CraveTV streaming service - Page 15 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #211 of 475 (permalink) Old 2017-11-25, 12:07 PM
Veteran

Wow. Lot's of stuff I would like to see leaving, much more than I could watch by Dec10. Very little I would like to see starting soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 475 (permalink) Old 2017-11-25, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

MONTY PYTHON, PERSON OF INTEREST, MANHATTAN, UTOPIA and the music documentaries were all part of the initial launch on Dec. 11, 2014, so that would mark the end of a 3-year contract.
See these posts - http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/12-t...ml#post2357225
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/12-t...ml#post2352193

It's quite possible the others expiring on Dec. 10 have also been available on CraveTV for 3 years as well, so there have been plenty of opportunities to watch.
post #213 of 475 (permalink) Old 2017-11-25, 09:50 PM
Veteran

Only if I'm subscribed, which I couldn't do for over two years due to Bell's policies.

I subscribed to catch a few of the shows before 12/10. Tried two PCs and 4 different browsers. Checked the troubleshooting FAQs. Nothing will play. Netflix and TMN Go work fine. CraveTV is really broken though. Between my efforts and CraveTV support it wasted hours of my time. It's still not working. I'm not surprised that it doesn't. CraveTV links to and does cross scripting with over a dozen different sites. An error on any of them causes a failure with logging in or playback. It must be a nightmare to maintain. It also uses Flash Player and 3rd party cookies which are deprecated in any secure browser. Shomi had a similar mess with it's service and I got that working without too much trouble. It looks to me like some of the same people set both services up. The CraveTV web site doesn't use HTTPS and they want me to lower my browser security. What a bunch of idiots. Meanwhile the clock is ticking.

CraveTV works on Android but I have no Chromecast until at least next week. (Just purchased one on sale.) Even the CraveTV app has issues. I use 16-20 random character passwords for most sites. That's easily manageable with LastPass. CraveTV doesn't work with LastPass. CraveTV won't even let me copy the email and password to the clipboard and paste it into the app. (Not secure but only needed once with most apps that don't work with LastPass.) Tried typing it in which requires switching back and forth between windows. Made one wrong touch and the CraveTV app closed the login dialog and I had to start over. Type one wrong character and the login fails and I must start over. What will happen if I let too much time pass or login on two other devices? Will CraveTV log me out and make me start over like Shomi did? What a POS app.

Another issue is the 5 device limit. I've exceeded the limit just trying to make it work on 2 devices. Every browser counts as a separate device. Just changing browser setting sometimes counts as a separate device. What a POS service.

post #214 of 475 (permalink) Old 2017-11-26, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

I see your point.
post #215 of 475 (permalink) Old 2017-11-26, 05:08 PM

The Android app regularly logs me out for no apparent reason, and crashes about half the time I try to cast something, so you have that to look forward to as well. Their content library is decent, enough so to keep me subscribed, but the infrastructure behind it is just embarrassingly bad, and hasn't gotten meaningfully better that I've noticed in well over a year.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #216 of 475 (permalink) Old 2017-11-26, 11:47 PM
Veteran

I was logged out as well. Shomi used to log me out on a daily basis and TMN Go still does so I expected nothing better with CraveTV. I don't have any issues like that with Netflix. Fortunately, paste worked with the app this time so there was less typing. It's still a PITA logging in without LastPass compatibility though. It's usually not a big issue with LastPass since it does automatic login with most apps and web sites. I say most because Canadian streaming sites are often broken due to weird login procedures. Not sure if that's an app issue or a LastPass issue. It makes no difference at this end. I tried Miracasting video to Windows 10. That was another colossal failure. Haven't heard anything back from CraveTV about the ticket they opened yet.
post #217 of 475 (permalink) Old 2017-12-10, 12:10 PM
Veteran

Discovered the reason for lack of playback in Windows. I use a program called Spybot Anti-Beacon to disable tracking and spyware in Windows 10. Applying the program's settings causes playback in CraveTV to fail, disabling them lets playback work again. Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to enable or disable individual settings so it's an all or nothing option. This also makes finding the individual tracking option that is causing the problem difficult. I've been using Spybot Anti-Beacon since installing Windows 10 over two years ago. It appears that CraveTV wants to track something that most other media services don't and fails to report any diagnostics. Bell was no help in resolving the issue. They called back once but their suggestions were just a repeat of what was tried during the initial call. I haven't heard back since.

I've been using the Android app with a Chromecast Ultra to watch programming. There are two serious issues with the app. One is that it turns the device's multimedia volume to maximum when starting playback and down to zero when it stops or times out. That has the potential to damage the device's speakers due to excessive volume since the default is for casting to be off when playback starts. The other is wasted time trying to find out why there is no sound when using other media apps after watching CraveTV. I have yet to find another app that takes such liberties with device volume settings.

The other issue is that, unlike Netflix, there appears to be no way to change video quality and limit data usage in the CraveTV app. Considering the high overage rates charged by Bell, $2/GB on some plans, it appears that Bell is potentially using CraveTV to victimize it's own internet customers. Data usage during the first two days amounted to over 10% of the current plan's monthly cap, which would result in overage charges after about 20 days. Other companies charge up to $3/GB with a $200 limit. That could be catastrophic for someone on a limited income.
post #218 of 475 (permalink) Old 2017-12-10, 02:54 PM
Veteran

One can get unlimited internet from $30 a month. Get used Apple TV for $30 and problem solved.
post #219 of 475 (permalink) Old 2017-12-10, 10:38 PM
Veteran

Discovered some more issues with CraveTV. I increase the desktop scale to make desktop items and text more readable. The player uses the actual screen resolution instead of the virtual resolution. This results in a large portion the video plus the player controls being off screen. The tab or browser window must be closed to stop playback. Then the desktop scale must be changed to 100% and the system rebooted. This is not friendly for individuals with visual handicaps.

When I return to CraveTV in Chrome it shows me a logged in. When I try to play a video screen I end up with a black screen. When I stop playback it then shows me a logged out. Then I must log back in to watch anything. The workaround is to log out and login before doing anything. What a time waster.

I received the dreaded "too many devices" message again today. Despite the Chromecast Ultra being plugged into the same port on the TV and connected to the exact same network the entire time, CraveTV added it to the device list 3 times. That's in addition to my tablet and phone that are used to cast to the Chromecast Ultra. What kind of idiotic account protection scheme is this?

Again, stuff like does not usually happen with Netflix. Canadian streaming services are just too painful to use at any price. CraveTV costs me more in time and aggravation than it is worth.
emmy1500 likes this.
post #220 of 475 (permalink) Old 2017-12-11, 11:21 AM
Veteran

It's the end of day 6 and internet usage is at almost 1/4 of the monthly cap. At the current rate, data overage charges will amount to well over $100. With no apparent way to lower data use in CraveTV, we are faced with either not using the service for about a week, curtailing daily usage or switching internet plans. Switching plans using the same ISP will almost double our monthly internet bill. Switching to a TPIA (which has been problematic in the past) will incur a smaller increase in cost. It's ironic that people who subscribe to legal services from Canadian providers get screwed in this way. The same programming with 'good enough' video and audio quality could probably be streamed from Netflix or downloaded illegally using less than half the data. I'm not going to do that but it just shows how law abiding Canadians are getting the shaft from Canadian BDUs and ISPs. Something needs to change at their end if Canadian broadcasters want Canadians to adopt their streaming services.

I would like to add that the video and audio quality using CraveTV with a Chromecast Ultra is very good. That's with a 4K TV, though the content was a mix of SD and HD. It's just too bad that all the other issues get in the way.
post #221 of 475 (permalink) Old 2017-12-11, 03:33 PM

I'm getting new Telus 4K boxes installed tomorrow, and I took a chance to switch my grandfathered plan to current one at no cost (essentials + 8 pack). One of the packs I've chosen is CraveTV (it's "pack of 1"). It's going to be interesting to see if traffic for it is included in OptikTV subscription or it's coming on top of Internet plan.

EDIT: I guess I can answer this question right now. This is from Telus' web page
Quote:
Data usage while watching CraveTV
On your Optik TV set top box
Viewing Crave TV using your Optik TV set-top does not consume data.

On your TV or computer
Streaming video will use between 0.2 and 0.9 GB per hour of viewing
post #222 of 475 (permalink) Old 2017-12-11, 05:29 PM
Veteran

That figure is for portable devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://help.cravetv.ca/
• How much bandwidth will I use while streaming video on CraveTV?
This will depend on the device you are accessing CraveTV with. If on a mobile device, then it can range from 0.2GB to 0.9 GB per hour. However, on many connected devices (AppleTV, Chromecast, etc.), the range of HD streaming rates are between 0.9GB to 2.4 GB per hour.
Count on it being 2.4 GB per hour for viewing HD content on a high speed connection.
post #223 of 475 (permalink) Old 2017-12-11, 11:12 PM

I guess I'll stick with OptikTV for watching CraveTV. Doesn't count towards internet bandwidth. Hope signal is decent.

Last edited by 57; 2017-12-12 at 12:18 AM. Reason: UQR
post #224 of 475 (permalink) Old 2017-12-12, 10:48 AM
Veteran

I reactivated Netflix for the holidays yesterday and used it with the Chromecast Ultra for the first time. The experience was in direct contrast to CraveTV. Netflix reactivation consisted in verifying my ID and payment data. Then it just worked, flawlessly. It took a couple of minutes to find the option to limit the video quality (and data rate) to a level that won't exceed the data cap. That can easily be bumped up temporarily for high quality content that needs it.The comparison between CraveTV and Netflix is like night and day. The Netflix app and browser interface had no unwanted side effects, no login issues and no compatibility issues.
post #225 of 475 (permalink) Old 2017-12-15, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Another Six-Pack of LETTERKENNY to Launch Christmas Day

CraveTV Acquires New Big-Buzz Spy-Thriller COUNTERPART, Starring J.K. Simmons
CraveTV announced today that it has secured exclusive Canadian streaming rights for the highly anticipated, new, 10-episode, sci-fi drama COUNTERPART. Episode 1 is now available to subscribers as a CraveTV First Look before the series makes its official debut on Sunday, January 21. Episode 2 begins streaming Sunday, January 28 at 8 p.m. ET, day-and-date with Starz in the U.S.

EDIT:
CraveTV Raves: All of HBO Canada Original Series SENSITIVE SKIN now steaming

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2017-12-16 at 12:48 PM. Reason: added SENSITIVE SKIN

Tags
bell media , cravetv , hbo canada , schedule , showtime , starz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in