to the episode list and told it to play episode 9 it started to play episode 10. It insisted on resuming where I left off despite being told to play a specific episode. After several tries it finally did what I wanted. Annoying? I'd say negligent.

I would expect nothing less from a Canadian service. They're still using the same broken system that TMN Go and Shomi used that have a ridiculous number of cross links to various other web pages and services. The browser based security is so time consuming and frustrating to navigate that they should be paying their customers to figure it out. Almost any type of security or privacy software seems to break it. Netflix is so much easier to use it's like night and day.
smallmj likes this.
post #384 of 476 (permalink) Old 2018-12-07, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Crave’s new original series MUCH STUDIOS PRESENTS: MIKE ON MUCH IN CONVERSATION WITH… debuts on Friday, Dec. 21 with eight episodes ranging in length from 30-45 minutes. The series joins Crave’s new “From the Interweb” Collection – also launching on December 21 – which features other titles that were inspired by web series or podcasts such as HBO’s POD SAVE AMERICA, 2 DOPE QUEENS, and HIGH MAINTENANCE.

Celebrity interviews featured in the eight episodes include Alessia Cara, Jared Keeso (LETTERKENNY), Jodie Whittaker (DOCTOR WHO), Leon Bridges, Lights, Nile Rodgers, Noel Gallagher, and Sting & Shaggy.

Full Press Release
post #385 of 476 (permalink) Old 2018-12-12, 08:27 AM

I tried watching episode 1 of Arrow last night using Crave on my FireTV basic last night. The CC/subtitles were way ahead of the dialog, and the audio mix was a bit off. The music and sound effects were very loud but the dialog was too quiet.

I'm just using the speakers built in to my TV, no fancy sound system.

Is it a problem with the app, my settings, or just a badly mixed program?
post #386 of 476 (permalink) Old 2018-12-12, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

@smallmj I can offer some suggestions and background. Can you play the same episode on another device or a computer? That will probably confirm whether the problem is with the encoding of the episode or the Fire TV app.

The Closed Captioning file, including the timing, would be provided with the original program. There's a possibility there's a problem with is with the Fire TV app.

Crave only streams in stereo, so there probably isn't much you can do about the audio mix. I don't know if Crave gets the stereo audio stream from their supplier or if they down-mix from 5.1.
post #387 of 476 (permalink) Old 2018-12-12, 02:51 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
Crave only streams in stereo, so there probably isn't much you can do about the audio mix. I don't know if Crave gets the stereo audio stream from their supplier or if they down-mix from 5.1.
Not only do they stream in stereo, the max resolution is 720P for most material streamed via the apps (except ATV4).

Just as an FYI, I've been watching the series "Bosch" via Crave/Drama on Channel 309 (On Demand) on my Rogers STB and it's DD5.1, so they have DD5.1 available. I don't believe I can check the incoming video resolution.

From the Crave FAQ:

Quote:
On Crave.ca, users can control the quality of their video playback. In the video player, click on the gear icon in the bottom right corner. Users can select from a list of video playback options with 720p being the best quality available. An hour of 720p playback will use approximately 2.5GB of data.

Approximate amount of data used per bitrate:

1080p - 2.6GB/hour (Apple TV Generation 4 only)
720p – 2.5GB/hour
540p – 1.1GB/hour
360p – 800MB/hour
240p – 320MB/hour
https://www.crave.ca/help-and-freque...tions-74295754
Dr.Dave likes this.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #388 of 476 (permalink) Old 2018-12-12, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the offers of help. I watched a few minutes of the same episode on my laptop (Linux x64/Chrome). The audio mix was much better. The captions were still out of sync.

I've looked for settings that can be adjusted in the FireTV menu and the TV menu. The FireTV Basic stick has options for Dolby Digital output (DD Plus Automatic, off, DD Plus over HDMI, DD over HDMI) The TV (a cheap Haier 40") has a surround sound setting that can be turned off. I'll adjust these settings one by one and see if the mix is better.
post #389 of 476 (permalink) Old 2018-12-12, 06:50 PM
Veteran

Crave tv may not work properly on Fire tv stick because the app has not been upgraded yet to the new Crave app that is now available.
post #390 of 476 (permalink) Old 2018-12-12, 09:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev fan View Post
Crave tv may not work properly on Fire tv stick because the app has not been upgraded yet to the new Crave app that is now available.
It's working okay (or at least as okay as Crave ever works) on my Fire stick.

It worked a lot better on my Android before the upgrade. Nothing would play afterwards. They've upgraded it again at least twice more in the last few days on my Android. It's pretty much back to it's old flakey self. On one hand, they have added download capability. On the other hand, that hasn't worked yet. I've downloaded a few things ... and not one will play.

Meanwhile Netflix on Android works flawlessly, including downloads.

Same old Bell Canada ...

Tags
bell media , cravetv , hbo canada , schedule , showtime , starz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in