Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

CraveTV streaming service

243K views 680 replies 103 participants last post by  Peppermint P 
#1 · (Edited)
Please use this thread to discuss the CraveTV video streaming service, which is now available to all Canadians. The previous thread in the TV Providers forum discussing the initial launch through Bell and some other TV providers is now closed to new comments, but is still available for viewing.
Bell Media Launches CraveTV Streaming Service

CraveTV is available through some TV providers or directly from CraveTV. The direct price is higher at $7.99 a month with a 1 month free trial.

Useful Links:
Web site: http://www.cravetv.ca/
FAQ: http://help.cravetv.ca/
EDIT: The FAQ has now been updated.

#30 ·
Just tried it on my PC at work. Windows 7 on a 1 gig/sec connection. Still 16 x 9 SD but the stutter is less noticeable. Does anyone know anyway to convince a streaming source that my android TV box isn't a smartphone? An app perhaps?

#31 ·
Its likely because android is considered a MOBILE OS generally.. and the app is a 'mobile' app.. can be loaded on android TV boxes.. but its still a mobile app.

(comparing to the apple TV and an iPhone.. its a different OS, different app, etc.)

#32 ·
Does Chromecast run Android? If so maybe I can convince Crave, my Android TV box is a Chromecast. The managed devices section properly identified my box as a Android Neo-X8-H, so it is quite possible for Crave to know I am not running Crave on a phone.

#37 · (Edited)
No, the person said that it did not work properly because it was freezing all the time.

The highest resolution on Crave tv is 720P no matter which device is being used, but from what I have tested Crave tv will not work on some of the android players and some of the android players will have better resolution than others.

#38 ·
@bev fan are you getting SD resolution with CraveTV on your Android box and can you measure throughput? The FAQ says a mobile device "can range from 0.2GB to 0.9 GB per hour. However, on many connected devices (AppleTV, Chromecast, etc.), the range of HD streaming rates are between 0.9GB to 2.4 GB per hour."

You should be able to take a snapshot of the Android "Settings/Data Usage" for the app before and after watching for a specific amount of time.

#42 ·
CraveTV, Now Available to Everybody, Boasts All New Content For February Including the Newly Curated All-Canadian Collection and First CraveTV Original Series LETTERKENNY

The All-Canadian Collection

Launching February 5, the All-Canadian Collection includes more than 1,200 assets and more than 60 series. The All-Canadian Collection debuts with JONATHAN STRANGE & MR NORRELL; the 28-episode, 14th Season of the cult-hit, DEGRASSI; as well as other Canadian hits, including: ORPHAN BLACK, 19-2, CORNER GAS, THE BORGIAS, SAVING HOPE, FLASHPOINT, HOW TO CHANGE THE WORLD, MASTERCHEF CANADA, MOTIVE, THE LISTENER, and much more.

Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 7
LETTERKENNY – *Season 1* – found in the Comedy Collection, What’s New Collection, and All-Canadian Collection
10 p.m. – BILLIONS – Season 1, Episode 4

Tuesday, Feb. 9
TREME – *Season 1- 4* – found in the Drama Collection, Music Collection, What’s New Collection, and HBO Collection

Friday, Feb. 12
THE JINX: THE LIFE AND DEATHS OF ROBERT DURST – found in the Documentary Collection, Crime & Mystery Collections, and HBO Collection

Sunday, Feb. 14
10 p.m. – BILLIONS – Season 1, Episode 5

Friday, Feb. 19
GREASE: LIVE – *Live Musical Special Launch* – found in the Drama Collection, Comedy Collection, Music Collection, and Teen Drama Collection.
EASTBOUND & DOWN – *Season 1-4* – found in the Comedy Collection, Sports Collection, What’s New Collection, and HBO Collection

Sunday, Feb. 21
10 p.m. – BILLIONS – Season 1, Episode 6

#50 ·
I get the impression that CraveTV is adding new shows at the same rate as before it was open to the public. The only change was showing Billions on CraveTV on the same day as it airs on their premium movie channel, The Movie Network. That was probably a result of the special long-term contract they negotiated with Showtime last year.

#51 ·
My experience is the same. I have a soon-to-be-expired subscription to Showtime via my Roku and seldom have a problem watching any show on a rural wireless internet service (up to 12mbps). Ditto for Netflix, no buffering, no lagging. Certainly can't say the same for CraveTV over my 9241. Takes forever to load my choice, terrible choppy picture, constant buffering and a really amateurish bare-bones interface. It's included in my 4-month promo for TMN, otherwise, no way I'd subscribe. Like others, I'm still waiting for the long-promised Roku channel to make its appearance. Apparently Bell doesn't believe customers might prefer to watch content on their 50" TVs rather than 8" phones. Go figure!

#53 ·
99semaj wrote: Does anyone else notice the stream stutters a lot?
Yes, I see the stutter on both my Android tv box and my Samsung laptop with HDMI on my HD 42 inch TV. The same content on Netflix is smooth and has more detail.

#60 · (Edited)
Bell Media and BBC Worldwide North America Sign Exclusive Multi-Platform Deal for DOCTOR WHO

As a result of the new multi-platform agreement, CraveTV becomes the exclusive Canadian streaming service of DOCTOR WHO beginning with Season 9 this summer. Seasons 1-8 will be available exclusively on the service by the end of 2016. Season 10 and additional upcoming DOCTOR WHO episodes will also be streamed exclusively on CraveTV following their full-season broadcasts on Space.

DOCTOR WHO returns later this year on Space with an all-new 2016 Christmas special, followed by the premiere of Season 10 in Spring 2017.